Warnemunde to Berlin? By train?

Hello ! German local here. Anyone traveling June-August with the German Rail need to keep in mind Germany has a special 9 euro monthly fare going on right now. Yes you heard me correctly. 9 euros will get you all you can ride on all trains and most public transport systems. ( buses, tram, subway) 

EXCLUDED are the ICE or IC or fast city trains.. if you searh for trains look for RE/RB. 

NOW!!!! keeping this in mind. Trains from anywhere in Germany, including Berlin to any sea side, mountain can be HELL on earth or not.. Depends on how full the trains are and there are school holidays.. I am not sure how long the warnemunde to Berlin RE train is, but 9 euros will get you there and back. Just check when you plan to travel- could be crowded. 

On 6/20/2022 at 7:53 AM, Scottishclover said:

Wismar is quite similar to Rostock, only smaller. The molli is fun. There is a  lovely castle/palace in Schwerin, if that’s your thing. Ahrenshoop  is a pretty artist’s colony on Fischland- Darss- Zingst peninsula but might be difficult on public transport. I love the island of Ruegen and you can get a train to the main town of Binz. There are some stunning beaches in the area for windswept walks or sunbathing. It’s worth looking into M-V ticket from Deutsche Bahn if you are using the train. 

A tip for Rostock: you can get a leaflet from the tourist info on University Square and walk round the old town walls ( only some parts remain). I worked as a language assistant 25 years ago and have been back a few times to visit friends, most recently in 2018. Each time there’s more to discover and experience and it’s very easy to get around.

Sounds great! Will look into doing a day trip to Rügen Island and the steam ride to Gohren.

At this time, I would not consider taking the train on your own.  Germany is issuing 9 euro a month tickets for any regional train.  The train system is completely over crowded and trains are continuously running late.  I went on a weekend trip this weekend and the trains were standing room only (even saw an ICE train that was standing room only) and all my trains were running 20-35 minutes late, which means you are likely to miss any connections that you may have.  These tickets will be on sale June, July and August.  We live in Germany and I am done with trains for the time being. 

6 hours ago, couplelovestravel said:

At this time, I would not consider taking the train on your own.  Germany is issuing 9 euro a month tickets for any regional train.  The train system is completely over crowded and trains are continuously running late.  I went on a weekend trip this weekend and the trains were standing room only (even saw an ICE train that was standing room only) and all my trains were running 20-35 minutes late, which means you are likely to miss any connections that you may have.  These tickets will be on sale June, July and August.  We live in Germany and I am done with trains for the time being. 

Hi and yikes!  We were able to reserve seats on a first class train for a trip in 2 weeks. Safe to say these will be honored by the rail system in your experience?  Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, emkenya1 said:

Hi and yikes!  We were able to reserve seats on a first class train for a trip in 2 weeks. Safe to say these will be honored by the rail system in your experience?  Thanks in advance!

Sure, the reservations will generaly work. Only if there is some kind of irregularity like a train has broken down or something, your reservations might not be valid anymore.

Even than, you still hold a first class ticket and the 9 Euro local trains second class ticket does not affect you.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, carlmm said:

Sure, the reservations will generaly work. Only if there is some kind of irregularity like a train has broken down or something, your reservations might not be valid anymore.

Even than, you still hold a first class ticket and the 9 Euro local trains second class ticket does not affect you.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:04 PM, emkenya1 said:

You are probably on an ICE train and you should not be effected too much, especially since you have first class and seat reservations.  This mainly pertains to regional trains, but it is quite hectic at the train stations right now.  

2 hours ago, couplelovestravel said:

This mainly pertains to regional trains, but it is quite hectic at the train stations right now.  

Indeed, I am standing squeezes i an overly full regional train and I amlooking forward to change unto an IC next station.😆

I’ve just got off a regional train from Kufstein in Austria to Munich on a €9 ticket. While the train was busier than usual, there were still seats so it probably depends on the route. It would be a long stand to Berlin from Warnemunde mind you but €9 is a real bargain.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, Scottishclover said:

I’ve just got off a regional train from Kufstein in Austria to Munich on a €9 ticket. While the train was busier than usual, there were still seats so it probably depends on the route. It would be a long stand to Berlin from Warnemunde mind you but €9 is a real bargain.

Few questions:

1. Doesnt train start from Warmunde? if so, getting seats that difficult at the starting point?

2.  Are these Euro 9 fares valid on trains between Warnemunde and Berlin?  (on ICE trains? I saw a comment about standing room on ICE trains)

56 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Few questions:

1. Doesnt train start from Warmunde? if so, getting seats that difficult at the starting point?

2.  Are these Euro 9 fares valid on trains between Warnemunde and Berlin?  (on ICE trains? I saw a comment about standing room on ICE trains)

Found out that 9 euro tickets are not valid on ICE train (so that comment about standing room on ICE train may be indirect effect of so many people traveling?)

its not just train pass. It seems it can be used on metro, subway, trams and bus too.

2 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Found out that 9 euro tickets are not valid on ICE train (so that comment about standing room on ICE train may be indirect effect of so many people traveling?)

its not just train pass. It seems it can be used on metro, subway, trams and bus too.

At 0.30 eurocentas a day, unlimited local/regional travel  and resulting expected overcrowding,  it should be named "lets spread covid" pass.

Edited by hal2008
  • Haha 2