Flying in the day of the cruise

gailellen12

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

So now, we have a shortage of pilots (both domestically and around the world) and it will take a period of time (measured in years) to train and qualify new/replacement pilots.  The airlines simply do not have enough qualified pilots to handle the old schedules and had to pick and choose which flights to keep.  The maximum monthly flying hours for a commercial pilot in the USA is in the 75-100 hour range.  I believe their is no way that these pilots can fly more than 100 hours in a 30 day period.  So most of the airlines are now having issues because of the pilot shortage and there is not much they can do in the short term.  So with fewer pilots and fewer scheduled flights combined with a new surge in folks flying you get a bad situation.

I have genuinely considered this. I am an aero engineer and a private pilot, so I definitely have aviation in my blood. I always avoided going down the career pilot route because I wanted to travel the world, and I would most likely end up flying ERJs from O'Hare to Cedar Rapids, rather than 744s from Hong Kong to Johannesburg. But now that I've been living out of a suitcase globally for so many years, the pilot route is starting to sound more attractive again. I probably won't do it...but I've thought about it.

My 21 year old cousin is training to be a pilot at university, I think she's picking a great time to get in to it. I think she'll be right seat on an ERJ/CRJ next year, and odds are she'll be advancing pretty quickly over the next 10 years or so. 

On 3/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, gailellen12 said:

I know it is better to fly in a day ahead, but I don’t have that flexibility. I need to give an exam and then home and to the airport, arriving on the day of my cruise. I would love to hear from people who have do this often and Unfortunately  I have no choice this time. The only positive is I booked my flight with my cruise line so help will be at hand

You booked with the cruiseline, but once they make the reservation, it leaves their hands.  I did this for our Hawaii cruise in November.   They said once they tell us the flight, we call the airline and pick seats, etc.