Flying to Papeete

amunhbuu

Hello,

We have some FCC from a cancelled cruise a few weeks ago.  I was poking around looking at cruises out of Papeete.  What is the strategy for flying in and out?  It looks like the two options are from SFO or LAX.  I am having a hard time deciphering when you need to be in by, etc.

Thanks!

I don't trust any strategy anymore since COVID. Now with the horrifying war in Ukraine and world situation who knows. But we usually fly in at least a day prior- the ATN LAX flight that arrives at 11:30pm... and departs 9:30pm on the day of arrival in port.  We stay at a B&B on both ends that provides airport service. Just what I do not what's really optimal.

• Like 1

We've done the United flight from SFO and it was a great option. Good connections into SFO from around the country, and a late afternoon departure gets you in at about Midnight, at least when we did this. The return left late in the evening, getting you into SFO in time to make various connection. This is on a 787.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amunhbuu said:

Thanks!

I forgot to add what's perhaps obvious, when I fly United I earn miles (or can use them!) And get club access on each end, in SFO at the POLARIS lounge, in PPT they share the Air Tahiti Nui lounge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I’ll be headed to Papeete and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on rides from the airport to our hotel. Did you find a taxi easily? Or did you hire a transportation service? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We stay at Fare Suisse if we just plan an overnite. The place is humble but immaculate and walking distance to restaurants, grocery store and Hertz. It's very popular with cruisers and often difficult to find space. The beauty is that the owners pick you up the the airport anytime day or night and drop you off at the port next day. Not a place to spend more than a nite or two but very congenial hosts, and comfy surroundings. Very reasonable for what you get.

• Like 1