Palamos, Spain Port Stop - Questions

DENIE

Hi!  First time to Spain and the port of Palamos.  We will be on the June 15 Oceania Riviera cruise that stops here just before the cruise ends in Barcelona.  I am not seeing a whole lot of tour options, and many take you to Barcelona, which we will be at the following day.  I seems to be a very small village.  At this time, we will probably just get off the ship and perhaps wander around and maybe find some good food and wine.  Has anyone been here before that can give us an idea what to expect?  Any really good restaurants, tapas, and wine stops here?  Appreciate any suggestions.  🙂

We went there on a port stop but our plans didn't come to pass as it was unusually wet that day.

it isn't only a "little village", I think there are not far short of 20,000 people living there.

It is actually famous for its fresh prawnsand located in a scenic section of the Costa Brava.

You may find tours offered to Barcelona, but also to Girona and, if you like Dali, Figueras.

After deciding against a tour we had to look hard to find alternative ways to spend the day.

We eventually  decided to walk one of the coastal trails of which there are several.  I had to look it up just now but we wanted to walk to Cala s'.Agueler and take the bus back (or vice versa), then watch the fish auction at the harbour close to the ship. 

The area ia actually well known for the many hiking trails and coastal paths which begin and/or end in Palomas passing alongside some of the best scenery in the area.. Hiking not being our "thing" we were only to follow a path alongside pretty coves, There should be lots of info online if you search for either Palamos hiking trails or coastal paths. And there is a quite famous "Camino" you could also walk.

I think the tourist office has a map of a walking route around town but we didn't do that so have no idea what the local points of interest might be..  They were actually really helpful when I contacted them about a bus to either get us to our start point at Cala s'Agueler, or to get us back from our end point at Cala s'Agueler.

Due to the heavy rain, we stayed onboard and only ventured out for a short walk along the promenade when it cleared a little.

Wherever you decide to eat, you might want to try the local prawns/gambas.

Edited by edinburgher

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

We went there on a port stop but our plans didn't come to pass as it was unusually wet that day.

it isn't only a "little village", I think there are not far short of 20,000 people living there.

It is actually famous for its fresh prawnsand located in a scenic section of the Costa Brava.

You may find tours offered to Barcelona, but also to Girona and, if you like Dali, Figueras.

After deciding against a tour we had to look hard to find alternative ways to spend the day.

We eventually  decided to walk one of the coastal trails of which there are several.  I had to look it up just now but we wanted to walk to Cala s'.Agueler and take the bus back (or vice versa), then watch the fish auction at the harbour close to the ship. 

The area ia actually well known for the many hiking trails and coastal paths which begin and/or end in Palomas passing alongside some of the best scenery in the area.. Hiking not being our "thing" we were only to follow a path alongside pretty coves, There should be lots of info online if you search for either Palamos hiking trails or coastal paths. And there is a quite famous "Camino" you could also walk.

I think the tourist office has a map of a walking route around town but we didn't do that so have no idea what the local points of interest might be..  They were actually really helpful when I contacted them about a bus to either get us to our start point at Cala s'Agueler, or to get us back from our end point at Cala s'Agueler.

Due to the heavy rain, we stayed onboard and only ventured out for a short walk along the promenade when it cleared a little.

Wherever you decide to eat, you might want to try the local prawns/gambas.

Thanks Edinburgher!

It sounds like a wonderful place to get off the ship and walk around.  I Googled the prawns/gambas, and looks like that will be an absolute MUST  try!  Thanks for your response!

We will be winding down a 10 day port-intensive cruise, so think we may just relax and enjoy walking around the port and trying the prawns/gambas.

I think the Palamos prawns/gambas are reputed to be amongst the best in the world. We saw them on menus in Barcelona and they were specifically described as Palamos gambas, a possible indication that the name ensured high quality.

I wonder if your head chef might buy some for dinner onboard that evening?😀

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I have been to Palamos a few times on port stops. I have used a local taxi company run by Jose to take me to Pals and Peretellada once, then another time we went all things Salvador Dali. This time in July we are just going to the beach and eat good food near the beach.

The first time we went it was a Sunday and a lot of things were closed so be aware. That was also a stay in town down. There is an interesting, to me, maritime museum at the entrance to the port. Lunch by the port of razor clams, gammas, salad and sangria was very nice but I think it would be less touristy a bit further away. Which is what we plan this visit.

8 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I have been to Palamos a few times on port stops. I have used a local taxi company run by Jose to take me to Pals and Peretellada once, then another time we went all things Salvador Dali. This time in July we are just going to the beach and eat good food near the beach.

The first time we went it was a Sunday and a lot of things were closed so be aware. That was also a stay in town down. There is an interesting, to me, maritime museum at the entrance to the port. Lunch by the port of razor clams, gammas, salad and sangria was very nice but I think it would be less touristy a bit further away. Which is what we plan this visit.

Thank you frantic36!  

1 hour ago, DENIE said:

gammas,

1 hour ago, DENIE said:

That was also a stay in town down

This is what happens when you wake up too early and then don't proof read before posting.

I meant "gambas" and "also a stay in town" 😁

• Haha 1