Short port call in Victoria....Butchart Gardens doable?

We'll be in Victoria, BC in mid-May on the way back to San Francisco (inside passage cruise on the Ruby Princess).  This is our 3rd attempt to visit since Covid caused the pause (cancelled 2020 & 2021 cruises, like so many others).   I've really wanted to visit Butchart Gardens, but on this sailing, we'll only be in Victoria from 6am to 12noon.   Because of the limited time, I would lean toward booking the ship's excursion to make sure we get back to the ship in time.

My question is, would it be worth it to visit the gardens for this length of time in port?  

3 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

We'll be in Victoria, BC in mid-May on the way back to San Francisco (inside passage cruise on the Ruby Princess).  This is our 3rd attempt to visit since Covid caused the pause (cancelled 2020 & 2021 cruises, like so many others).   I've really wanted to visit Butchart Gardens, but on this sailing, we'll only be in Victoria from 6am to 12noon.   Because of the limited time, I would lean toward booking the ship's excursion to make sure we get back to the ship in time.

My question is, would it be worth it to visit the gardens for this length of time in port?  

I don't believe the gardens open until 09:00 and I would allow an hour each way to/from the cruise port. With a Noon departure, all aboard will be 11:30, so you would only have a maximum of 90 mins at the gardens.

In that time, at best you can walk some of the paths. Not really sufficient time to stop and enjoy the gardens.

The other consideration, when sailing down the Pacific Ocean, if the vessel experiences heavy weather it may arrive late in Victoria. Having worked this coast for 30+ years, I have experienced a number of May storms. While late arrival is a fairly low probability, it should still be a factor in your decision making.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I don't believe the gardens open until 09:00 and I would allow an hour each way to/from the cruise port. With a Noon departure, all aboard will be 11:30, so you would only have a maximum of 90 mins at the gardens.

In that time, at best you can walk some of the paths. Not really sufficient time to stop and enjoy the gardens.

The other consideration, when sailing down the Pacific Ocean, if the vessel experiences heavy weather it may arrive late in Victoria. Having worked this coast for 30+ years, I have experienced a number of May storms. While late arrival is a fairly low probability, it should still be a factor in your decision making.

As this will be our 1st Alaskan cruise and stop in Victoria, we very much appreciate the info. you've provided.   Good to know and we will certainly take your experience/observations into consideration.  Thank You!

• Like 1

If this is your first Alaskan cruise, it likely won't be your only Alaskan cruise!  I speak from experience, having been there four times already (each one slightly different).  If Butchart Gardens doesn't work out this time, try a different itinerary/cruise line that allows more time in Victoria.  We had a couple of stops there that were full day stops allowing us time to rent a car, drive to Butchart Gardens, tour for hours with afternoon tea too (about five hours in total), and then do some touring about to see our old homes when we lived in Victoria before returning the car and getting back to the ship. 

I do hope you get there; the Gardens are stunning.