Waterfalls on your own - Amber Cove

douggw

I'm looking at the feasibility of doing the waterfalls on my own. 

"Private" tours run around $65 pp, so for four that would be $250

I looked at rental car prices which would be around $80 for the day and admission to the waterfalls are around $12 I think, so that would be $133.

Am I missing something here?  This seems like a tour that would be fairly easy to DIY.  Anyone who has done it on their own have any tips/ideas/thoughts?

Thank you!

Edited by douggw

• douggw changed the title to Waterfalls on your own - Amber Cove
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

We chose Iguana Mama and they were awesome. Check reviews for them on this board or anywhere. It was a while ago was awhile ago for us.

Just a note- they have photographers at the falls and will sell you a thumb drive of photos after, it was $35 cash when we went. It has been almost 2 years though so pricing may be different. Just a heads up because I don't remember if they took cards.

https://www.iguanamama.com/

Edited by gotscrapz

I want to add, I think if you add up the car rental and park costs and compare with Iguana Mama, I haven't looked that far into, might be better to go with some sort of company because it might be cheaper and less hassle. But that is just me - and I would never try to drive in the DR after being there a few times lol.

At the time the price made sense for us to with Iguana Mama. I know we did get a discount as well because someone in our cruise group set us up as a group. They provided transportation, falls entry, and lunch. I didn't eat the lunch - I am very picky but my daughter and most of the group did and liked it. I am in no way affiliated with them, just a happy customer. Also, at the time, on that cruise - the cruise line did not offer it - looks like they do now. Our small group - under 20 was nice. And a guide was always last following the slowest person to make sure no one was left behind. They provided bottled water (you need bottled water in the DR!!!) at various points during the hike up to the falls and made everyone drink it to prevent dehydration. 

I hope you find what works for you and enjoy the falls!

We actually did the falls with Iguana Mama and although they were fantastic (and they really were!!) we are a family of 4 and the price difference is significant to DIY. I've secured a car for $51 for the day plus and entrance fee plus the tip for guide is all minimal compared to paying for 4 on a tour. We have rented vehicles at MANY ports and it's one of our favorite things to do on a cruise. We like to be on our schedule and not have to wait on a group of people. 

So I'm seeking people that have DIY to hear their experience at the falls! 

• 2 weeks later...