Silver jewelry

lynninsc

Anyone know if there are any good places to buy silver jewelry in Costa Maya like there is in Cozumel? I was really looking forward to shoppng in Cozumel this year, but our itinerary got changed and now it is Costa Maya for us. That is actually ok, because I don't mine seeing somewhere new, but just wondering about the shopping. We were actually planning to spend the day in Majahaul if that makes a difference.

Lynn you have to be so careful with silver in Mexico, there are tons of reports of jewelry being sold as silver but having a fake stamp on it, the one that has .925 with a symbol or something that means it's real silver, it's now been found on junk.

Hi, I have an antique store in Alabama and will be going on my first cruise 4/15/06 to Costa Maya and Calica on the Carnival Holiday. I sell a lot of Sterling jewelry and what I have found(this may not be the case everytime) that the fake silver will actually be marked if you look closely 92.5 instead of

.925 I hope this helps but like I said it may not be the case everytime. Mark

Hey Mark thx for the info, nice to hear from a professional. Is there any way for the average person to tell if something is silver? ... or do we have to take you along on all our cruises? :-)

And is real silver jewelry solid silver or silver plated?

-Bob

Hi Bob, No there is no way for the average person to tell, so if you like I will give you my info and you can take me on every cruise you plan to make. HaHaHaHa... sorry couldnt resist. Now if it is solid silver it will say .925 or the word Sterling on it. Some silver (Still solid but not as heavy will say .800) If it is plated it will either say SilverPlate or it will simply not say anything. There are some exceptions to this rule in some countries but not Mexico that I know of. I would say all in all you are probably pretty safe buying from one of the shops but be careful. Always check the .925 against the fake 92.5 Mark

• 5 years later...

Lots of good information on buying silver...Thanks to all.

As to the OP's original ? on where to buy. There are a couple of ubitquous DI shops in the port complex. I hear that ther eis a Lapis shop in the multiplex in the town just outside the port gates (3 minute walk). Not sure about shops along the Mahahual malecon. I've seen local craftsmen with beaded type jewelry maybe some sterling silver or other silvery metals at tables along the malecon. I doubt this is what you're looking for.

Fort eh poseter going to Calica, thsi is the port for Playa del Carmen. Lots of shops there a short cab ride away. And Cancun is about 40 minutes north.

A sure fire way to test if silver is real...bring a small magnet. If the magnet sticks...JUNK! My sister happened to have her magnetic work name tag in her purse while we were shopping and we tested some pieces. The only ones that we found were junk were the ones the people were trying to sell off the street...you know the ones that don't have a little shop but stand off on the sidewalk with a little basket! Hope this helps!

Not sure about shops along the Mahahual malecon..

there were several selling silver when we were there in Jan 2010...mine had the silver stamp on it...it has held up well.....i didnt pay alot for it and was HAPPY with my purchases.

i wont pay alot for any jewelry when i travel cos i never can be sure of exactly what i am getting...if i want something that costs i buy at home or from places i know i can trust or return if i am not satisfied!!

On the good stuff there are often marks besides .925 such as the maker's mark. I have never had a problem with the silver bought in the stores in Costa Maya. The carts on the beach in Majuhal usually have loads of junk. Be careful because the cheap stuff is usually silver plate and it is easy to spot the difference. Also, check the main part of the piece, not just the clasp for the .925 stamp. Sometimes they put a sterling clasp on a cheap piece of plate. I have bought at the same store on the pier 3 times and it is very high quality silver. My jeweler saw a wide woven necklace and bracelet that I bought in Costa Maya and went nuts over it. He checked it and confirmed it was sterling. He was shocked at the low price I paid for so many grams of silver. However, that was after a long day of negotiating and walking out. I paid $100 for the bracelet which had a $400 tag on it and $300 for the necklace which had a price of $800 on it. Total gram weight for the 2 pieces was 157grams. Check out sterling in the stores where you live so you learn to tell the difference.

On the good stuff there are often marks besides .925 such as the maker's mark. I have never had a problem with the silver bought in the stores in Costa Maya. The carts on the beach in Majuhal usually have loads of junk. Be careful because the cheap stuff is usually silver plate and it is easy to spot the difference. Also, check the main part of the piece, not just the clasp for the .925 stamp. Sometimes they put a sterling clasp on a cheap piece of plate. I have bought at the same store on the pier 3 times and it is very high quality silver. My jeweler saw a wide woven necklace and bracelet that I bought in Costa Maya and went nuts over it. He checked it and confirmed it was sterling. He was shocked at the low price I paid for so many grams of silver. However, that was after a long day of negotiating and walking out. I paid $100 for the bracelet which had a $400 tag on it and $300 for the necklace which had a price of $800 on it. Total gram weight for the 2 pieces was 157grams. Check out sterling in the stores where you live so you learn to tell the difference.

Would you tell me the name of the store?

Archived