Question for NCL regulars: One person out of 4 not travelling. Do I need to notify NCL?

nattie

After all the upgrades purchased, my grandmother decided not to go with us after all 😬. Not a health issue thankfully, she just thinks flying will be too much for her. So now we have 2 bedroom suite in Haven for just the 3 of us. I am still a bit bitter over the price tag, since our friends paid less than half of what we did for the same cruise. 🙄

Anyway, with the way our cruise invoice is priced, her base fare was like $100 plus there were $300 in taxes/fees/drink package gratuities. I have also prepaid her ship gratuities. My question is, should I let NCL know before we sail that she is not coming? Would I get the $300 in taxes plus prepaid gratuities back that way? Or should I not even bother? I do have insurance for the cruise, but I don't think it has "I am not feeling it" clause.

Yes, you should let NCL know.  Depending upon your travel dates/final payment date, you may be entitled to get port fees/taxes back.  As far as insurance goes, if you purchased CFAR insurance you are covered most likely, if you purchased NCL's Booksafe, no coverage or if you have a credit card with base travel insurance, also no coverage.

Thanks, islesdave. We are leaving in 13 days, so way past any deadlines. I have insurance through our travel agent, may be it does cover some costs. I was mainly concerned with prepaid gratuities portion of it, dont want to waste time waiting on hold for NCL's customer service if the $ are gone.

We had to no-show on a cruise 2 years.  We expected nothing back.  We got everything except the cruise fare itself.  Port fees, pre paid gratuities, pre paid excursion and administration fees all were refunded within 1 week.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just had the 3rd person in our 2 BR suite cancel in Jan 2022. You will get back all except the actual cruise fare. Port taxes and fees and prepaid Daily Service Fee will all be refunded to the original form of payment. Call ASAP.  Passenger #4 then became passenger #3.

• Like 1

If you can't get the prepaid gratuities and port fees back and you're looking for someone to take her 4th place, I'll volunteer and pay you the prepaid gratuities and port fees...

- WYB

• Haha 2

If you have the insurance through NCL... if cancelling for a non covered reason, you still make the claim, get denied and then NCL gives you a portion of the cancellation fee back in future cruise credit.  You will get the taxes/fees and pre paid gratuity/tours, etc back when you cancel regardless of insurance coverage.  Future cruise credit is transferable if you go through a few hoops.

• Thanks 1