Azamara Onward Cabin 8800/8801/8802/8803

suttonrunner

Hello,  I have booked one of these cabins for my January 2023 cruise (I am having to change my cabin on a back to back and this was the only  Balcony plus cabin available).    Looking at the deck plan for Onward these cabins seem the same size as the Club Continent suites.  I did read  somewhere that these cabins had previously been used  as staff cabins unless I dreamt it!  The one I am booked in is under the gym.

Has anyone any inside information about these cabins as, as yet, the Onward has not  sailed.

Thank you. 

Many people might prefer not to be under the fitness center for concern with possible noise/thumps/bumps.  A bit of searching does imply that those cabins are indeed the larger size, possibly moved down a category for location reasons.  You might also try to see what they looked like in Pacific Princess days.

2 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Many people might prefer not to be under the fitness center for concern with possible noise/thumps/bumps.  A bit of searching does imply that those cabins are indeed the larger size, possibly moved down a category for location reasons.  You might also try to see what they looked like in Pacific Princess days.

I thought that too about the gym above but the other side of the ship (Portside) has two cabins there too which look like they `re  directly under the Club Spa suites.  I wondered whether it was because they were near the entrance to the Bridge.  I shall research pacific princess

1 hour ago, suttonrunner said:

I thought that too about the gym above but the other side of the ship (Portside) has two cabins there too which look like they `re  directly under the Club Spa suites.  I wondered whether it was because they were near the entrance to the Bridge.  I shall research pacific princess

The 88** cabins are being added in dry dock so looking at Pacific Princess won’t help, looking at the deck plans I’ve been wondering the same. We are on the maiden of Onward and will see if we can find out anything then, although hopefully Azamara will release a walkthrough once dry dock is complete.

• Like 2

We were on Quest in February and asked about booking one of these.  Matthew said that he had repeatedly asked for additional information about those cabins and had not been given any info at that point.  Said that he was unable to book those for people as they had not been given any guidance.  On the website the color of those cabins make them look like they are veranda cabins but they don't actually show up anyplace.  

10 minutes ago, crzrr said:

We were on Quest in February and asked about booking one of these.  Matthew said that he had repeatedly asked for additional information about those cabins and had not been given any info at that point.  Said that he was unable to book those for people as they had not been given any guidance.  On the website the color of those cabins make them look like they are veranda cabins but they don't actually show up anyplace.  

I am booked into one in January  it was sold as a Veranda plus and is on the Onward deck plan as such.  I have compared the deck plan 8  with Quest and there are two extra cabin on each side on the Onward  (a recent poster said that these extra cabins were being added in dry dock).  The mystery is why are these new cabins classed as Veranda Plus not Continent Suites?  These cabins are available to book on other Onward sailings now but on the January cruise they are all sold.  PS Like you, I was on the Quest in February  and loved it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

I am booked into one in January  it was sold as a Veranda plus and is on the Onward deck plan as such.  I have compared the deck plan 8  with Quest and there are two extra cabin on each side on the Onward  (a recent poster said that these extra cabins were being added in dry dock).  The mystery is why are these new cabins classed as Veranda Plus not Continent Suites?  These cabins are available to book on other Onward sailings now but on the January cruise they are all sold.  PS Like you, I was on the Quest in February  and loved it!

Not sure if this is any help at all but this is a picture from dry dock showing the cut out for the balcony of one of the 88** cabins in the top left corner. To me the cut out looks to be the same width as the balcony cabins on deck 7 below.

04BE2587-2E0F-417A-8320-D5B450109FEF.thumb.jpeg.c4394f4a23bb333e55027f348b6b0ad8.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Not sure if this is any help at all but this is a picture from dry dock showing the cut out for the balcony of one of the 88** cabins in the top left corner. To me the cut out looks to be the same width as the balcony cabins on deck 7 below.

04BE2587-2E0F-417A-8320-D5B450109FEF.thumb.jpeg.c4394f4a23bb333e55027f348b6b0ad8.jpeg

That seems to solve the puzzle then.   

1 hour ago, suttonrunner said:

Thanks for the info.  When we booked, while on board, Matthew was unable to get any info on those cabins.  We did book a P1 (aft cabin, deck 7) but none of those 8800's showed as being bookable.  I guess that AZ figured it all out!  The February cruise was great fun - one of the reasons that we booked the Onward for next January.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 2:40 PM, crzrr said:

Thanks for the info.  When we booked, while on board, Matthew was unable to get any info on those cabins.  We did book a P1 (aft cabin, deck 7) but none of those 8800's showed as being bookable.  I guess that AZ figured it all out!  The February cruise was great fun - one of the reasons that we booked the Onward for next January.

Decided to change my cabin to an aft P1. Looking at the balcony on the newly made suite it looks like it will be a little dark  with the solid sides.  The balcony is very important to me, I am More than happy  with my change now.  

7 hours ago, suttonrunner said:

Decided to change my cabin to an aft P1. Looking at the balcony on the newly made suite it looks like it will be a little dark  with the solid sides.  The balcony is very important to me, I am More than happy  with my change now.  

You are lucky they were still available!  Very desirable cabins.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

After staying in 8801 for two consecutive cruises I would dissuade people from booking if they want to sleep past 6:30 am. The gym above is not supposed to be open at that time and as a matter of fact the doors to the gym area do not get opened until past 730. Passengers still open the closed doors and go in and use the facilities. Opening time when we have asked has been from 7:00 am to 8:00 am depending on who you ask, but definitely not 6:30 am. Guest services do not want to do anything with it. So we have been up each morning to the thumping of the treadmill. My advice to those booking is to be heavy sleepers, or wear earplugs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were 8801 on onward for the Dec 12 to 23 cruise just a little over a month ago.    It's a Club continent suite with a tub.   We liked it and the location a good bit.  We could hear the rhythmic noise of the treadmill at  6:50/7am and usually around 4pm and the occasional thump of a weight, but it didn't bother us.        It's near the the officers crew quarters so you see them pass by a lot. 

35 minutes ago, PAtravelbug said:

We were 8801 on onward for the Dec 12 to 23 cruise just a little over a month ago.    It's a Club continent suite with a tub.   We liked it and the location a good bit.  We could hear the rhythmic noise of the treadmill at  6:50/7am and usually around 4pm and the occasional thump of a weight, but it didn't bother us.        It's near the the officers crew quarters so you see them pass by a lot. 

8801 is not a Club Continent Suite. It is a balcony plus.  No tub just a tiny shower. You must have been two cabins further aft. The cabin is right beside the door to the officers area/bridge on the starboard side. So if you were further back, it would make sense that the noise was less. I had been looking for info on these cabins when I booked and there was none, so I wanted to ensure that others had the info. Again, if you are a deep sleeper or wear earplugs it may not bother you. 

Edited by Wondermouse

Another quick note about 8801 in particular. The crew door is right beside the cabin door for 8801. The crew door opens with a push towards the cabin door. I was struck twice by a crew member opening the door. A friend of mine was struck and almost knocked down by the captain when he opened the door. Made a suggestion that they reverse the door so that the crew would have to pull it open to exit the area so no one gets hurt on the other side.  Will see what they do. I could see someone getting hurt fairly badly especially an older senior if they get hit hard by the door. 

10 hours ago, Wondermouse said:

8801 is not a Club Continent Suite. It is a balcony plus.  No tub just a tiny shower. You must have been two cabins further aft. The cabin is right beside the door to the officers area/bridge on the starboard side. So if you were further back, it would make sense that the noise was less. I had been looking for info on these cabins when I booked and there was none, so I wanted to ensure that others had the info. Again, if you are a deep sleeper or wear earplugs it may not bother you. 

Right. 8001 maybe.  Two doors away from the door to the officers and bridge area.  We were up most mornings by 7 aware of the noise but were never bothered by it.   We would stay there again. 

Edited by PAtravelbug

10 hours ago, Wondermouse said:

Another quick note about 8801 in particular. The crew door is right beside the cabin door for 8801. The crew door opens with a push towards the cabin door. I was struck twice by a crew member opening the door. A friend of mine was struck and almost knocked down by the captain when he opened the door. Made a suggestion that they reverse the door so that the crew would have to pull it open to exit the area so no one gets hurt on the other side.  Will see what they do. I could see someone getting hurt fairly badly especially an older senior if they get hit hard by the door. 

Obviously this was accidental, each person apologized profusely after it happened. It is just a not a good location for the doors and how they function independent of each other. 

Edited by Wondermouse