Help - Hubby Not Happy

sweet_successes

Hi

hubby has just read the review in the Courier Mail and is now mutterring that he doesn't want to go. His reasoning is I'm paying heaps of money for this I want it to be good with no issues eg toilets, smells etc as per review.

Can anyone who has been on the Pacific Star give him reassurance that this is the best thing for us? Please

Rach

From what I've read here,it seems all ships get these toilet smells from time to time.If passengers stop putting all sorts of garbage down them. They connect in sections and it can only take a cotton bud or similar to block that section.Then they have to open it up to investigate,producing the odour. We had it on Sun around the Pursers area a few times. Luckily didn't smell it in cabin.Take one of those bathroom smelly things in case.Up on decks ok,sometimes you get a whif of the kitchen :p

Tell hubby to read my review from the same cruise, I think mine was more positive. We enjoyed our cruise and the occasional odour was definitely not enough to spoil our holiday. I do not think that I have been on a cruise on any ship yet that all the toilets have behaved themselves all cruise, as said before it is the passengers fault mostly for using them as rubbish bins.

Tell hubby to go on the ship with a positive attitude and he will have a ball. Don't look for faults only for the good things, he will enjoy himself more that way. :)

If you missed Suey's report is back in January on return from the cruise that that man was on.

We enjoyed the same cruise and we know she is no spring chicken but we liked her.

As for his thoughts on the dock area all I can say hurry up and finnish the terminal.Yes he had a point althoigh we were quicker than him getting on board.

Yes we were late leaving but that happens on lots of cruises and this ship did get out of the river.

As for the piano bar that is a matter of taste and it appears that mine is in my bum as I liked the bar and have photo's to remember it.

The whole ship did not smell but yes the lower decks did,but I managed not have to result to a hankie,but I am a nurse and may-be I do not worry as much as some.

Yes every night we said how we missed the windows in the restaurant our main complaint was the lack of childrens own meals and may-be that is a good thing there was no windows or some of the naughty ones may have been swimming.

I agree the steak restaurant is wonderful and well worth the money and no kids Sorry I love them but we had some near use who would try any-one reserve.

Look to cut this short I loved my cruise had a simply wonderful time and most people I meet felt the same way.Tell hubby to go on board and judge for himself some people hate Disneyland..:) :D

Just finished telling a friend about the review in the Courier Mail.

One of her relations works for a travel agent.

She telephoned her for her opinion.

She said she personally would not advise any of her customers to choose this ship. She refused to go into all the negitive reports she had received about it.

I was the one who talked my sisters into this three day cruise. I will feel terrible if they don't enjoy it.

I will do an honest review after the three day cruise in March. It will be on my website.

I am an easy going and positive person...so it would have to be really bad before I would post in the negitive.

Marleneann.

I look forward to reading Marleneann's review & any others, as we too are on the Star in Sept. All holidays have hiccups (just like weddings!)..as long as the positives outweigh the negatives, all is well. I am pleased to read that the reviewer's daughter enjoyed herself! In our family, if the kids are happy, so are we!:D Who hates Disneyland?:eek: Must be exceptionally hard to please.

Hi

hubby has just read the review in the Courier Mail and is now mutterring that he doesn't want to go. His reasoning is I'm paying heaps of money for this I want it to be good with no issues eg toilets, smells etc as per review.

Can anyone who has been on the Pacific Star give him reassurance that this is the best thing for us? Please

Rach

I think there's a bunch of whingers on every cruise who'll find anything as a reason why the cruise was no good. Ours (606) 18th feb to 25th Feb, was fantastic, and there's nothing I can fault which is worth faulting. The bathroom didn't smell, the service was superb, the staff were very friendly and always helped you out immediately with what you wanted. The guy that wrote that article is an idiot and probably just got seasick or something. Everyone else I spoke to on the cruise enjoyed it immensely also, and the negative things people had to say were so trivial they're not even worth mentioning.

Just finished telling a friend about the review in the Courier Mail.

One of her relations works for a travel agent.

She telephoned her for her opinion.

She said she personally would not advise any of her customers to choose this ship. She refused to go into all the negitive reports she had received about it.

Marleneann.

I really find this very strange as I honestly did not have an overall problem with the ship and everyone I spoke to on the ship were positive about their experience as well. The only real negatives we heard were about 'no kids dining' and we spoke to lots of previous passengers and staff. I would have no hesitation in advising people to travel on this ship, in fact I am in the process of recruiting more people for our Easter cruise on the Star next year and hope to travel on her again before the end of the year also.:)

That is true, some people simply aren't happy with anything. I am researching an upcoming trip to Bangkok and read some reviews of the Shangri-La which is one of the top ten hotels in the world. There were still a few sourpusses blasting it. Being a former backpacker who is now an internet travel bargain hunter, I am not that difficult to please.

I think there's a bunch of whingers on every cruise who'll find anything as a reason why the cruise was no good.

I quite agree.I sometimes wonder if P&O go out of their way to make a few mistakes just to keep these people happy and give them something to moan about.

I think he went onboard with the wrong attitude, these ships are for the average person who goes onboard with an open mind and all they want to do is have a good time and I think that the majority of people do that.

Remember the Queen Mary 2, 5 star, the biggest and the best but it still had problems.

I think he went onboard with the wrong attitude, these ships are for the average person who goes onboard with an open mind and all they want to do is have a good time and I think that the majority of people do that.

Remember the Queen Mary 2, 5 star, the biggest and the best but it still had problems.

Well said!

Hi

Rach

Rach, I don't think your hubby has anything to worry about - any ship from the QM2 down will have these sorts of problems from time to time - as one of the other posters said - it only takes a cotton bud or some other inappropriate item to be flushed for the system to back up - it's not a fault of this ship in particular - but of the design of shipboard plumbing.

I've often said that a cruise would an even better experience if it wasn't for the other passengers - and this is especially true of passengers who ignore the basics such as what shouldn't be put down the toilet.

Finally back online. Add my praise to the list and don't stress. The ship was lovely. We were on the cruise after this. If people stopped flushing stuff beside's human waste and toilet paper there wouldn't be problems with the toilets. Only once was there a terrible smell on our cruise and that was on deck 6.

I would have to agree about the boarding procedures from the transit centre. We went from the airport as we dropped off a car hire there. We arrived at about 10am and there was a bus at 10.30. We were one the ship by midday which was good. Our friends started at the transit centre around the same time and didn't get on board till about 2.30pm, what a disgrace. The bus transfer from airport was pleasant and they didn't ask about flight details or anything.

I disliked the fact there was no kids dining but thankfully our daughter was well behaved. Unlike lots of other kids which roamed this ship day and night. One parent we spoke to said they had no idea where their child was he just turned up for bed and food.

I think your holiday is what you make of it. We could have sulked the whole trip about the no kids dining, tfact they didn't offer the $25 laundry service (except a special once) and it rained every day. We didn't and had a ball.

Can anyone use the airport transfer bus? If (God forbid) the new cruise ship terminal isn't open by then, it would be easier and cheaper to get to the airport from our suburb than the transit centre. Do they pick up anyone going to the ship at the airport or only those flying in?

Why is the transit centre so slow? Not enough buses? Only one bus which hs to go back and forth?

In my opinion anyone can use the airport transfer. Even though they say it is for P&O flight passengers. The transfer info we received said if we are on a non-P&O flight ring before and let them know. I rang and said my car hire was dropping off at the airport and they said fine and didn't need to record any info.

Our friend we met there flew in that day on a non-P&O flight and had no problem too.

We just turned up at the terminal after dropping off the car and there was a lady walking around with a P&O sign. She told us to just sit over there and the bus would be there in about 15 mins. No problems at all.

It was much easier than our other friends efforts with the transit centre.

Off the ship we were disembarkation dockets for the transit centre even after I had said we were picking up a car from the airport. The pursers changed it no probs. Once we disembarked and cleared customs there were 2 queues on for terminal and one for airport. So it didn't seem to matter what your disembarkation tag said you could join either queue no questions asked.

Thanks Everyone

hubby has read your comments and now seems happy to continue with our plans. I did mention to him that we are in a mini suite and all we need to do is open the balcony door for fresh air.

Pacific Star here I come!!!:D :D :D

Cheers Rach

Being in a mini suite will be fantastic - you'll have your own balcony and fresh sea air anytime....A lady came into my office today and she saw me looking at the P&O brochure and she just came back from a cruise on the Star and she had a ball...no problems...Enjoy your suite:)

Archived