Bergen to Oslo Train excursion. Why sold out? Is it such a great trip?

stormz

Thinking about doing this in the opposite direction before a cruise from Bergen.  That cruise includes Flam as a port.  I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile to do the full nutshell trip vs. seeing much of the same on an excursion in Flam?

16 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Thinking about doing this in the opposite direction before a cruise from Bergen.  That cruise includes Flam as a port.  I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile to do the full nutshell trip vs. seeing much of the same on an excursion in Flam?

Personally I think it would be worth it.  The train ride is spectacular and the ferry to Gundvagen goes to a different arm of the fjord. Even if the route was identical I’d still do it twice. Can’t begin to explain how beautiful it is. 

17 hours ago, ericosmith said:

After researching this, we are taking the train from Oslo to Bergen and when the ship stops in Flam we are taking a ferry to Gudvangen return.  This is just one article that we found.  This one is from Rick Steves:

From Flåm, Nutshellers catch the most scenic of fjord cruises. Sightseeing boats leave throughout the day. For 90 minutes, camera-clicking tourists scurry on the drool-stained deck like nervous roosters, scratching fitfully for a photo to catch the magic. Waterfalls turn the black-rock cliffs into a bridal fair. You can nearly reach out and touch the sheer, towering walls. The ride is one of those fine times, like being high on the tip of an Alp, when a warm camaraderie spontaneously combusts among the strangers who came together for the experience. The boat takes you up one narrow arm (Aurlandsfjord) and down the next (Nærøyfjord) to the nothing-to-stop-for town of Gudvangen

He also writes this:

Flåm is the departure point for the two-hour ferry ride on two breathtaking fjords to the village of Gudvangen. As you cruise through the world's narrowest fjord, you'll feel the mist falling from black cliffs high above, and — especially on a sunny day — the hillsides appear to be within arm's reach.

We'll be in Bergen for 3 days on our Scandinavian cruise (not until 2024); because we're going be there for 3 days, I'm wondering if this train journey might be a good idea. 

We'd have to book it round-trip though, which means 6 hours there and back (at least). What's the consensus--worth it?

10 minutes ago, longterm said:

We'll be in Bergen for 3 days on our Scandinavian cruise (not until 2024); because we're going be there for 3 days, I'm wondering if this train journey might be a good idea. 

We'd have to book it round-trip though, which means 6 hours there and back (at least). What's the consensus--worth it?

I’d suggest booking “Norway in a Nutshell”…you can book it from Bergen-Bergen, or Oslo-Oslo, or either direction Oslo-Bergen. Google it…a great way to spend the day, all on one ticket.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

I’d suggest booking “Norway in a Nutshell”…you can book it from Bergen-Bergen, or Oslo-Oslo, or either direction Oslo-Bergen. Google it…a great way to spend the day, all on one ticket.

Sounds like an excellent plan; Bergen-Bergen might be the ticket! Thanks so much.