Driving from Anchorage to Matanuska lake

Freckles1983

Was considering trying to rent a vehicle to take the drive from Anchorage up to Matanuska lake while we are there in June.  Is this a reasonable day trip to take or will it take too long to get there and back with traffic etc ?

also when I looked into rentals before I recall reading something about cars not doing well on unpaved roads and that you should splurge on a jeep / truck / other 4x4 if you’re going to be going anywhere off the main routes.  Would a trip up there take us off main roads?

tia for any helpful information or warnings 

I am not sure what Matanuska lake has to offer but it is on the way to several key visiting spots.  Matanuska glacier is another 1.5 hrs drive up the same road. The road to the  glacier face is a bumpy gravel road after you pay the private land owner fee to cross. The Hatcher Pass area  is a very scenic area. Palmer musk ox farm is fun and in Wasilla is the Iditarod headquarters. Lots to do in the area so make sure to search for things to do. The glacier is about 2 hr drive from ANC.