Canada quietly updated testing requirements

Was just on https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise?wbdisable=true this morning and noticed that rapid tests can now be taken 2 days before boarding the ship.

Getting tested before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection
  • Thanks 1

So, if I am sailing round trip from Seattle, but my ship docks in Victoria, even if I don’t plan to leave the ship I have to be tested (again)?  And where would I administer this test?  On the cruise ship?

It would be helpful if the cruise lines would make these protocols more transparent.

49 minutes ago, chefchick said:

So, if I am sailing round trip from Seattle, but my ship docks in Victoria, even if I don’t plan to leave the ship I have to be tested (again)?  And where would I administer this test?  On the cruise ship?

It would be helpful if the cruise lines would make these protocols more transparent.

I do believe that if testing is required to enter a port of call, the cruise line will cover the cost of the test. NCL for example states that if your cruise stops in Canada on day 4 or later, they will administer and cover the cost of the test.

1 hour ago, chefchick said:

30 minutes ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

I do believe that if testing is required to enter a port of call, the cruise line will cover the cost of the test. NCL for example states that if your cruise stops in Canada on day 4 or later, they will administer and cover the cost of the test.

It doesn't say you have to be tested again while on board. It just says you have to be tested before you board...which is consistent with current rules for US based cruises .

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It doesn't say you have to be tested again while on board. It just says you have to be tested before you board...which is consistent with current rules for US based cruises .

NCL does state you must be retested to visit Canada on day 4 or beyond.  Doesn't matter if the cruise originates in the US, Canada's requirements trump those of the US.

Canada Cruise Protocols

Canada Travel Requirements

Country Requirements

All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at time of arrival to Canadian port.

Vaccination Requirements:

• All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival.

Testing Requirements:

• Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.
  • Arrival into Canada: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to arrival to port, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival to port. Where the cruise visits Canadian port on day 4 or beyond, this test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Face Coverings:

Required ashore in business establishments based on local requirements.

24 minutes ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

NCL does state you must be retested to visit Canada on day 4 or beyond.  Doesn't matter if the cruise originates in the US, Canada's requirements trump those of the US.

Canada Cruise Protocols

Canada Travel Requirements

Country Requirements

All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at time of arrival to Canadian port.

Vaccination Requirements:

• All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival.

Testing Requirements:

• Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.
  • Arrival into Canada: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to arrival to port, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival to port. Where the cruise visits Canadian port on day 4 or beyond, this test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Face Coverings:

Required ashore in business establishments based on local requirements.

Yes, but if Canada has changed its rules to not require it, then you should expect NCL to amend its rules to eliminate that additional test.  Give them a day or two to change their website. 

Yeah, this is a confusing mess. I will be on RC and there is nothing mentioned about them paying for any testing. How, exactly, are we supposed to get this testing done in another country while on a cruise ship? How are we to complete the forms without internet access? UGH