Traveling with disabled adult child... what if he tests positive for covid on board, and I don't?

Levi is good

The title says it all, but in a more general sense:  If two people are staying in a cabin together, one disabled and one caregiver, and the disabled guest contracts covid during the cruise but the caregiver does not... does the caregiver get to stay and take care of the disabled guest in the quarantine cabin?  

If we are already sharing a cabin, would it just stay the same way, or would I be forced to leave, and he be forced to go it alone...?

His disability is autism, he's high-functioning, quite independent, and used to cruising; he does not need help too much generally when we are on trips.  However he would not at all be able to navigate or tolerate being quarantined alone in a room in such an unusual/difficult circumstance.  He'd need someone to help him with medications, symptom management, anxiety management, communication with ship staff, etc.

Cruise line we are on this summer is RCI, destination is Italy/Greece.

Thank you to anyone who has any thoughts or information on this, I would be grateful. 

Edited by Levi is good
  • Like 1

I would assume under those circumstances, you would be allowed to quarantine with him.  Perhaps you can search Royal's forum for people whose minor child tested positive and what happened.  I'd make sure to file forms with them stating that he requires a caregiver in advance.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

I would assume under those circumstances, you would be allowed to quarantine with him.  Perhaps you can search Royal's forum for people whose minor child tested positive and what happened.  I'd make sure to file forms with them stating that he requires a caregiver in advance.  

Thank you very much Maureencruiser.  I will look into doing that.  The thing is, he doesn't need a caregiver unless things go completely sideways and he gets put into quarantine, that's the challenge.  We've cruised enough that he feels very comfortable with how the ships work.  I, too, would assume I could be with him, but as he's a legal adult I'm scared about that 1% chance that things might not go according to what I'd assume.  😞  I will look into those forms.  Thank you so much for your input and ideas, it is very helpful!!!

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Take a look here:   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/autism-friendly-ships

Definitely notify Royal's Access Department:

Royal's Access Department (866) 592-7225

or send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com

Ok, I'm on it.  Thank you so much kokopelli-az!  🙂