Heraklion to Agios Nikolaos/Spinalonga

vjmatty

Has anyone ever taken a rental car from Heraklion to Agios Nikolaos?  I've rented cars on most Greek Islands but Crete always takes longer than it looks to get anywhere, and I am also wondering about how steep and winding the roads are.  Would it be reasonable time-wise in a 9 hour port visit?

We’ve driven this a couple of times. Heraklion is very congested,  the main highway is two lanes but they drive in the shoulder lane.   It’s very disconcerting when you drive in the normal lane and nearly have a head on because the expectation is you will drive on the shoulder.    This part of the island isn’t overly windy or steep, unlike some places.  I would allow an hour plus for the drive each way. 

That being said, if you understand this, it works.   You could also look at sharing a taxi or taking a bus.  Visiting Spinalonga is very interesting particularly if you read Hislop’s the Island about the leper colony during WW 2.  Aghios Nikolas is pretty but you will be also near to lovely Elounda with less parking issues.   The ancient Palace of Malia is also on this route and worth a visit.  Have lunch in Elounda or Plaka.   I’m assuming you’ve been to Knossos? 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

We've done it a couple of times, it's a great day trip. I drive everywhere so that part doesn't cause me any concern. I've driven the full length of Crete and really enjoyed it. There are parts inland that are narrow and winding but in the coastal areas where you get loads of tourists the roads have to be capable of accommodating coaches and the volume of tourists.

The island of Spinalonga is fascinating. We drove to Plaka as it's the closest village and shortest boat trip over to the island. 

In Agh Nik the area around the lake has many restaurants and is well worth going for a stroll

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 6:57 PM, bennybear said:

That being said, if you understand this, it works.   You could also look at sharing a taxi or taking a bus.  Visiting Spinalonga is very interesting particularly if you read Hislop’s the Island about the leper colony during WW 2.  Aghios Nikolas is pretty but you will be also near to lovely Elounda with less parking issues.   The ancient Palace of Malia is also on this route and worth a visit.  Have lunch in Elounda or Plaka.   I’m assuming you’ve been to Knossos? 

Thank you.... yes I have been to Knossos and have actually visited Heraklion more than once.  We usually rent cars in Greek ports instead of taking tours because I am a fluent speaker, but the last time we rented a car in Crete we went west toward Souda Bay and gave up because of how long it took as well as the roads being difficult.  There is a Princess excursion going to Spinalonga and Agios Nikolaos but I hate being tied to the tour schedule.  Thanks for the additional suggestions on the way!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 3:58 PM, JimmyTheSaint said:

We've done it a couple of times, it's a great day trip. I drive everywhere so that part doesn't cause me any concern. I've driven the full length of Crete and really enjoyed it. There are parts inland that are narrow and winding but in the coastal areas where you get loads of tourists the roads have to be capable of accommodating coaches and the volume of tourists.

The island of Spinalonga is fascinating. We drove to Plaka as it's the closest village and shortest boat trip over to the island. 

In Agh Nik the area around the lake has many restaurants and is well worth going for a stroll

I did notice Plaka having a ferry service to Spinalonga, it looks like that is a good place to get the ferry.  Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Thank you.... yes I have been to Knossos and have actually visited Heraklion more than once.  We usually rent cars in Greek ports instead of taking tours because I am a fluent speaker, but the last time we rented a car in Crete we went west toward Souda Bay and gave up because of how long it took as well as the roads being difficult.  There is a Princess excursion going to Spinalonga and Agios Nikolaos but I hate being tied to the tour schedule.  Thanks for the additional suggestions on the way!

You’re welcome! Have fun!  Crete is one of my favourite places!