Has anyone had experience cancelling due to Covid positive on NCL with NCL's Platinum insurance?

4 cruisers

We just cancelled on Tuesday (husband tested positive) for our April 23rd cruise.  I filled out forms and sent all info (hopefully) to the insurance company NCL uses.  Anyone have experience in this?  Can't rebook until we get refund or credit.  This waiting game is really frustrating!  NCL wants full payment for new bookings if they are within 120 days of sailing.  Wondering when I will expect the insurance to receive give us cruise credit or $?

1 hour ago, 4 cruisers said:

We just cancelled on Tuesday (husband tested positive) for our April 23rd cruise.  I filled out forms and sent all info (hopefully) to the insurance company NCL uses.  Anyone have experience in this?  Can't rebook until we get refund or credit.  This waiting game is really frustrating!  NCL wants full payment for new bookings if they are within 120 days of sailing.  Wondering when I will expect the insurance to receive give us cruise credit or $?

We're in a similar situation for our 4/26 cruise.  We have insurance through an outside vendor.  Waiting for my husbands PCR test results before we cancel anything.  From the NCL site, it looks like we can get FCC which is fine.  Hope we can put towards the other cruise we have booked or maybe try to get on a May sailing.  I will be recovered by the sailing but it's unknown if I will test negative but the hubs getting sick made the situation impossible.  Just checked on him, he's has a fever over 100.4, I just had a low grade fever for a short time and never took a fever reducer...

2 hours ago, 4 cruisers said:

Sorry to hear your husband got it, I’m pretty sure it’ll be your turn within the next couple of days or so … we, party of 4, went on the Joy last month and came home with unwanted souvenirs … two of us tested +ve 2 days after coming home and the other 2 didn’t test +ve until 2 days after. Thankfully we tested -ve on the day we flew home. 

It’s good that you took out NCL’s premium insurance! One of the forms is for your doctor to complete and sign - hopefully you did have it. 

I had this happen to us in July 2019 when I developed severe medical condition that was so bad that we made the decision to cancel our 14 day Ultimate Baltics cruise a week before the cruise. I would not be able to handle, enjoy and experience the cruise to the fullest. Called NCL to cancel, they refunded all taxes fees grats excursions etc and directed me to AON website. Printed out and filled forms and uploaded the whole lot including doctor’s form. About 3 weeks later I got email from AOL to say my claim was approved and I would be getting a check. The check came a week later. Very pleased. Yes, we booked with NCL’s Platinum insurance. 

Hope your husband recovers well … took us 11 days before we tested -ve and it was a long jail for us! We’re all fully vaxxed and boostered but it was the no mask mandate in FL and on ship ….

I was supposed to cruise on May 1st. I just tested positive for COVID, and decided to cancel because I’m not sure if I will feel better by then, or if I will still be testing positive. I do have travel insurance, but I didnt go that route. According to the NCL website, if you test positive within 14 days of your sail date, you can get a FCC. So I submitted my PCR test result, and I’m waiting for approval. I hope I can reschedule for June. This is my 5th cancelled cruise (4 by NCL and now this one by me) so I’m really hoping I can sail soon! 

I hope your husband feels better! I’m just started to feel slightly better after 5 days of symptoms. 

Edited by Trela1234
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trela1234 said:

I was supposed to cruise on May 1st. I just tested positive for COVID, and decided to cancel because I’m not sure if I will feel better by then, or if I will still be testing positive. I do have travel insurance, but I didnt go that route. According to the NCL website, if you test positive within 14 days of your sail date, you can get a FCC. So I submitted my PCR test result, and I’m waiting for approval. I hope I can reschedule for June. This is my 5th cancelled cruise (4 by NCL and now this one by me) so I’m really hoping I can sail soon! 

I hope your husband feels better! I’m just started to feel slightly better after 5 days of symptoms. 

Even though we had symptoms for 3 days, we felt fine and got back to normal after another 5 days, we still tested +ve for whole 11 days. 

Thank you for sharing!  I was feeling pretty alone on this😌.  Day 6 and my husband is close to normal…just a little run down.  I still test negative (this morning) and no symptoms!  I wonder if I had a mild case a couple of weeks ago…thought it was severe allergies…we live in the desert and the winds and cactus/blooming trees are full of irritants!  

11 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

Thank you for sharing!  I was feeling pretty alone on this😌.  Day 6 and my husband is close to normal…just a little run down.  I still test negative (this morning) and no symptoms!  I wonder if I had a mild case a couple of weeks ago…thought it was severe allergies…we live in the desert and the winds and cactus/blooming trees are full of irritants!  

Our pollen count is worse than normal this year.   In all honesty, I probably would not have thought anything about it after my negative test on Sunday if it weren't for being scheduled for a cruise next week. However, my husband symptoms are obvious - he had a fever of 102 last night.  It broke, he's feeling okay today.  I find it odd that was negative for so long as he's the one that goes to client sites, goes out to lunch and happy hours.  I work from home with limited outside contact.  Grrr...

23 hours ago, 4 cruisers said:

So, if you test positive with a doctors report that states so, you have to cancel through NCL for a FCC. 

The very first question you are asked when you file a claim online is whether you are cancelling for COVID. If so, they tell you that you can not claim since the cruise line is giving you a full refund in the form of FCC. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So, if you test positive with a doctors report that states so, you have to cancel through NCL for a FCC. 

The very first question you are asked when you file a claim online is whether you are cancelling for COVID. If so, they tell you that you can not claim since the cruise line is giving you a full refund in the form of FCC. 

apparently not anymore!  Covid rules just changed...at least for Pride of America.  I have to go through insurance and you have to fill out your own forms!  I now have a claim number with Aon insurance.  

31 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

apparently not anymore!  Covid rules just changed...at least for Pride of America.  I have to go through insurance and you have to fill out your own forms!  I now have a claim number with Aon insurance.  

Ok. I filed an insurance claim last night and that was the first question that the Aon insurance claim site asked. 

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Ok. I filed an insurance claim last night and that was the first question that the Aon insurance claim site asked. 

So did they deny your claim and refer you to NCL?  I am very confused.  NCL told me to claim with AON.  AON accepted my claim and gave me a claim number.  I then was told to download proof of Covid test results (and boy do I wish they were NOT positive!) with my claim number as reference.  I just want to get my darned credit so I can re-book and not lose our Hawaiian Air that will expire in December.  

I'm sorry to hear that you too had to cancel, Bird Travels!  😞

Keep me posted on how this unfolds.  It is so darned stressful and sad.  I had care arranged for my 93 year old dad for while we were gone!  I didn't have the heart to cancel the gal, so I am on a forced vacation with my "sick" hubby.  He really isn't that sick!  Just like a flu! So frustrated!  

On 4/22/2022 at 2:16 PM, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

We're in a similar situation for our 4/26 cruise.  We have insurance through an outside vendor.  Waiting for my husbands PCR test results before we cancel anything.  From the NCL site, it looks like we can get FCC which is fine.  Hope we can put towards the other cruise we have booked or maybe try to get on a May sailing.  I will be recovered by the sailing but it's unknown if I will test negative but the hubs getting sick made the situation impossible.  Just checked on him, he's has a fever over 100.4, I just had a low grade fever for a short time and never took a fever reducer...

So how are you guys doing!?  I hope you end up clear!!!!!  Our older son (31) thinks I had it and gave it to my husband (LOL!).  I still feel fine.  Husband is much better...just a bad taste from the Paxlovid (anti viral)that his doctor prescribed.  

Keep me posted on how this unfolds!!! I hope you get to go!!!