Washington Slagbaai National Park

lah66

I reached out to Bonaire Cruisers to rent a golf cart for the day in November. Sounds convenient, inexpensive and a great way to see the island and do some shore snorkeling. In the email they noted that this park was off limits with the golf carts. So now I really want to go there! 🤣 Has anybody gone there? A quick search turned up nothing! Maybe we are better off renting a car? I want to see the entire island! 

• 4 months later...

Inside the park it's nature related, and there's no way a golf cart would work. The park service has stipulations for vehicles to enter the park. Here's the National Park's web address:

https://stinapabonaire.org/washington-slagbaai/

Ignore the lack of the video on the site and continue scrolling down for the information you need.

If you do decide to visit, make sure that the rental car company gives you a vehicle that would be approved by the park system (and a spare tire).

There's a lot of things to see in Bonaire without going into the park. 

Have fun on your trip!

AC

I truthfully don't understand why people love the golf carts when a car is so much more efficient but that's me.  I always rent a car here.  Easier to get around and see more things thsn the same loop.  Regarding the park, truthfully, this is something if you do it, do when you are in port for 12 hours and first thing in the am.  We tried it in 2020 but unfortunately got there at noon and our ship was leaving at 4.  When we got to the entrance, we didn't want to pay just to only be there for an hour.  I believe there are boat trips that go there so I'd look for that.  

Thank you both for the info! If we do rent a vehicle it will be a car, not a golf cart. And the website referred to by CaliforniaAC clearly states only 4 wheel drive vehicles with an extra tire are allowed in the park, so we have nixed that idea! We have snorkeled with Woodwind before and find so much precious time is wasted just waiting around that we may just take a boat over to Klein Bonaire and enjoy the snorkel on our own! Thank you!!

15 hours ago, lah66 said:

Thank you both for the info! If we do rent a vehicle it will be a car, not a golf cart. And the website referred to by CaliforniaAC clearly states only 4 wheel drive vehicles with an extra tire are allowed in the park, so we have nixed that idea! We have snorkeled with Woodwind before and find so much precious time is wasted just waiting around that we may just take a boat over to Klein Bonaire and enjoy the snorkel on our own! Thank you!!

That's exactly what we are doing in February off the Equinox.  We get in at 7 and leave at 3.  Car rental place we use opens at 9.  It just isn't worth it under 5 hours to drive around so we are taking Caribe over to Klein bonaire to drift snorkel for the day.  Plus it's much cheaper then guided snorkeling and more fun. 

Edited by jean87510