Miami in Jan 2007

Cruiznmama

Will be flying to Miami next January for cruise. We will be arriving a day early and have 24 hours to explore Miami. I need advise on the best place to stay and things to do either before or after the cruise. Flight is not until 8 pm after the cruise. Any advise will be appreciated.

Oh BTW, I have already searched Tripadvisor and all I get are negatives, I want something positive on which to base my decisions.

Thanks in advance.

We have stayed at the Intercontinental Chopin Plaza. This is located in downtown Miami. It is right on Biscayne Bay. It is within walking distance to the Bayside Marketplace. Safe at night. There is a nice waterfront promenade. Bayside Marketplace contains shops, restaurants, entertainment, excursions. It's a nice place to go if you go down one or two days earlier. The Intercontinental has a nice pool area. There is no beach so if you are interested in that you should look into MIami Beach, South Beach, etc. Also, make sure you get the Intercontinental at Chopin Plaza, not the one at the airport. I know there are many hotels to choose from. Just look at how long you'll be there, price, location, and activities. The one nice thing about this hotel is if you request a room on the port side you will see your ship on the morning of your cruise JUST WAITING FOR YOU.

Tommy's Mommy, I will be cruising in Feb.2007 and we have been "hotel shopping" but the Intercontinetal we haven't seen. Is it ON Biscayne Bay?? I also have been digusted with all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, it doesn't seem like many people really liked their lodgings.

Tommy's Mommy, I will be cruising in Feb.2007 and we have been "hotel shopping" but the Intercontinetal we haven't seen. Is it ON Biscayne Bay?? I also have been digusted with all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, it doesn't seem like many people really liked their lodgings.

If you have 24 hours, stay in South Beach and skip Bayside. Much more pleasant and so many more things to do.

What are your dates? The Superbowl and the Miami Marathon are both in January and will drive prices through the roof!

Try the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key. Negatives? I don't think so.

I agree . . . . we are cruising on Freedom of the Seas in October and will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental. While I have cruised out of miami before and stayed and the Sheraton Biscayne Bay which was nice but was torn down a year ago, one thing I have learned about the MIA FLL area is that you get what you pay for most of times. Stayed in Miami for my honeymoon a fews years ago and had the hotel from hell :eek: . $100 a night don't get you much much in Miami, so unless you can get a discounted price from like priceline, hotwire, or the cruiseline, etc . . . I'd stick with the 4 or 5 star hotels to ensure a good stay. And the Mandarin Oriental is 5 star and a hot celeb spot so you'll your monies worth.

Hey Honeychild...I see you're going to be on the Valor with us next January. Cool! I've got a roll call started, here's the link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5677252#post5677252

Please join us!

I just booked the Wyndham Grand Bay today. It's at Coconut Grove, so it's a little further away but looks pretty nice at a reasonable price. I have read and studied on so many hotels down there it isn't funny! And it's definitely true that places are booking up and the rates are climbing. This reservation is cancelable if we find something better. I am seeing alot of rates that are not however, so that's something to keep in mind.

check out casa grande suite hotel on sobe. go to southbeachcasagrande, according to tripadvisor they are privately owned condos, you can either go through the hotel, or private owner, when you can locate one. i found their website for a 1-bdrm condo, they even have the chairs and umbrellas on the beach for your use. great rates, on 7th or 8th & ocean blvd. good reviews on trip advisor. their condo was booked so i reserved a suite through miamibeach411, paid more, but sounds like a great place to stay. i think they want $110 off season, $160 in season.

We stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami ... Since we get in at about 4 or 5 pm the day before, this is the best place for us ... great location for watching the ships leave Saturday afternoon and for watching the ships arrive in the early morning hours before actually boarding .. with shopping and eating available just across the street it is handy ... while it is not 5 star it is clean and comfortable ...

Candy

Archived