14 Night cruise (Back to Back) question

pappahbuttz

I am looking at my third MSC cruise in YC, and it is a 14 night cruise, which is essentially a Back to Back (B2B) cruise. I have the same cabin for both, and I was wondering if you can stay aboard the ship on the turn around day or if you have to disembark, and get re covid tested and check back in again? Thanks in advance!

We were back to back on the Seashore out of Miami a few weeks ago.  On the Thursday of the first week we were tested for the turnaround.  On turnaround day, we had to leave the ship, clear customs and then return to the ship.

2 hours ago, pappahbuttz said:

Great, thanks Rhea98. I just did not want to have to go through all the testing, check in etc twice.

When I asked about the MSC required test, I was told that, at the moment, none of our stops (Norway, Kiel, and Copenhagen) require a test. If that should change, the ship would handle it.

In the US MSC has a different approach to cruising than in Europe. In the US the cruises have a fixed starting and end port, while in Europe they don't. In Europe it is more a continuous service. Meaning that in Europe in almost every port some passengers disembark and new embark. This makes sense in Europe, because for example a Spanish person would not want to travel to Genua to embark, for a cruise that calls also in Barcelona. Therefore in Europe a back to back is most often a continuous cruise (although Genua is somewhat of a focus port, with a sailawayparty and a goodbye show the day before). In the US you're probably be required to leave and board again between cruises, even if sold as one 14-day cruise.

As for testing, some governments (like the Italian) require all passengers 6+ who are not vaccinated to be tested before entering from a non-EU country. Since all passengers 12+ must be vaccinated to board anyway, this only applies for 6-12 year olds. The testing is done in the ships medical centre, is free, and rapid.

2 hours ago, sealynx said:

In the US MSC has a different approach to cruising than in Europe. In the US the cruises have a fixed starting and end port, while in Europe they don't. In Europe it is more a continuous service. Meaning that in Europe in almost every port some passengers disembark and new embark. This makes sense in Europe, because for example a Spanish person would not want to travel to Genua to embark, for a cruise that calls also in Barcelona. Therefore in Europe a back to back is most often a continuous cruise (although Genua is somewhat of a focus port, with a sailawayparty and a goodbye show the day before). In the US you're probably be required to leave and board again between cruises, even if sold as one 14-day cruise.

As for testing, some governments (like the Italian) require all passengers 6+ who are not vaccinated to be tested before entering from a non-EU country. Since all passengers 12+ must be vaccinated to board anyway, this only applies for 6-12 year olds. The testing is done in the ships medical centre, is free, and rapid.

To clarify, in the US, it is the government, and not the cruise line that determines the policy.  Any ship registered in a country outside the US (almost every cruise line!) must employ a closed loop system, beginning and ending in the same home port (with limited exceptions for a repositioning sailing).  As such, passenger count must zero out at the end of each "cruise."  This requires that you clear customs and immigration, so you must leave the ship, if only for an hour or so.  Again, not MSC's choice.  It's imposed on all US- based cruises.  And yes, it doesn't matter if you have a 14-day cruise or a true B2B.  You will have to get off the ship between sailings.

Edited by JAGR

18 hours ago, bigblue1952 said:

We were back to back on the Seashore out of Miami a few weeks ago.  On the Thursday of the first week we were tested for the turnaround.  On turnaround day, we had to leave the ship, clear customs and then return to the ship.

That exactly.

Thanks for the info. Im looking at MSC Seashore out of Miami. I called MSC with another question, and asked again and was told that during "zero hour" all pax must be off the ship, but we remain in a different area and do not have to go through all the check in and covid testing, and I do not have to take my possesions from the cabin. Just wish they had that on their website...