Question for Jancruz1

luvtravel

Hi Jan - from reading the different posts, I can see you know Barcelona very well. I mentioned in another post that we're taking the 5/21 Insignia out of Barcelona - but we won't be purchasing their transfer package because we're getting in a day early. Wondered if you could tell me how long the taxi trip is from the Hotel Colon to the cruise ship port -- and which port Oceania sails out of (I understand there are 2 ports). Also in the last port - Lisbon - we need to get off the ship really early to catch an 8:30am flt home - so probably have to disembark at least by 6am (just guessing). The Oceania rep was a little vague about whether we could get help from the purser or concierge to get a taxi since we're not taking their transfer package. I understand the port may be within walking distance of Customs Plaza(?)...but hate to chance walking there and not finding any taxi that can get us to airport on time. Think we should get off a day early (as you know its in Lisbon o/n) and get a hotel?? - don't really want to do that! Thanks for any help you can give. I know you are on the later version of this cruise. I'll try to post my experiences in May! Thanks.

We are on the same cruise as you. We are flying into Barcelona two days early and also staying at the Hotel Colon. We will take a taxi there. We have a 7am flight out of Lisbon. I think we will purchase the Oceania transfer to the Lisbon airport. Although I am sure it is cheaper to take a taxi, I don't want to worry about it at 4 in the morning.

Benita, have they told you that if you buy the transfer part they'll make sure you can get to the airport on time? The rep we talked to wouldn't say for sure. Wonder how they would transport just a few of us early birds at a time...unless there are lots going early and I guess they'd bus us. Please report back on what your T.A. or Oceania rep says about your early flight situation and I'll also call again and see what info I get. Then let's post it. Thanks.

Hi Jan - from reading the different posts, I can see you know Barcelona very well. I mentioned in another post that we're taking the 5/21 Insignia out of Barcelona - but we won't be purchasing their transfer package because we're getting in a day early. Wondered if you could tell me how long the taxi trip is from the Hotel Colon to the cruise ship port -- and which port Oceania sails out of (I understand there are 2 ports). Also in the last port - Lisbon - we need to get off the ship really early to catch an 8:30am flt home - so probably have to disembark at least by 6am (just guessing). The Oceania rep was a little vague about whether we could get help from the purser or concierge to get a taxi since we're not taking their transfer package. I understand the port may be within walking distance of Customs Plaza(?)...but hate to chance walking there and not finding any taxi that can get us to airport on time. Think we should get off a day early (as you know its in Lisbon o/n) and get a hotel?? - don't really want to do that! Thanks for any help you can give. I know you are on the later version of this cruise. I'll try to post my experiences in May! Thanks.

Sorry, I was out of town for a few days with no computer..(what a horror..LOL)

The taxi drive from the Colon is not more than 15 to 20 minutes..very easy to get there..

First of all if you purchase a transfer from Oceania..I am not sure what rep you talked to but they will absolutely get you to the airport on time..Stu and I had a 7:00am flight from Lisbon last time and left the ship at 4:00am with an Oceania transfer..it is not a problem..You can also ask the concierge to have a cab waiting for you at the gangway anytime you feel you want it in the morning..just be sure to ask him several days before you disembark..There is a great artist on Las Ramblas named Elena (cant remember her last name) she paints acrylic in sort of a 3-D about halfway on Las Ramblas walking from the Colon to the water would be on the right side..she is wonderful and very reasonable..we have sent many people to buy her paintings..you will love Barcelona..

Jan

Luvtravel - When I booked the cruise with Oceania (and I had them do the air deviation), the representative from Oceania suggested I take the taxi on my own in Barcelona. He suggested I take the Oceania transfer in Lisbon as it was so early in the morning and he did not know the availability of taxis then. As the ship arrives in Lisbon the day before debarkation, he said Oceania will be bringing people to the airport at all hours.

Thanks both Jan and Benita for your responses.....I feel much more confident now that we'll make our flight - ie we're not the only ones out there with this situation! Benita, did the Oceania rep mean that you only had to purchase the Lisbon transfer only...ie at a reduced rate or you still purchased the full transfer package, then just use the Lisbon part? If not, that would be one expensive transfer - about $200US (for two) one-way! It does make so much sense that there would be taxis available, but I'd sure hate to find out otherwise on that departure morning! Funny, isn't it, that its these little details that can be so hard to pin down!! Would be great if we'd hear from someone who actually did take a taxi very early. Jan - like you I miss my computer when I can't get to it and if those virtual computers ever do become reality....travelling & computing will be soooo easy!

I just checked my invoice. I purchased the transfer from the ship to the Lisbon airport. It was $42 a person - $84 for the two of us. I am sure a taxi would be cheaper, but am not willing to risk the anxiety of worrying about finding one at 4am. I think you can buy the transfer while on board the ship, but am not sure about that - you can call Oceania and check.

Archived