Important Error in Viking Communication Eff. April 1, 2022

CTLeeA

49 minutes ago, sundaycreek said:

Actually you can be tested on May 31st (after 3:31 for 72 hours, after 00:01 for 3 days).

You have fallen into the same trap I had, that is believing what Viking wrote instead of what they intended to mean.

My convo with Viking went something like this:

Me: so since my first flight is at 3:30 on June 3, I can be tested on May 31 after 3:30 pm, right?

V: No.  Your flight was not booked with Viking air so 'first flight' is not applicable.  

Me: the update I just received from Viking says nothing about 'first flight' IF booked thru VA.

V: you're correct..(speaks with a superv.) we will send out something to clarify that.

Me: if I have to wait until the afternoon of June 1 to be tested (72 hours) and results don't come until the afternoon of June3, I'll be in the air.  Then if I land in Milwaukee and find one of us tested positive, even tho our home test indicated negative taken the day before, I'm looking at a 10 day  Quarantine in Milwaukee before I can return home.  Let me speak with your superv.

Convo with Superv. revealed that their 72 limit, at least in the case of domestic flights regardless of if you booked with Viking Air, reallllly means 3 days and I can be tested after midnight on June 1.  Now I have that in writing.  I'm taking a Celebrity cruise later in the year and they did a super job of clarifying their policy and expectations...Viking should learn from that.

The CDC has updated its recommendations, stating that vaccinated travelers flying domestically do not need to get tested prior to travel. It's suggested that unvaccinated travelers flying within the U.S. should get tested one to three days prior to travel.

Don't think you have to worry about Milwaukee or was it from Canada?

Well, the CDC statement is only a recommendation but Viking's policy prevails since they've elected to use the more stringent of the two.  Canada does require testing one day before we leave.

We are scheduled to Board Viking Venus in Bergen on June 3.  Originally we were going to fly from Newark to Bergen via Frankfurt on June 2, arrive June 3 and Board the ship.  But we were able to get a nonstop flight from Newark to Bergen on June 1, so we switched our flight (not with Viking) and booked a hotel in Bergen overnight on June 2.  I have had several conversations with a very reliable Viking rep (i.e., I deal with her often and if I have a question, she will often seek confirmation regarding her answer before our conversation ends).  She advised me to be certain to get our PCR COVID tests not earlier than the afternoon of May 31 to ensure we had our tests within 72 hours of boarding the ship.  I had previously made appointments to get our tests at 9:30 a.m. on May 31.  When I asked her if that was going to be too early, at first she said she thought that it would; but then I reminded her of the 6-hour time difference between EDT and Bergen.  In effect, even if we Board the ship at 2 p.m. Bergen time on June 3 (and we plan to Board right at 11 a.m. when check-in begins), at 2 p.m Bergen time it would be 8 a.m. EDT, which means the 9:30 a.m. appointment on May 31 would still fall within the actual 72-hour timeframe.  She then checked with a supervisor and confirmed this.  Of course our flight arrangements do not required an intermediate stop in the US before connecting to an international flight.  Also, the place where we are getting tested provided results of full PCR tests within a few hours, so we should know by later on May 31 if we tested positive -- before we leave for our 3-hour drive to Newark airport.

Having taken several Viking ocean cruises and over 50 cruises since 1995 -- but none since March 2020 -- and both of us being in our mid-70s with at least one of us immunocompromised, we do recognize the risk of cruising at this time.  We also recognize the likelihood of being tested daily while on the ship and the requirement of isolation for 10 days if we test positive.  And we recognize that the daily tests aboard the ship, while unique to Viking and providing a two-way safety net for both the cruise line and passengers, also elevates the chances of any passenger testing positive during a multi-week cruise.  Had this not been our 50th anniversary, I think we may well have at least considered opting for some other type of travel which did not require continuous testing virtually throughout our trip.  But this is a special one, with a bucket-list itinerary that includes a private 4-day tour of western Ireland after the cruise, so we plan to go, wear masks at the airport, during the flight and in busy indoor locations to the extent that is possible, and hope for the best.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, David said:

... we do recognize the risk of cruising at this time.  

Nice to see such a clear-headed analysis of the risks and rewards of cruising at this time. All the best for a safe and spectacular trip! 🍺🥌

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, CTLeeA said:

Well, the CDC statement is only a recommendation but Viking's policy prevails since they've elected to use the more stringent of the two.  Canada does require testing one day before we leave.

Testing is not required if fully vaccinated:

"Pre-entry testing (accepted types, timing)
Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

For travellers boarding a cruise ship, visit the Cruise ship travel page for requirements specific to cruise ships.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.

Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status."

Canada's definition of fully vaccinated:

"To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:
have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine
have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses
have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
have ArriveCAN receipt with letter A, I, or V beside your name by uploading proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN"

You can find these rules for fully vaccinated passengers here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

The rules for passengers not full vaccinated can be found here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Viking's air requirements supersede these requirements if you are immediately going to board the ship or are participating an a Viking pre-cruise event.

If you are going independently, then the Viking requirements apply to boarding, not entry to Canada

Edited by 1985rz1

11 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

"Pre-entry testing (accepted types, timing)
Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

For travellers boarding a cruise ship, visit the Cruise ship travel page for requirements specific to cruise ships.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.

Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status."

Canada's definition of fully vaccinated:

"To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:
have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine
have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses
have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
have ArriveCAN receipt with letter A, I, or V beside your name by uploading proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN"

You can find these rules for fully vaccinated passengers here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

The rules for passengers not full vaccinated can be found here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Viking's air requirements supersede these requirements if you are immediately going to board the ship or are participating an a Viking pre-cruise event.

If you are going independently, then the Viking requirements apply to boarding, not entry to Canada

I should have been more clear.  We will need to be tested one day before we leave Canada.  Viking will provide that test onboard.  Interestingly,  Viking does not specify what is a Viking pre-cruise event.  On our cruise next week, we check in at the airport, not the pier.  Since we are arriving one day early independently, we need to go back to the airport on embarkation day and find a Viking rep who will take our luggage to be trucked to the pier.  At that point, I'm operating with the belief that we have begun a Viking pre-cruise activity. 

1 hour ago, CTLeeA said:

I should have been more clear.  We will need to be tested one day before we leave Canada.  Viking will provide that test onboard.  Interestingly,  Viking does not specify what is a Viking pre-cruise event.  On our cruise next week, we check in at the airport, not the pier.  Since we are arriving one day early independently, we need to go back to the airport on embarkation day and find a Viking rep who will take our luggage to be trucked to the pier.  At that point, I'm operating with the belief that we have begun a Viking pre-cruise activity. 

Thanks for the clarification.  We're on the October Canadian Discovery cruise in October, but arriving 3 days early.  So for us, no test needed for our flight to Canada, but we will have to scramble to find a pharmacy or testing center in Toronto for boarding.

5 hours ago, David said:

We are scheduled to Board Viking Venus in Bergen on June 3.  Originally we were going to fly from Newark to Bergen via Frankfurt on June 2, arrive June 3 and Board the ship.  But we were able to get a nonstop flight from Newark to Bergen on June 1, so we switched our flight (not with Viking) and booked a hotel in Bergen overnight on June 2.  I have had several conversations with a very reliable Viking rep (i.e., I deal with her often and if I have a question, she will often seek confirmation regarding her answer before our conversation ends).  She advised me to be certain to get our PCR COVID tests not earlier than the afternoon of May 31 to ensure we had our tests within 72 hours of boarding the ship.  I had previously made appointments to get our tests at 9:30 a.m. on May 31.  When I asked her if that was going to be too early, at first she said she thought that it would; but then I reminded her of the 6-hour time difference between EDT and Bergen.  In effect, even if we Board the ship at 2 p.m. Bergen time on June 3 (and we plan to Board right at 11 a.m. when check-in begins), at 2 p.m Bergen time it would be 8 a.m. EDT, which means the 9:30 a.m. appointment on May 31 would still fall within the actual 72-hour timeframe.  She then checked with a supervisor and confirmed this.  Of course our flight arrangements do not required an intermediate stop in the US before connecting to an international flight.  Also, the place where we are getting tested provided results of full PCR tests within a few hours, so we should know by later on May 31 if we tested positive -- before we leave for our 3-hour drive to Newark airport.

Having taken several Viking ocean cruises and over 50 cruises since 1995 -- but none since March 2020 -- and both of us being in our mid-70s with at least one of us immunocompromised, we do recognize the risk of cruising at this time.  We also recognize the likelihood of being tested daily while on the ship and the requirement of isolation for 10 days if we test positive.  And we recognize that the daily tests aboard the ship, while unique to Viking and providing a two-way safety net for both the cruise line and passengers, also elevates the chances of any passenger testing positive during a multi-week cruise.  Had this not been our 50th anniversary, I think we may well have at least considered opting for some other type of travel which did not require continuous testing virtually throughout our trip.  But this is a special one, with a bucket-list itinerary that includes a private 4-day tour of western Ireland after the cruise, so we plan to go, wear masks at the airport, during the flight and in busy indoor locations to the extent that is possible, and hope for the best.

The rep actually is giving very good advice.  I do see many posts however that show very inconsistent following of the guidelines once you get to the ship.  Better safe than sorry but it is super annoying to be so meticulous with the testing and timing only to show up and possibly not even have your results looked at!  i don't look forward to trying to find a testing site in Spain, paying for said test and all the rest of it.  But... I really want to travel so I will do what I need to.

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'm not sure it's applicable to this discussion, but just in case, or for someone else ...

On COVID-19: Cruise ship travel – Travel.gc.ca you will find the specific requirements for cruise ships. It's a bit obtuse at times, but one key phrase: All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise.

While every cruise line I know is requiring pre-boarding tests on their own, this is also a Canadian government requirement at present when embarking in Canada. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thanks for the clarification.  We're on the October Canadian Discovery cruise in October, but arriving 3 days early.  So for us, no test needed for our flight to Canada, but we will have to scramble to find a pharmacy or testing center in Toronto for boarding.

Not sure where you'll be in Toronto, but a pharmacy chain called Shopper's Drug Mart has rapid tests available at nearly every store, and the stores are everywhere - $40 CAD. We've used them quite successfully.

Hopefully this web site will let you navigate to a location near where you'll be ... you can do a 'test drive' and pretend to book an appointment for practice.

https://shoppersdrugmart.medmeapp.com/schedule/groups/Covid-19-Rapid-Screening

Perhaps by October they won't even be needed! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1