San Juan Covid testing

JUST TRIPPIN'

Hoping things change in the future, but assuming things stay as they are now...As a Canadian traveller, do we have to take a covid test to fly to San Juan?  Secondly, we fly out Thursday for our Saturday cruise.  Do we then have to test again for the cruise?  I believe we have to test 2 days prior which would be Thursday at the soonest.  Does anyone know where or how to do this in SJ?  

No test is required for a flight into Puerto Rico.

You could check on the Puerto Rico board regarding where to be tested: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/80-san-juan-pr/

Alternatively, depending on the time of your flight, you could be tested on Thursday in Canada before leaving. Probably your best choice if you have the time.

A further option would be to take one of the many available proctored test kits and test yourself once in San Juan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JUST TRIPPIN' said:

Hoping things change in the future, but assuming things stay as they are now...As a Canadian traveller, do we have to take a covid test to fly to San Juan?  Secondly, we fly out Thursday for our Saturday cruise.  Do we then have to test again for the cruise?  I believe we have to test 2 days prior which would be Thursday at the soonest.  Does anyone know where or how to do this in SJ?  

Puerto Rico is a US destination. As per CDC guidelines, flying from outside the US requires a negative COVID test taken no more than 1 day prior to the flight. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you are flying from a US airport no test is required.

Based on your outline, a test taken locally on Thursday could be used for the Friday flight and Saturday boarding. This presumes your cruise line allows tests up to two days prior to boarding.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the correction. There is a thread on the Puerto Rico destination board that says that says that there isn't a requirement, and I incorrectly assumed that this was just another anomaly in the status of Puerto Rico, whose residents can't vote in presidential elections and lack voting representation in Congress. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies.  We leave Toronto Thursday morning around 9am.  I really have not researched this proctoring yet.  Rather than take two tests, one here and one in SJ, the only alternative would be to do it while still at the YYZ airport pre flight hotel.  Do these companies work 24 hours?  Hoping these tests go away but I'm not betting on it.  Btw, we are looking at March of '23 and are both fully vaccinated + booster.

Edit...we sail Celebrity on a Saturday and they currently require 2 days prior testing max.

Edited by JUST TRIPPIN'

YYZ does do testing in the early am. You have to book a time. If you took your test at the airport on Thursday morning, you would be able to use it for your cruise on Sat. Then you can relax and enjoy your precruise time in San Juan! 

https://switchhealth.ca/en/travel/book/pearson/antigen?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyaH_u_bz9wIVBq_ICh2RgQDKEAAYASABEgJ5q_D_BwE

I just saw your earlier post that stated you had to test 1 day prior to departure.  Would getting a covid test at the airport still qualify on the day of?  I apologize for what may seem like silly questions, but getting advice from actual travellers is better than most sites available.  Thank you for that link.  I have some researching to do and that's a great place to start.

25 minutes ago, JUST TRIPPIN' said:

I just saw your earlier post that stated you had to test 1 day prior to departure.  Would getting a covid test at the airport still qualify on the day of?  I apologize for what may seem like silly questions, but getting advice from actual travellers is better than most sites available.  Thank you for that link.  I have some researching to do and that's a great place to start.

No apologies! It can be confusing for sure. You would be just fine to take the test the day of, the "one day prior to departure " is the maximum time you are allowed. it would just add some extra stress to your already early morning. It will just be an earlier morning for you. Technically, you could take a test Thursday morning at 12:01 am and it would be valid as a one day test up to 11:59 pm on Friday.

That is what we plan to do for our Aug. cruise out of Port Liberty, New York - to take a proctored test the early morning of the day we leave, at home.

You can purchased at home proctored tests from SWITCH HEALTH. They were delivered to our home about three days after we ordered them. 

https://www.switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/

These would be the ones you want.

1738408483_ScreenShot2022-05-22at6_15_01PM.thumb.png.965ef1416d9b3fa7ff5dc2b053d34491.png