questions for people who just finished the land portion of your cruise/tour from Fairbanks.

compozer

Yesterday,  Princess finally updated the itinerary telling us we will be staying at the Riverside Lodge in Fairbanks.  Figured that was where we would be but I was waiting for it in writing.   We are doing the Riverboat cruise the morning after we arrive.   It says it is 8:00 to 1:00.   Then we have a 3 hour coach ride to Denali Wilderness Lodge.  Next, it says we have the afternoon at our leisure!!     ON the bus!!!???

What time does the bus leave?  As soon as we get off the riverboat ?   Check out time is 11:00 - so I assume we must take our hand carried tote on the riverboat - and some bags go toward the ship and others to the Denali lodge.   Our flight arrives at 8:30 pm but I know others come in much later.   When do they plan to fill us in????

I am a planner and want to know things up front.    We have friends that live in Fairbanks and want us over for a BBQ - don't think that will happen but we would like to see them for a few minutes.    Will there be any time when we get off the riverboat?

Can anyone fill me in our your experience.    Last time we did this, we left from Anchorage so this is completely different.

I really appreciate any replies.    Thanks

14 hours ago, compozer said:

Our flight arrives at 8:30 pm but I know others come in much later.   When do they plan to fill us in????

If I remember correctly, either when you arrive at the airport or at the lodge you will be given a packet with the schedule you want.

Not as soon as you would like to have it.

• Like 1

If I read your post correctly your plane arrives 8:30pm on day 1 and you are transferred to the hotel for a one night stay. On day 2 you have the riverboat trip. The bus will be at the riverboat pier to pick you up after the trip and will transfer you to Danali arriving around 4/5pm. Once checked in you are free for the evening. In summer it stays light until after midnight, plenty of daylight to be on your own. Unless I'm reading the timing incorrectly the only window I see in your schedule to meet your friends is after you arrive at the Fairbanks hotel on day one, late evening. Specifics for handling your luggage will be detailed in your arrival instructions.  

Thanks so much skynight for taking the time to reply.   Yes, you have it correct.  That is what I figured would happen.   We have been trying to do this for three years and I screwed up not going in a day earlier.  We always go two days early for cruising and earlier if there are a lot of sea days right away.  As with everyone these days,  the airlines have been playing games so things could still change.

I wish the land portion itinerary was available for us now.

thanks again.

9 minutes ago, dickinson said:

I'm thinking your hand carried tote will be loaded in the storage area under the bus .  Enjoy your cruise!

They say to keep your hand carried item with you - your meds and important papers will be in there.  Not sure if I want it under the bus.  But again, the riverboat is not like the train or the bus with room under your seat.

I know they have done this millions of times and it all works out but I like everything spelled out before I leave home.

@compozerI understand.  When we did a cruise tour we did not leave Fairbanks til the next day so we did not have the same experience you will.  If it is just a small amount of medication and valuables... will they fit in a tote bag that you can carry with you?  

Last time, the bag I kept on the train and bus was larger than what they say you should have now.   Half the seats on the train and bus were empty so it was no problem.   I will be able to get it in a small bag.  Again, not that big of a deal but why can't they send it to us now through email - not like it will cost them postage.