Covid Testing to Return to United States

On our Air Canada return flight Barcelona to Montreal (3.5 hour layover) to USA, at what point do I test? I am assuming I would test in Barcelona.  I am assuming since my final destination is US, Air Canada will want negative test upon boarding in Spain.   Canada does not require negative test to enter country.  I would ideally like to test in Canada instead of Spain, but not sure if that's possible. 

Only Air Canada can tell you. 

Since you have two different flights, they need only ask you for the test before the second flight, but since both flights are on one ticket, they might ask for it in Spain.

Interesting question, though.  Please post here when you find out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

On our Air Canada return flight Barcelona to Montreal (3.5 hour layover) to USA, at what point do I test? I am assuming I would test in Barcelona.  I am assuming since my final destination is US, Air Canada will want negative test upon boarding in Spain.   Canada does not require negative test to enter country.  I would ideally like to test in Canada instead of Spain, but not sure if that's possible. 

The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travelers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday).

So, you have to take the rest in Spain; cannot do it on a connection in Canada.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travelers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday).

So, you have to take the rest in Spain; cannot do it on a connection in Canada.

Thanks for this.  It makes sense.  We will test in Spain. We are disembarking in Spain and going straight to the airport.  We will schedule a test in the airport that morning.  Debarking at 0700.  Flight departs at 1315. Hope we can do it in this time frame with results.  I'm wondering if proctored test is more practical.

1 hour ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Thanks for this.  It makes sense.  We will test in Spain. We are disembarking in Spain and going straight to the airport.  We will schedule a test in the airport that morning.  Debarking at 0700.  Flight departs at 1315. Hope we can do it in this time frame with results.  I'm wondering if proctored test is more practical.

I've no experience with this but I'd be tempted to take a couple of US approved test kits along and try the proctored test the night before arriving in Spain (presumably Barcelona?).  You can get the tests done at BCN but I think I'd rather know my status before disembarking and ending up at the airport.  With luck, the US authorities will do away with the pre-arrival testing, at least for their own citizens, before you go.  Here is some info on a 30€ Antigen test service at BCN:

https://flycovidtestcenter.com/barcelona-t1/

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:30 PM, LoriLoriLori said:

Thank you.  I am hoping they do away with it.

I agree, eliminating the testing requirements will remove expenses, hassles, and anxiety for everyone trying to travel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, d9704011 said:

I've no experience with this but I'd be tempted to take a couple of US approved test kits along and try the proctored test the night before arriving in Spain (presumably Barcelona?).  You can get the tests done at BCN but I think I'd rather know my status before disembarking and ending up at the airport.  With luck, the US authorities will do away with the pre-arrival testing, at least for their own citizens, before you go.  Here is some info on a 30€ Antigen test service at BCN:

https://flycovidtestcenter.com/barcelona-t1/

If you want to have an idea of your status why not take a couple of those free govt tests that you can get from the USPS. They are not proctored so you can do them anytime.  It might give you peace of mind.