Please Review Itinerary & Provide Suggestions

taylortime05

5 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

No, I don’t think we’ll want dinner after the tour.  Maybe a drink or gelato to end the night.  

I was considering moving the Trastevere food tour to start a little later to give us more time before dinner to keep exploring.  My main reason for picking 4:15 - 8:15 PM is because I’m not familiar with the area.  I just checked and they have 5:15, 5:45, 6:00, 6:30 & 7:15 available.  I could pick a later time and then if we feel uncomfortable walking back to our hotel we could take a taxi.  Do you think that’s a good idea? 

I would move it a bit later if only to give you time to do the Castel Sant'angelo before; I also feel that starting at, say 5:45 or 6:00 will give you more of a lively experience as people will be ending work, having a drink or dinner while you're doing your rounds. 

There's nothing really unsafe about walking from Trastevere, but after a long day you may feel like taking a taxi anyway and it would probably be well worth it. There are several convenient taxi stands around the central part of Trastevere, I'm sure your guide could point you in the right direction.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Another possibility is to walk to the old Jewish ghetto and look around a bit before eating dinner in one of the traditional restaurants there. It's been said that these restaurants serve the closest thing to ancient Roman recipes, and the Jewish version of the famous carciofi (artichokes) are famous for good reason -- they are DELICIOUS (although you are a bit out of season).  Ba' Ghetto is one I like for the Jewish (fried) artichokes. More spendy traditional places include Piperno and Giggetto.  A new one to me, La Reginella, was featured on the Stanley Tucci series and looks great -- I plan to try it on my next visit.

I think La Reginella may be shut down.  I googled it and it said it was permanently closed.  There are a few Ba’Ghetto.  Do you prefer any particular one?  

I got a confirmation from Armando Al Pantheon.  It said if I wanted to request out door seating I needed to send an email with my confirmation #.  I do love eating at the cafe’s  outside but I wonder if we’d enjoy the air conditioning inside if it’s really hot.  

38 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I think La Reginella may be shut down.  I googled it and it said it was permanently closed.  There are a few Ba’Ghetto.  Do you prefer any particular one?  

The original one is on the via Portico d'Ottavia, which is in the ghetto. There are two restaurants on this street, with slightly different menus because they follow kosher rules about what can/cannot be eaten together. I usually go to the one that's not " Ba'Ghetto Milky" but both of them have the artichokes on the menu. If you want the fried version (my favorite) be sure to get the Jewish style. The Roman style are marinated, not fried.

Before or after eating, be sure to walk by and look at the Roman ruins that give the street its name -- it is the ruins of the Portico of Octavia, built by the first emperor, Augustus, to honor his sister Octavia. Originally it would have been a pleasant garden setting with covered walkways, works of art and sculpture all open to the public. 

Sad to hear about La Reginella.  Likely another victim of COVID....

11 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I got a confirmation from Armando Al Pantheon.  It said if I wanted to request out door seating I needed to send an email with my confirmation #.  I do love eating at the cafe’s  outside but I wonder if we’d enjoy the air conditioning inside if it’s really hot.  

The outdoor eating area at Armando was only added during COVID to cope with the restrictions on dining indoors (since the restaurant itself is so small, it was difficult to distance people....).  So that being said, I'm not sure any of us have had a chance to try the outdoor dining area yet. 

Indoors, the tables are close -- almost every time I've dined there, I've ended up in conversation with other diners. Sort of like the tables for two on cruise ships. 😉  The interior is fairly humble -- it's not a glitzy place, it is all about the food. Pay close attention to the specials of the day as they are usually wonderful. 

• Like 1

I’m having a hard time finding a restaurant for dinner on Day 3.  I think it’s because it’s Sunday.  Either they are not open or they only have lunch times available.   Do you have any other recommendations I could check for availability?   I’ll also look at the info pinned for this group.  Thank you!

55 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I’m having a hard time finding a restaurant for dinner on Day 3.  I think it’s because it’s Sunday.  Either they are not open or they only have lunch times available.   Do you have any other recommendations I could check for availability?   I’ll also look at the info pinned for this group.  Thank you!

Try Ristorante Maccheroni. They're just a few blocks north of the Pantheon. Fun, casual atmosphere and open seven days. You can see the menu and book a table on their website. They have fewer locals than they once did but you'll still find a mix. I love their chicken cacciatore, the sauce is deliciously tangy and different from most others. Saltimbocca a close second. 

Macaroni - Roman Cuisine (ristorantemaccheroni.com)

2 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Try Salumeria Roscioli, 10 minutes walk from the Albergo and half a block from Fatamorgana (one of the recipients of the Gambero Rosso awards for gelato in 2022) for gelato afterwards, if you have room!

Don't miss the church of San Luigi dei Francesi, between the Albergo and the Piazza Navona.  It has three amazing Caravaggio paintings.

Edited by marazul

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A great suggestion but I don't think they're open on Sunday for dinner.  I could be wrong...

It is open 7 days for lunch and dinner.  It is getting close in time for the OP and they may need the help of the concierge at the Albergo to get a table.

9 minutes ago, marazul said:

It is open 7 days for lunch and dinner.  It is getting close in time for the OP and they may need the help of the concierge at the Albergo to get a table.

You're right; I went to the source and checked. OP, Roscioli is a great experience for foodies, focus on dishes that feature their wonderful "salumi" (meats) and "formaggi" (cheeses).

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Try Salumeria Roscioli, 10 minutes walk from the Albergo and half a block from Fatamorgana (one of the recipients of the Gambero Rosso awards for gelato in 2022) for gelato afterwards, if you have room!

Don't miss the church of San Luigi dei Francesi, between the Albergo and the Piazza Navona.  It has three amazing Caravaggio paintings.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I added San Luigi dei Francesi to my list.  I checked Salumeria Roscioli.   It’s open on Sunday, June 26 but only at 2:45 PM.  I needed a later time slot because our bike tour goes until 3:00 PM.  I’ll keep checking though. I will also send an email to concierge at the Albergo.  

Edited by taylortime05
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you for the suggestions.  I added San Luigi dei Francesi to my list.  I checked Salumeria Roscioli.   It’s open on Sunday, June 26 but only at 2:45 PM.  I needed a later time slot because our bike tour goes until 3:00 PM.  I’ll keep checking though. I will also send an email to concierge at the Albergo.  

They open daily from 12:30 to 4 and from 7 to midnight.  Unless your tour ends at the restaurant's door, you may not have time for lunch.  2:45 is probably the latest they will seat you. Have the concierge try to get you a table for dinner.  

Go to the Antica Salumeria across the street from your hotel and have a porchetta sandwich for lunch.  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Try Ristorante Maccheroni. They're just a few blocks north of the Pantheon. Fun, casual atmosphere and open seven days. You can see the menu and book a table on their website. They have fewer locals than they once did but you'll still find a mix. I love their chicken cacciatore, the sauce is deliciously tangy and different from most others. Saltimbocca a close second. 

Macaroni - Roman Cuisine (ristorantemaccheroni.com)

Hi Cruisemom42, I got confirmation from Ristorante Maccheroni for Sunday at 7:00 PM.  Thank you!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I just thought of this:  when you come back, please add your food adventures to our sticky up top of this forum so others will be able to see your reviews.  

Yes, I will definitely do that.  This group has been so helpful. 

@cruisemom42, I have appreciated all your tips so much.  Once I’m done with all the revisions I’ll post the new itinerary.  When I get back I’ll give a review on the restaurants and tours.   I wish I could have one more day in Rome.  I called to see if I could change my air flight with no charge but it’s not possible.  

When you get time will you be able to give feedback on day 4?  

Thank you so much!

Sue 

40 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

@cruisemom42, I have appreciated all your tips so much.  Once I’m done with all the revisions I’ll post the new itinerary.  When I get back I’ll give a review on the restaurants and tours.   I wish I could have one more day in Rome.  I called to see if I could change my air flight with no charge but it’s not possible.  

Thank you so much!

Sue 

With all of the back-and-forth, and the lost post on the first day, I forgot that I hadn't done that. I will get to it later today. Right now having a bit of a crisis trying to help DS's friend who's on a cruise and lands in Livorno tomorrow, figure out how to get to Florence and what to do there. Nothing like not planning ahead!  😣

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you so much!

Sue 

Before I get back to it, just a reminder that your last day is a Monday so some museums won't be open. Otherwise I'd suggest the Borghese Gallery...

Is there anything on the list you've not managed to fit in so far?  Have you set aside time to do the sites near the hotel?  (I know I mentioned them a few places to fill some gaps....)

@cruisemom42, I’ve been trying to book the Colosseum tour with LivItaly for 9:15 am because it’s a small group of 6.  I’ve been monitoring every day and they release the 9:15 time slot a day at a time.  So yesterday they had openings for Thurs and I needed Fri.  Well today they didn’t release any for Fri but did for Sat.  I pinged to ask why and they said they had to use all their 9:15 tickets on Fri for their private tours.

Do you see any disadvantage to moving the Vatican tour to Friday our 1st day and booking the Colosseum tour on Saturday our 2nd day?   I may need to ask the hotel to change our reservation at La Taverna Fort Imperial to the next day if this was near the Colosseum.

4 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Do you see any disadvantage to moving the Vatican tour to Friday our 1st day and booking the Colosseum tour on Saturday our 2nd day?   I may need to ask the hotel to change our reservation at La Taverna Fort Imperial to the next day if this was near the Colosseum.

Which Vatican tour are you talking about?  The Sistine one or St. Peters?

I don't think the swap of the days matters in the scheme of things, but just remember my "golden rule" of doing things in close proximity -- for example, I suggested Castel Sant'angelo because of its proximity to the Vatican so if you swap, where does that fit in?  (It is open on Mondays, just as a suggestion....)

And yes, the Taverna Fori Imperiali is near the Colosseum/ancient Rome and NOT near the Vatican, so you'd have to swap that as well.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Which Vatican tour are you talking about?  The Sistine one or St. Peters?

I don't think the swap of the days matters in the scheme of things, but just remember my "golden rule" of doing things in close proximity -- for example, I suggested Castel Sant'angelo because of its proximity to the Vatican so if you swap, where does that fit in?  (It is open on Mondays, just as a suggestion....)

And yes, the Taverna Fori Imperiali is near the Colosseum/ancient Rome and NOT near the Vatican, so you'd have to swap that as well.

I'm talking about moving the Walks tour - Pristine Sistine Early Entrance Small Group Vatican tour to Friday.  Then I would also visit Castel Sant’angelo on Friday and try to modify reservation for Taverna Fort Imperiali.   This is all so I can book the small group Colosseum underground tour with LivItaly on Sat.   I do get nervous to start moving too much around because I’ve put so much work into this plan with your help!

I also noticed on LivItaly site that they include St. Peter’s tour with their Vatican tour but they are full.  This would have been helpful to free up Monday morning for something else. 

This is my revised plan so far.   I tried to incorporate all the great suggestions. Please let me know if I missed anything.  For Monday (day 4), this was my original plan so I’m open to cancelling the afternoon food tour and the restaurant reservation.   I would have loved to take a golf cart tour (day or evening)  but I don’t think it really fits in the plan.  Also, if I take it on day 3 or 4 I may have already seen most of what the tour would cover.    

Do you have any dining recommendations for the 1st night we arrive on Thurs, June 23rd?

Do you think I should plan anything for  the morning of Tues, June 28th.  I’m not sure what our check-in time is for the ship.  

Thank you for helping me so much on my plan.  

image.thumb.png.f818ea1da8172b6668a89294e0d1c775.png

This is kind of like Tetris. 😄

Before I forget to mention it, on your Saturday I would suggest just picking up a taxi to get from your "ancient Rome sector" to Trastevere for your food tour. There are usually a few taxis in front of the Colosseo metro station. The metro doesn't really serve Trastevere. You could take a bus but in the interests of time I'd say just get a taxi.

Are you interested in the Borghese Gallery? (reservations are required.)  You have quite a bit of ancient Rome and you're doing the Vatican well.  If you are, I would suggest re-jiggering your days a bit as follows:

See if reservations are available for Friday afternoon (allow yourself time for lunch at Pizzarium and to get over to the Galleria (again I would suggest picking up a taxi -- you can find a stand at the foot of St Peter's square).

If they are open (and you want to see it) then move the Castel Sant'angelo visit to Monday following your St Peter's tour. After that I would probably cancel the food tour and instead, if you are having dinner at Roma Sparita, I'd head over to Trastevere and do a self-guided walking tour as it looks like your foodie tour will not cover a lot of the sites. Frommer's has a good one that I've used:

Walking Tour 4 in Rome | Frommer's (frommers.com)

The other "block" that afternoon is near your hotel so you could still potentially do it on that day where you have it now (or if time gets short you can move it elsewhere as it can be done pretty much any time, even on the morning before you go to the ship).

That should pretty much fill your time, I think?

Dinner on the first night -- I like to eat somewhere scenic the first night, so that I know with all my senses that I'm in Rome. You will probably be tired and so I'd suggest just sitting down at one of the restaurants ringing the piazza in front of the Pantheon. Di Rienzo isn't too much of a tourist trap, with decent food. 

Or if you feel like stretching your legs a little bit, you can try something like this place, which is sort of like a cocktail/wine bar but with good food -- not too formal. Located on pleasant Piazza Capranica, just north of your hotel.

Collegio (collegioroma.com)