Port or Starboard Cabin on cruise from Barcelona to Trieste?

bfgood2

Is there any advantage to being on the port or starboard side in a Verandah cabin when embarking in Barcelona then to 2  France ports, ports around Italy, then Corfu, Kotor & Dubrovnik to Trieste or am I overthinking this?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Cruise begins in late May. Thanks.

You are sort of overthinking it -- without really effectively thinking about it at all .

If you are not in a balcony cabin, there is very little reason to be concerned.  If you are in a balcony, on a largely eastbound itinerary, a starboard balcony is likely to get a bit more sun than a port one . -- except, of course on your last few days as you head up the Adriatic --- when the sun will hit a  starboard balcony i the morning and a port one in the afternoon:  what time of day would you prefer more sun on your balcony?

Are you booking a balcony cabin?  Do you prefer a sunny or a shady balcony?  I hope you are not talking about the view -- because on a ship you will rarely be close enough to land to be able to see much of anything ----  other than a gray-green lump on the horizon

1 hour ago, bfgood2 said:

Is there any advantage to being on the port or starboard side in a Verandah cabin when embarking in Barcelona then to 2  France ports, ports around Italy, then Corfu, Kotor & Dubrovnik to Trieste or am I overthinking this?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Cruise begins in late May. Thanks.

I bring up a map of the cruise itinerary and look at the little arrows to determine which side of the ship I'll see the most from my balcony.  I book, then hope for an aft-facing cabin to come available.

59 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I bring up a map of the cruise itinerary and look at the little arrows to determine which side of the ship I'll see the most from my balcony.  I book, then hope for an aft-facing cabin to come available.

You very rarely see anything from the ship - other than a blurry land mass on the horizon, if that (except, of course, when you are entering or leaving a   port).

16 hours ago, bfgood2 said:

Think you probably are. Some ports get a better a view port side other the other. Then sometimes the ships spin round and reverse in.

the one thing I would recommend is that you get up very early on the day you enter Kotor. Its wonderful.

If not, then make sure you have a late meal, and view it on the way out.

We really could care less about the side we are on...in terms of ports, seeing the shore, etc.  What matters to us is where the sun will be when we might want to use our balcony.  So, for example, if we want to enjoy breakfast on our veranda we prefer that the sun not be in our face.  And if we want to gaze out at the sunset from our cabin/balcony it is helpful to have a westward facing cabin.  

You can not normally predict which side a ship will dock at any port.  This is often governed by weather/wind conditions, which specific docking position is assigned, and sometimes by something as simple as wanting a certain side of the ship "dockside" so that it can be easily painted/touched up or cleaned.

Hank