COVID Testing for Aussies and Kiwis on Transpacific (Or any US Port)

Have emailed RCI, but thought i would ask here as well!

Just wondering if anyone has any info about COVID testing for non USA residents? On our upcoming Transpacific cruise i have looked at the information on the RCI Website and see it recommends an E-Med test (see link) and has links to be able to buy them and we can even order this to be delivered to our hotel before the cruise, only problem is that we cannot purchase it without a credit card that’s issued with a USA billing address? Imagine there are going to be a lot of Australian and New Zealanders on these cruises needing to be tested and even the last resort option of limited pre booked US$100pp testing at the port before check in time is only available at some ports and Honolulu is not listed?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/where-can-i-purchase-an-emed-kit

Edited by Hammer61

36 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Have emailed RCI, but thought i would ask here as well!

Just wondering if anyone has any info about COVID testing for non USA residents? On our upcoming Transpacific cruise i have looked at the information on the RCI Website and see it recommends an E-Med test (see link) and has links to be able to buy them and we can even order this to be delivered to our hotel before the cruise, only problem is that we cannot purchase it without a credit card that’s issued with a USA billing address? Imagine there are going to be a lot of Australian and New Zealanders on these cruises needing to be tested and even the last resort option of limited pre booked US$100pp testing at the port before check in time is only available at some ports and Honolulu is not listed?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/where-can-i-purchase-an-emed-kit

You have a tricky one here.

Have you looked into getting a test here ?

It used to be you could get a test in Sydney and it was valid for 2 calendar days.

So travelling to Hawaii it would be valid for 2 days after arriving in Hawaii and you could use it to board.

Thats how it used to work with Royal Caribbean but it’s probably changed.

40 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It used to be you could get a test in Sydney and it was valid for 2 calendar days.

So travelling to Hawaii it would be valid for 2 days after arriving in Hawaii and you could use it to board.

OOH, that may be cutting it fine as well, even if acceptable? You wouldn’t want to leave the test until the last minutes its required by the airlines that fly to the US and pretty sure they don’t currently accept the rapid at home test for the USA, then even arriving on the morning of the cruise it may work, but not sure I would want the stress of possible delayed or cancelled flights, always arrive at least 1 full day beforehand, on this trip its actually going to be 2.

Was reading that Airlines are pushing for the testing to be eased as its harming business, this article below from yesterday. Hopefully by October restrictions may have been eased or a self administered rapid test is ok, that’s all we need for our P&O Cruise on Tuesday, expect there are going to be a lot of people in the same position though as so many Aussies get these Transpacific crossings.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/airlines-step-up-push-get-us-drop-international-covid-19-testing-rule-2022-06-03/

21 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

OOH, that may be cutting it fine as well, even if acceptable? You wouldn’t want to leave the test until the last minutes its required by the airlines that fly to the US and pretty sure they don’t currently accept the rapid at home test for the USA, then even arriving on the morning of the cruise it may work, but not sure I would want the stress of possible delayed or cancelled flights, always arrive at least 1 full day beforehand, on this trip its actually going to be 2.

Was reading that Airlines are pushing for the testing to be eased as its harming business, this article below from yesterday. Hopefully by October restrictions may have been eased or a self administered rapid test is ok, that’s all we need for our P&O Cruise on Tuesday, expect there are going to be a lot of people in the same position though as so many Aussies get these Transpacific crossings.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/airlines-step-up-push-get-us-drop-international-covid-19-testing-rule-2022-06-03/

To much stress for me at the moment, I’ll wait till things calm down.

It will probably have changed by the time of your cruise and I doubt you will get a straight answer out of Royal Caribbean .

I doubt they will change anything specific for these cruises. Whatever protocols are in place at the time for US departures will apply to Hawaii as well, a US port. 

The only thing that would be different is what testing is required for each of the ports you are calling at, and also for arrival in Australia.

Currently you need that supervised test to board, but that will depend on whether the US relaxes their rules between now and then.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Currently you need that supervised test to board, but that will depend on whether the US relaxes their rules between now and then.

I just hope like the majority of the world the USA relax the laws pretty soon, right now we are looking at having to get tests the day before we leave Sydney for the Airline and it has to be supervised and the drive through NSW health locations are not accepted ??? So you need to find a test provider, cost from what I can gather on the Qantas site are $75-$150 each, then when we arrive in Honolulu find another test location and the day before the cruise pay at least another US$100 each.

Never even thought about this stuff when I booked, if I had known would have maybe held back and waited or booked something closer to home, oh well too late now! More the inconvenience, worry and stress of it all than the money to be honest, although not sure how they justify such steep prices for testing, suppose with no other choice your at their mercy, but someone’s getting rich……………….

29 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

I just hope like the majority of the world the USA relax the laws pretty soon, right now we are looking at having to get tests the day before we leave Sydney for the Airline and it has to be supervised and the drive through NSW health locations are not accepted ??? So you need to find a test provider, cost from what I can gather on the Qantas site are $75-$150 each, then when we arrive in Honolulu find another test location and the day before the cruise pay at least another US$100 each.

Never even thought about this stuff when I booked, if I had known would have maybe held back and waited or booked something closer to home, oh well too late now! More the inconvenience, worry and stress of it all than the money to be honest, although not sure how they justify such steep prices for testing, suppose with no other choice your at their mercy, but someone’s getting rich……………….

Have you considered getting tested at the Aussie airport before you fly? I'm in NZ but had to research getting a covid test at Brisbane Airport to return to NZ. Histopath do both types of tests and have a facility at various Aussie airports. I found them by googling "covid testing at ??? airport". For us it seems Princess offer post cruise testing for international traveller's so we can do that instead. Good luck 🤞

25 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Have you considered getting tested at the Aussie airport before you fly?

The problem with that is the test for the USA is required the day before! Here is the FAQ from the US Embassy, also just on a side note for anyone who does use histopath for pre travel testing to other countrys, it requires you to arrive at least 4 hours before departure.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

EDIT, It does look however that both Chemist Warehouse ($30) and Terry white chemist ($45) do the Accepted Rapid Antigen tests the day before for a lot less and more convenient. 

Edited by Hammer61

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Lots of chemists are doing supervised RATs now, and are heaps cheaper than the airport ones. Some of the drive through pathology sites do them, but via a pre-paid appointment. That separates them from the free government testing that doesn't provide a travel certificate.

On the flip side, the timing might just allow for one taken in Sydney airport to cover for both the flight and the ship. I am curious (and have no idea) if the time zone difference is counted in the 48 hours on your certificate, as it would be handy landing in Hawaii at a time that was earlier than your test time if the cruise requirement is just based on two calendar days.

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

How many nights are you staying before your cruise?

It use to be that Royal Caribbean wanted a test that was no more than 2 calendar days old.

So your US flight left about midday on the 10th.

You could get a test in Sydney in the morning before your flight.

You would arrive in Hawaii or LA on the 10th and the test was valid for 2 calendar days, that’s until midnight on the 12th and that same test was valid to board the ship.

Things may have changed and I believe they will probably change by October.

Edited by Chiliburn

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It use to be that Royal Caribbean wanted a test that was no more than 2 calendar days old.

So your US flight left about midday on the 10th.

You could get a test in Sydney in the morning before your flight.

You would arrive in Hawaii or LA on the 10th and the test was valid for 2 calendar days, that’s until midnight on the 12th and that same test was valid to board the ship.

Things may have changed and I believe they will probably change by October.

Yes we leave on the 10th from Sydney Australia arrive in Honolulu on the 10th  we board on the 13th. We will have to get another test prior to boarding as it sits at the moment?

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

How many nights are you staying before your cruise?

We have 2 nights in Honolulu but with the time difference fly out on 7th October, Cruise departs on the 9th so need to test on the 6th for the flight, but can maybe test on the 7th as that requirement of the day before by the airline could also include up until departure?? 

So our Australian test certificate will be dated the 7th which fits in with RCI requirement of 2 days prior to cruise to get tested BUT it doesn’t factor in the time zone change as it would technically be 3 days before the cruise as we arrive before we leave if that makes sense??? and also would they accpet a non USA test?

Now im not sure I would want to risk it, would certainly need some assurance for RCI they would accept the Australian test dated on the 7th October.

Will maybe wait and see right now, hopefully rules change and it won’t be needed, but is worth considering just would RCI accept it or would they factor in the lost day from travelling between Sydney and Honolulu?

Hi, I googled "covid tests in Honolulu" and found results for travel and cruise ship test providers. There's one on the 4th floor of Waikiki Plaza shopping center in the heart of Waikiki (not Ala Moana shopping center, but the one close to Waikiki Beach). Unfortunately nothing comes cheap but it's a cost you can't avoid.

For our tests in NZ test prior to boarding in Brisbane I will count the actual HOURS to calculate the timeframe, I wouldn't risk relying on someone not being aware of countries time differences.

From their website:

The Waikiki PCR Testing Center is located on the 4th floor of the Waikiki Shopping Plaza, and will offer an FDA-approved Saliva Collection Test (real time RT-PCR), a “gold standard” FDA-approved Nasal Swab (real time RT-PCR) Test, and a Rapid Antigen Test for COVID-19. The testing center will operate 7 days a week between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, with last check-in at 4:30 PM.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi, I googled "covid tests in Honolulu" and found results for travel and cruise ship test providers. There's one on the 4th floor of Waikiki Plaza shopping center in the heart of Waikiki (not Ala Moana shopping center, but the one close to Waikiki Beach). Unfortunately nothing comes cheap but it's a cost you can't avoid.

Thank you Jean, much appreciated, have done a few searches myself as well, so got a few to choose from! Hopefully it wont be needed but best be prepared anyway.

7 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I wouldn't risk relying on someone not being aware of countries time differences.

Agree, also you wouldn’t have much of a leg to stand on if it was picked up, and be at their mercy to if you can get a last minute test and seeing as they may see you as trying to deceive them it may well be an expensive mistake!!! not to mention the worry leading up to boarding, not sure that in itself is worth it for a couple of hundred dollars.

PS, while in the area you MUST go to the Beach Bar at the Moana Surfrider (next to the Duke statue) for a Mai Tai - they do the best ones in all of Waikiki with the bar right on the beach 🍹 😋

3 minutes ago, Jean C said:

PS, while in the area you MUST go to the Beach Bar at the Moana Surfrider (next to the Duke statue) for a Mai Tai - they do the best ones in all of Waikiki with the bar right on the beach 🍹 😋

Noted! thanks for the tip....👍

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

Hawaii port schedule still doesn’t have Ovation or Quantum picking up passengers

LOL, Now that would be something to get frustrated about?? but notice they are still selling both cruises, but maybe someone at RCI needs to book the ships in 😄

just noticed something and made me laugh and think a bit!!!!

On the RCI website and conditions for boarding it cleary says thse Rules for COVID testing are for US RESIDENTS cruising from US Ports (See below)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/the-healthy-sail-center/pre-cruise-testing

But this cruise, although it leaves from Honolulu, actually finishes in Sydney (or Brisbane) so why would the US government have it complying with US rules if it doesn’t return to a US Port?  As I also cant find ANY REQUIRMENT for testing by American authority’s for anyone leaving the US by Air? Only the country you are flying to is what matters, Maybe it will come under Australian rules as that is were the cruise finishes? You can also click on different parts of the world for the applicable rules, currently Sydney and Brisbane have not been added, maybe along shot but even if these rules are still in place in October, they may well not apply to a cruise NOT returning to a US port.

*Crosses fingers

Edited by Hammer61

2 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

just noticed something and made me laugh and think a bit!!!!

On the RCI website and conditions for boarding it cleary says thse Rules for COVID testing are for US RESIDENTS cruising from US Ports (See below)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/the-healthy-sail-center/pre-cruise-testing

But this cruise, although it leaves from Honolulu, actually finishes in Sydney (or Brisbane) so why would the US government have it complying with US rules if it doesn’t return to a US Port?  As I also cant find ANY REQUIRMENT for testing by American authority’s for anyone leaving the US by Air? Only the country you are flying to is what matters, Maybe it will come under Australian rules as that is were the cruise finishes? You can also click on different parts of the world for the applicable rules, currently Sydney and Brisbane have not been added, maybe along shot but even if these rules are still in place in October, they may well not apply to a cruise NOT returning to a US port.

*Crosses fingers

Maybe, but that is all it is. When they say the rule applies to US passengers from US ports, an Australian boarding in Florida tomorrow needs to abide by the same rules.

Re the timing with time zones, I wouldn't suggest doing anything that puts the validity of your test at risk, but is a question that could be asked. For my recent boarding in Sydney, the self RAT was required inside 24hrs of boarding, yet the reporting of it on their app opened at 12:01am - some 10 hours earlier than defined. Locally that definition actually works of the calendar day, not the hours on the clock. Royal's definition is also based on days (2 days), not hours (48).

I think the Australian state governments would prefer that a ship arriving from an overseas origin would have passengers that tested negative prior to embarking. Also to note, the first four ships to arrive here are not carrying passengers, so there must be some degree of restriction either here or in the ports en route. Your biggest friend ATM is time, as plenty can change in the next 3 or 4 months.

5 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Noted! thanks for the tip....👍

LOL, Now that would be something to get frustrated about?? but notice they are still selling both cruises, but maybe someone at RCI needs to book the ships in 😄

I think it’s a 50% chance the ships will come empty.

They are probably just waiting to see how things turn out.

Its 2.5 week trip and could you imagine the bad publicity if a big ship like ovation arrived in Sydney with a bad dose of Covid onboard.

Its still happening in the Caribbean.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuitesRbest said:

No more pre flight testing to enter the USA has been announced.

Big mistake that, they are still dying like flies over there.

I think some of these Americans coming over here on the cruise ships will have a shock when they have to don masks etc.

• Like 1