Brillance of the Seas vs. Explorer of the Seas

I am currently trying to decided which cruise to book in January. I have been on several of the Voyager Class Ships and I am now considering a smaller ship. What do you all think? Which is better?

We are currently debating between a 10 day on Brillance or a 7 day on Explorer. Both in the Carribean, but the Brillance has much better ports. We have been on the Explorer once before. What is your opinion of Brillance?

I have been on Jewel which is sister ship to Brilliance. This was after Explorer and Voyager. Except for no Royal Promanade, you don't really even notice you are on a smaller ship. And there are so many more places that you see the ocean from this class..... I loved Jewel and would do it again in a heartbeat, and I was a die hard Voyager class fan, just agreed to Jewel because it left fro our home port. Glad I was convinced! I say if you like the itinerary of Brilliance go for it! You'll have a blast!!!!

Jen

Adventure ... 67 days!

Jewel 2005

Explorer 2004

Voyager 2002

Monarch 1994

Brilliance is by far the most beautiful ship I've seen out of 18 cruises. Lots of walls of glass giving an everpresent feeling of being at sea. Once on a Voyager class ship was enough. Felt like I had spent the week at Mall of America. So many facilities and activities in the interior mall with no feel of being at sea. Bigger is not necessarily better.

Brilliance. The radiance class ships are beautiful. I liked the Voyager class because I was on a cruise, but it was way too big. I didn't enjoy the promenade area as many people do. I think it would be great for families. Children would love it. As over 50 ers, we prefer the radiance class

I thoroughly enjoy both classes of ships. But without a doubt, Brilliance is the most beautiful! And there's plenty to do. Also, Brilliance has the Seaview Cafe for alternative dining at no extra cost. Besides all those glass elevators and walls, you can also elect to eat outside at the back of the Windjammer. You're always aware of the ocean on these Jewel class ships. Try Briilliance. And if you are going to Costa Rica, I highly recommend a tour with Oscar Brown. Check out the Costa Rica port of call board for info on how to e-mail him.

Definitely the Brilliance. You won't have an ice skating rink or the promenade, but that's about it. Overall, the Radiance class ships such as the Brilliance are more luxurious than the Voyager class. As for the Brialliance being a smaller ship, while that is technically correct, it is still a large ship by any standard. The Brilliance is a Panamax ship which means it is a large as a ship can be and still fit through the Panama Canal and that's pretty big with only a handful of ships actually being larger. I've been on Brilliance and Explorer and the 10 day on Brilliance would win every time.

we will be on the Brillance in march and love this size ship and loved the not knowing i am even at sea feeling of the NOS and am really looking forward to the genesis size ship to come out . Can you believe 48% bigger than the freedom! wow what a ship that will be, i will be first in line for that. Even if it was 48% of a voyager class ship!! cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm.....let me think...(she said, pushing hard on her forehead)....an EXTRA 3 days on the Brilliance WITH better ports, or 7 days on the Explorer?

I'm joking, but the answer is definitely, absolutely, completely the Brilliance. I've been on both ships, and you aren't giving much up with the extra 3 days and a gorgeous ship in the Brilliance.

We were on her last October, and the Explorer several years ago. I much preferred the Brilliance.

Enjoy!

We were on Brilliance 2 weeks ago for 10 nights and we are going to the Med. on her in Oct for 14 nights BUT I would take the Voyager Class anyday if the length of the cruise was the same. However, if I could get 3 more days, I would take the longer cruise.

I just wanted to think you for suggesting the 10 night cruise.

If she should happen to ask if she should choose balcony or inside, please feel free to suggest inside ;-)

--WinterEscape(original poster)'s husband and cruise financer

Archived