NCL Verification/Acceptance of SDM COVID Test Results

lx200gps

We just received our COVID test results prepatory to our trip this Sunday on the NCL Joy out of Manhattan for Bermuda. Results negative. The tests were done at a Montreal outlet of Shoppers Drug Mart (Pharmaprix here in Quebec) and the test reports look surprisingly amateurish and chintzy to me, to the point where I almost worry whether they would be questioned at check-in. The background form, in greyscale not color, so the Pharmaprix logo is black and white, was filled out very unusually by the nurse. Some of the info, such as the pharmacy name and address seem OK, entered onto the form in the computer, but the date was done with a rubber stamp, while the time of the  test, as well as our names and DOBs, were handwritten by the nurse.  Has anyone else who had their tests at an SDM in Canada (not Quebec) had any issues with cruise lines, particularly NCL, questioning the test docs?  Is it acceptable that our names and DOBs are handwritten? Also, though our names and DOBs exactly match our passport data, our passport numbers are not shown on the reports. 

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We just received our COVID test results prepatory to our trip this Sunday on the NCL Joy out of Manhattan for Bermuda. Results negative. The tests were done at a Montreal outlet of Shoppers Drug Mart (Pharmaprix here in Quebec) and the test reports look surprisingly amateurish and chintzy to me, to the point where I almost worry whether they would be questioned at check-in. The background form, in greyscale not color, so the Pharmaprix logo is black and white, was filled out very unusually by the nurse. Some of the info, such as the pharmacy name and address seem OK, entered onto the form in the computer, but the date was done with a rubber stamp, while the time of the  test, as well as our names and DOBs, were handwritten by the nurse.  Has anyone else who had their tests at an SDM in Canada (not Quebec) had any issues with cruise lines, particularly NCL, questioning the test docs?  Is it acceptable that our names and DOBs are handwritten? Also, though our names and DOBs exactly match our passport data, our passport numbers are not shown on the reports. 

Tried to reply. Lost it! So the standard for test reports is for the name and address of the organization and their registration #, the date and time the test was taken, the name, the lot# and the manufacturer of the test, and the name and role of the person authorized to administer it and their signature, and of course the result. Your name, address, DOB, and your passport # should also be shown, along with your signature. We were tested 5 times along the way and all results had the same information, and yes there was coloured logos to indicate the company. For one it was a green bar with NEGATIVE printed inside it. We were tested by NCL, and they also scrutinized our airline test in check in. A week later an independent contractor outside the terminal of the next cruise did the test and that was also scrutinized. Because all the vaccine and boarding info is already entered in the NCL app the test result are most important at check in. Pharmaprix are registered separately in Quebec even though they’re associated with SDM. 

4 hours ago, Tango99 said:

Tried to reply. Lost it! So the standard for test reports is for the name and address of the organization and their registration #, the date and time the test was taken, the name, the lot# and the manufacturer of the test, and the name and role of the person authorized to administer it and their signature, and of course the result. Your name, address, DOB, and your passport # should also be shown, along with your signature. We were tested 5 times along the way and all results had the same information, and yes there was coloured logos to indicate the company. For one it was a green bar with NEGATIVE printed inside it. We were tested by NCL, and they also scrutinized our airline test in check in. A week later an independent contractor outside the terminal of the next cruise did the test and that was also scrutinized. Because all the vaccine and boarding info is already entered in the NCL app the test result are most important at check in. Pharmaprix are registered separately in Quebec even though they’re associated with SDM. 

Pretty much all the required info is there on our test results, so we're good there.  The only thing missing is the passport # as there was no place for it on their form. The only other time we did a COVID test for a cruise, last November, there was no passport info shown either though it was not Pharmaprix, but a private testing company. The Princess rep in Fort Lauderdale had fun trying to read the french text, but fortunately it was bilingual. No problem with acceptance, so they didn't require the passport info. I was under the impression that the important detail is that the name and DOB EXACTLY match the passport, which is the case here.  Absolute worst case and we get a problem CSR at the terminal who refuses our docs, there are a number of testing sites in Manhattan within a few blocks of the terminal, but I sure don't want to have to scramble like that.

13 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Pretty much all the required info is there on our test results, so we're good there.  The only thing missing is the passport # as there was no place for it on their form. The only other time we did a COVID test for a cruise, last November, there was no passport info shown either though it was not Pharmaprix, but a private testing company. The Princess rep in Fort Lauderdale had fun trying to read the french text, but fortunately it was bilingual. No problem with acceptance, so they didn't require the passport info. I was under the impression that the important detail is that the name and DOB EXACTLY match the passport, which is the case here.  Absolute worst case and we get a problem CSR at the terminal who refuses our docs, there are a number of testing sites in Manhattan within a few blocks of the terminal, but I sure don't want to have to scramble like that.

Take your green box freebie govt tests with you, and if your pre-done tests get denied for some strange reason, go to https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/ and book the first available time (usually lots of times within the hour or so) and do those tests in a convenient corner of the terminal.  Results in about 30 min usually.  Much easier and cheaper IMO than running around Manhattan trying to find rush tests at a reasonable price.  Although, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with your SDM tests.

12 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Take your green box freebie govt tests with you, and if your pre-done tests get denied for some strange reason, go to https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/ and book the first available time (usually lots of times within the hour or so) and do those tests in a convenient corner of the terminal.  Results in about 30 min usually.  Much easier and cheaper IMO than running around Manhattan trying to find rush tests at a reasonable price.  Although, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with your SDM tests.

Have you done these? I’d need to book two separate appointments, but can they monitor both at the same time? Or would I need to book one 30 minutes after the other? 

10 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Have you done these? I’d need to book two separate appointments, but can they monitor both at the same time? Or would I need to book one 30 minutes after the other? 

Their appts are 8 min apart for the actual test, and you need separate accounts and separate appts in the booking system but then the proctor will supervise both at the same time if you ask.  Then you wait 15 min for the results to show in the test, take a pic and email it to them, then wait for the official results email to be sent to you.  We’ve used them twice now, once for NCL, once for a plane to WDW, and it was very easy.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Their appts are 8 min apart for the actual test, and you need separate accounts and separate appts in the booking system but then the proctor will supervise both at the same time if you ask.  Then you wait 15 min for the results to show in the test, take a pic and email it to them, then wait for the official results email to be sent to you.  We’ve used them twice now, once for NCL, once for a plane to WDW, and it was very easy.

Thank you. This is reassuring. It looks to be an easy system and cost effective, using the free government tests (green box) And, since we would be contacting them from The Netherlands, there is even a way to book it at the time that I'd be doing them ie. I don't have to figure out the time difference.😄 Having DH testing positive two weeks ago prior to our Koningsdam cruise, I am definitely a weeeeeeee bit anxious....already! 😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Thank you. This is reassuring. It looks to be an easy system and cost effective, using the free government tests (green box) And, since we would be contacting them from The Netherlands, there is even a way to book it at the time that I'd be doing them ie. I don't have to figure out the time difference.😄 Having DH testing positive two weeks ago prior to our Koningsdam cruise, I am definitely a weeeeeeee bit anxious....already! 😔

We did ours for NCL in Seattle, since we stayed there for a few days pre-cruise.  It was really easy to book since all I had to do was pick Pacific time. And it was very straightforward.  You’ll need a smartphone or iPad or such with the app, I don’t think they have a web-based version (although I didn’t look closely for that info, so they may have a way of doing it through their website)  The first time the proctor was a little more laidback than the second, who walked us through the steps more stringently, so if you’ve never done those tests before you might want to try one (non-proctored) before you leave if you have extras, just so you are familiar with the steps and how it works.  Although at this point, I think the number of people that haven’t done a Covid test before is getting smaller and smaller…

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, bookbabe said:

OP here. As it turns out, we did survive the NCL document check at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal with no difficulty. I had read a few comments in various places here on CC suggesting that the test report had to have your passport # shown, but that turns out not to be the case. The doc checker at the MCT had no issues  with our SDM test reports without the passport #, and I even found an NCL web page listing ALL info that has to be on the report. Passport # is not on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/11/2022 at 7:53 AM, bookbabe said:

I booked a proctored appointment for an upcoming cruise on Royal out of Vancouver for Sept, its the company that manufactures the green box test kits we all got from the government, BTNX here's the link if anyone wants to try them, https://proctoring.btnx.com/?tzCode=PDT&tzOff=420

Would love to hear from anyone whos tried them.

40 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

I booked a proctored appointment for an upcoming cruise on Royal out of Vancouver for Sept, its the company that manufactures the green box test kits we all got from the government, BTNX here's the link if anyone wants to try them, https://proctoring.btnx.com/?tzCode=PDT&tzOff=420

Would love to hear from anyone whos tried them.

Seem to be a little more expensive than Azova, unless you’ve got at least 4 people that need to be tested.  

You're right it is a bit more expensive, no just myself and my husband, but I'm also keeping the link to Azova close at hand just in case, never hurts to have a backup plan.

Edited by turnin50
  • Like 1