HAS THE PRIDE BEEN TO AMSTERDAM YET THIS SEASON?

80sGal

I can't find the itineraries for the past few weeks, but am curious to know if a stop has been made yet in Amsterdam, and if so, how were the ship-sponsored shore excursions?   Any info?   The selections are minimal -- museums, walking tours and/or canal cruise, and of course none of them have reviews.   Or does anyone have any suggestions for a non-ship excursion into Amsterdam based on pre-Covid experience?     

39 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

I can't find the itineraries for the past few weeks, but am curious to know if a stop has been made yet in Amsterdam, and if so, how were the ship-sponsored shore excursions?   Any info?   The selections are minimal -- museums, walking tours and/or canal cruise, and of course none of them have reviews.   Or does anyone have any suggestions for a non-ship excursion into Amsterdam based on pre-Covid experience?     

My family is flying into Amsterdam in a couple weeks.  We are there for four days and this is what I have scheduled:  Anne Frank House Museum tour (need to get tickets in advance, go to website) a 3 hour bike tour around Amsterdam with a guide, 1.5 hour canal tour with a small group that has beer, wine and snacks, Van Gough Museum, Rijksmuseum, Indonesian Rice Table dinner and my oldest daughter (22) is getting a tattoo.  The canal tour and bike tour I booked through Travelocity.  I don't know what your time frame is at port in Amsterdam but maybe you could check one of these activities out for your day.  Have fun!!

• Like 2

My experience is very pre-Covid - 2013, the last time a Carnival ship sailed from Dover. We did a Baltic cruise with Amsterdam as the last port. Here's a link to my review - Amsterdam is post #36: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/1814587-carnival-legend-july-3-15-2013-the-baltic-blowout/page/2/

We did an hour-long canal cruise with Lovers (www.lovers.nl) - just booked it when we disembarked. The ship docks near the train station and canal cruises are nearby. I really enjoyed the tour and it gave us a good overview of the city, although we didn't have time to visit sites like the Anne Frank House and the Rijksmuseum. After the canal tour we went to a cafe for beer and snacks and then walked back to the ship.

We're on the 6/19 cruise, which arrives in Amsterdam the next day;  I believe it's the first this year.  The ship no longer docks in Amsterdam; it docks in Ijmuiden, about 40 km away, so you'll have to figure transport into your plans.  We booked the ship's Rijksmuseum tour because we loved that museum on our previous visit and there won't be that much time to go on your own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCDragonfly said:

We're on the 6/19 cruise, which arrives in Amsterdam the next day;  I believe it's the first this year.  The ship no longer docks in Amsterdam; it docks in Ijmuiden, about 40 km away, so you'll have to figure transport into your plans.  We booked the ship's Rijksmuseum tour because we loved that museum on our previous visit and there won't be that much time to go on your own.

This is what I currently have booked through the ship also although I'd love some free time to see some city sights too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 80sGal said:

This is what I currently have booked through the ship also although I'd love some free time to see some city sights too. 

When I tell people who have been to Amsterdam that I am going there, many have suggested the Rijksmuseum as a must do.  Rick Steves suggests allowing 2 hours to tour it. The Van Gough Museum is close by as well.

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

When I tell people who have been to Amsterdam that I am going there, many have suggested the Rijksmuseum as a must do.  Rick Steves suggests allowing 2 hours to tour it. The Van Gough Museum is close by as well.

You don't need 2 hours in the Rijksmuseum especially if you have limited time, unless you want to ponder every single painting. Allocate 1 hour and instead take a canal boat ride. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You don't need 2 hours in the Rijksmuseum especially if you have limited time, unless you want to ponder every single painting. Allocate 1 hour and instead take a canal boat ride. 

I agree. ☝️Plus if you have anymore time go to the Anne Frank museum and then stop for a drink and some bitten balls at a street cafe.

13 hours ago, freeholdfriends said:

I agree. ☝️Plus if you have anymore time go to the Anne Frank museum and then stop for a drink and some bitten balls at a street cafe.

If you don't have tickets ahead of time for Anne Frank museum you would have to wait in a very long line and might not be able to get in.  Especially during summer.