Bloomberg article on cruising this summer, gas surcharges, shortages, etc.

Lunesse

No mention of Celebrity, but still a good heads up as to how the lines are dealing with several challenges. It's rough seas out there! 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-26/staffing-shortages-limit-carnival-norwegian-cruise-trips (paywall may stop some of you from seeing this, it was my freebie article for the month, or whatever!)   Happy sailing!

3 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

No mention of Celebrity, but still a good heads up as to how the lines are dealing with several challenges. It's rough seas out there! 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-26/staffing-shortages-limit-carnival-norwegian-cruise-trips (paywall may stop some of you from seeing this, it was my freebie article for the month, or whatever!)   Happy sailing!

Wish I could read this but as I am unable to prove that I am human I have no access

49 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Wish I could read this but as I am unable to prove that I am human I have no access

It basically says that cruise lines are facing lots of supply issues. Among other things, a visa problem delaying crew arrivals for Carnival has caused them to close 2 restaurants per ship. Other probs include the uncertainty surrounding Baltic routes b/c of Russia attacking Ukraine, shortages of materials for new ships, and problems with booze supplies (sound familiar?).

Nice general article but not much in-depth info.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it's pretty general. I wish they had more interviews with different lines. But, it was more recent than some articles I had seen. I didn't want to cut and paste it, thought I'd get in trouble.

😕

Here's a little snippet:

"Staffing shortages have resulted in a slew of cancellations for customers. Covid-related flight disruptions for returning crew were to blame for Carnival Corp.’s decision to limit capacity on its Cunard luxury line through July, forcing it in May to turn away customers already booked on its Alaska- and Europe-bound summer sailings. Same goes for Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., which unexpectedly announced it will sail its 2,186-passenger, Hawaii-bound Pride of America at just 40% to 50% capacity due to staff deficits. And the industrywide inability to obtain enough visas for crew amid a US State Department backlog led Carnival Cruise Line this month to temporarily close two restaurants on every ship in its fleet.

Entirely new lines, including the highly anticipated Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, have been ensnared by construction delays during the pandemic. And now rising fuel costs could hinder cruise operators’ plans even further. So far, Greek line Celestyal Cruises is one of two companies to add a last-minute fuel surcharge, of $8 per person per day. But other lines have that option in passenger contracts and can impose charges right up until departure."

• Thanks 1