New NCL AMEX Offer - $250 off $1,000 (Targeted)

13 hours ago, jenf22 said:

I prepaid tips, bought the 2 meal package for our son (3rd passenger), and bought our son internet.  It showed up as 3 separate charges on the card on 6/18.  I did NOT get the "congratulations" email.  The $125 credit posted on 6/21.  We still have the $250 back on $1000 on my husband's card.  That may be harder to use since our cruise was already paid for.  My husband's card and my card are the same credit account but different online accounts (we log in separately).  We have often received the same offer on each card and been able to use it.  

If you buy OBC with your husband's card (presuming you can use it say for excursions), will it show up as reservations? That worked for us once with an Amex offer for HAL (actually Carnival Corporation).

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, laudergayle said:

FWIW…I just used the $500/$125 Amex offer to prepay service charges, upgrade internet and purchase two excursions.  It posted to my Amex account NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE — RESERV. However it posted as separate transactions…one for NCL svc chrg and upgrade and a second one for the excursions.  Hopefully it will trigger the offer.  I also paid $200 on another cruise just in case the excursions get excluded.  Fingers crossed that the multiple transactions trigger the offer credit.

UPDATE…my prepaid tips and shore excursions which posted separately triggered the offer…got my credit today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If you buy OBC with your husband's card (presuming you can use it say for excursions), will it show up as reservations? That worked for us once with an Amex offer for HAL (actually Carnival Corporation).

Yes you can buy OBC and it will post like a reservation charge so you would be able to get the credit. 

Edited by Cruise Gopher
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Yes you can buy OBC and it will post like a reservation charge so you would be able to get the credit. 

The only question in my mind when I did the same with HAL was what would happen if we did not use the entire amount, especially as it was not the only OBC we had. I knew it was refundable, but I wondered if AMEX would claw back the credit. But then DW wanted the most expensive excursion for Anne of Green Gables, and my worries of not spending all of it were gone! 🤣

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The only question in my mind when I did the same with HAL was what would happen if we did not use the entire amount, especially as it was not the only OBC we had. I knew it was refundable, but I wondered if AMEX would claw back the credit. But then DW wanted the most expensive excursion for Anne of Green Gables, and my worries of not spending all of it were gone! 🤣

In this scenario, never use the AMEX card for your onboard account if you had an AMEX offer. That way if you got a refund for unused OBC it would go back to a different card and not the AMEX card. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

In this scenario, never use the AMEX card for your onboard account if you had an AMEX offer. That way if you got a refund for unused OBC it would go back to a different card and not the AMEX card. 

So onboard credit wouldn't be refunded to the card it was purchased from? How interesting 🤔🤔

7 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I never thought of that, but then I saw the next post and wondered if it would really work that way.

7 hours ago, carohs said:

So onboard credit wouldn't be refunded to the card it was purchased from? How interesting 🤔🤔

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I never thought of that, but then I saw the next post and wondered if it would really work that way.

It definitely does not go back to the card it was purchased on.  If you purchase OBC (refundable) ahead of the cruise, it is applied as a credit on your onboard account (hotel folio) at the start of the cruise. When you check in for your cruise you give them the card you want to use for any onboard purchases. At the end of the cruise, your onboard account (hotel folio) is settled against the card you used to check in. 

This is all very similar to how hotels work where I might give Card A to reserve my room (and maybe pay a deposit) but when I check in to the hotel I give them Card B to have all my charges applied against. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

It definitely does not go back to the card it was purchased on.  If you purchase OBC (refundable) ahead of the cruise, it is applied as a credit on your onboard account (hotel folio) at the start of the cruise. When you check in for your cruise you give them the card you want to use for any onboard purchases. At the end of the cruise, your onboard account (hotel folio) is settled against the card you used to check in. 

This is all very similar to how hotels work where I might give Card A to reserve my room (and maybe pay a deposit) but when I check in to the hotel I give them Card B to have all my charges applied against. 

OK, thanks good to know if we are ever in that situation again.