Advice for land excursions in South America

Peter Lanky

I have never cruised before, but have been quickly learning about it online. I am very likely to book an Oceania cruise around South America in 2024 starting at Lima and finishing in Buenos Aires. The package offers me 8 free excursions, which in reality is only 4 because they count excursions per person, so I'm looking for advice on which 4 calls would give me the best experience and value. However it is difficult to find out online what excursions are available at each port, so I'm hoping somebody with experience will help me. I use a wheelchair, but I am not completely dependent on it.

The ports of call are: Pisco, Coquimbo, San Antonio, Puerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Laguna San Rafael National Park, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Port Stanley, Punta del Este, Montevideo, Buenos Aires.

I'm aware that people get together on this forum to arrange private tours, and will probably join that, but the 4 included trips are there, so I want to make the best use of them.

2 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

I have never cruised before, but have been quickly learning about it online. I am very likely to book an Oceania cruise around South America in 2024 starting at Lima and finishing in Buenos Aires. The package offers me 8 free excursions, which in reality is only 4 because they count excursions per person, so I'm looking for advice on which 4 calls would give me the best experience and value. However it is difficult to find out online what excursions are available at each port, so I'm hoping somebody with experience will help me. I use a wheelchair, but I am not completely dependent on it.

The ports of call are: Pisco, Coquimbo, San Antonio, Puerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Laguna San Rafael National Park, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Port Stanley, Punta del Este, Montevideo, Buenos Aires.

I'm aware that people get together on this forum to arrange private tours, and will probably join that, but the 4 included trips are there, so I want to make the best use of them.

Definitely look at “penguin” tours in Port Stanley and/or Ushuaia. In Buenos Aires, do see a Tango show (O often does them in the evening on overnight stops). Most importantly, on the Pacific side (though I can’t remember which port), there’s an opportunity to do a fly over of the Nazca Lines. However, you would have to get absolutely clarity about handicapped access on the small planes used.

Also, do join your cruise’s “roll call” here on CC. The tours discussed are not just the private ones. 
Also, since you’ve selected the O Life tours option, remember that you can double each tour’s value by selecting the most expensive of the allowable ones (i.e., up to $199). In addition, if you choose to purchase additional ones (in any category), those initial O Life selections count toward the minimum tour number required for the YWYW 25% discount on your cruise. This can mean substantial savings.

BTW, on the O website, you can see the excursions listed in your account for that cruise (you have to register the cruise to see the options for tours, restaurants, etc). Once you search for tours on the O website, you’ll also find that some are best for handicapped access as designated with a ️ Icon. Even before you book the cruise, you can search the O website for each port and there will be example of the regular tours done at that port.

We did Rio to Lima several years ago. Wonderful cruise made better by the Oceania experience.

08429AF6-3E9D-4CE2-A93B-F3C642BD8B85.jpeg

01987A20-925F-4235-B5CC-08D2F80C83C8.jpeg

908EF179-F601-471C-9DBC-9611D229151B.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Love the penguin pic.  Immediately brought to mind RCA Victor's "His Master's Voice" logo from so long ago.  Were you imparting wisdom or just trying to teach the bird a new song?

Actually - asking him to stop biting my shoe.

His name is Stanley (they named the Port after him).

8E083799-F507-442F-A61B-272CC8D61D67.jpeg

The picture of the tango interlude at the winery brought back wonderful memories!

There are many sites you can use to arrange tours. Try the Ports of Call Boards here on Cruise Critic and Tours By Locals, Viator, and Trip Advisor.

A simple google search of cruise port excursions will provide additional leads.

Oceania Roll Calls are not heavily visited but are a definite go to for information and you can search for a Roll Call even before you book a cruise. If you find self booked excursions you can always open seats for others too. It works both ways very well.

As you make plans try to extend your stay in Buenos Aires for a few days. It is a big city but it's a wonderful place to visit. The inner city has wide smooth sidewalks which would make it easy for you and your throne.

Please enjoy planning your cruise and come back with any questions you have.

To the OP, Peter;

Please find the Feb 27, 2023 B.A. -Miami Roll Call. I have posted several available shore excursions for that cruise that may provide you with plenty of information. My email address is included in one of the posts, so feel free to contact me.

You’ll notice our listed tours are 50-70% less than those similarly listed by Oceania, and always small group.

I am on the Santiago to B.A. cruise, departing February 7.  If you check that roll call, you will find leads for contacts to arrange private or small group tours.  My email information is included in a couple of them so feel free to contact me.  We used Signature Tours for post cruise arrangements in B.A.

Chile Dream Tours for most of the Chilean ports.  The only way to get off ship in Laguna San Rafael is with O’s excursion which is not included as a freebie.  We used shipboard credit to cover that one.  Enjoy your planning; for me it’s almost as much fun as the trip.

Harriet