Traveling with Children Covid Change!!!

I’m traveling with my children 10 & 11 and they have had their Covid vaccine (Pfizer in 11/21) We are leaving on June 25 on the Allure of the Seas.  I checked last week and they were cleared to board (awaiting the Rapid test with 48 hours).  Today I looked at the RCCL App and they were not clear (what changed?) HEADS UP!!!  The CDC changed the guidelines on June 19th that a fully vaccinated child requires 2 shots.  I called RCCL and they said children require a PCR test 3 days prior to sailing now, since they are no longer considered fully vaccinated!!! We sail on Saturday, it’s Wednesday night at 9….the best I can do is get a PCR tomorrow.  I’m struggling with this and want to share the information because lots of people are sailing with children.  I did not receive an email or call about this.  😞

In theory, they could have been vaccinated on the day the change was made (6/19) and still not been ok by 6/25 to travel by the new standard.

This is crazy, how many children/families will be denied at boarding.

6 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

As far as I know, kids always needed 2 doses…

Exactly. Nothing has changed. The only people not needing 2 doses were those (adults) who received J&J.

• Like 3

Agree with others.   Nothing has changed as far as I know.  Royal spells out exactly what is considered fully vaccinated.  Not that big of a deal anyhow.  It is 1-3 days prior as far as I know, not it has to be 3 days prior.  Test them tomorrow and all good.  The only difference will be the slight delay boarding because they will also get antigen tested at the port.  Not that big of a deal.  

• Like 2

Most likely, someone noticed this and realized you didn’t fully vaccinate your kids. Unsure of why you only got one dose. Pharmacies, the CDC, and Royal have been very clear that “fully vaccinated” means 14 days after dose 2 for Pfizer and Moderna. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JMHappy said:

I have screens shots of them cleared for boarding and when I called they are no longer cleared.  It’s a problem.

This isn’t a big deal.  Get them tested tomorrow and make sure you bring those results.  Then the will test them again at the port.  All told not a huge issue.  Life onboard is pretty much the same for vax vs unvaccinated.    

Not sure I understand the cleared to board part.  How can anyone be cleared to board until tested (adult or kid)? 

• Like 2

The reason I called is there was a discrepancy in the App on my phone and the App on my iPad.  My IPad said cleared and my phone said Not cleared.  When I tried to put their vaccine information in the app on my phone, it said “We’re frustrated, too.  Thanks for your patience while we work through this issue”. That is what prompted me to call.  

Hopefully it will all work out!  I’m scrambling to get in compliance now.

When hubby and I got our first dose, they immediately scheduled our second before we left the office.  The same with my son, daughter and 2 grandchildren.  Did they not do that for your child?  Have you had 2 shots?  Not understanding why you’d think your child only needed one shot to be fully vaxxed  even without the cruise issue?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JMHappy said:

The reason I called is there was a discrepancy in the App on my phone and the App on my iPad.  My IPad said cleared and my phone said Not cleared.  When I tried to put their vaccine information in the app on my phone, it said “We’re frustrated, too.  Thanks for your patience while we work through this issue”. That is what prompted me to call.  

Hopefully it will all work out!  I’m scrambling to get in compliance now.

If they have had both shots (the last 15 days prior to day 1 of your trip) don’t waste your time on the phone.  They will be considered unvaccinated without both shots in the required timeframe.   Just get them PCR test 1-2 days prior and then they will do it again at the port.  I did this last month.  Slight inconvenience, but not a huge deal.  Take a deep breath and realize your trip is not ruined (unless someone tests positive).  Hope that helps you.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, JMHappy said:

Let me clarify…the vaccine requirement was cleared with a green check mark on the app, now it is not.

Okay, but they aren’t fully vaccinated. So they need the PCR test. That’s how this gets cleared up. They won’t be allowed on board otherwise. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JMHappy said:

This is crazy, how many children/families will be denied at boarding.

I would say very very few since “fully vaccinated” for every child at this point requires two doses of a vaccine since J&J was never an approved vaccine for kids.

This isn’t a recent CDC change—it’s just always been the way it is. The CDC did just approve vaccines for children under 5 on June 19th but that’s a completely different thing than what you’re talking about. And those vaccines are either 2 or 3 doses depending on manufacturer

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JMHappy said:

Let me clarify…the vaccine requirement was cleared with a green check mark on the app, now it is not.

Doesn’t matter.  Did they get two shots or not?  If they didn’t, Royal finally caught it and they will not be considered vaccinated.  I have no idea why you submitted them as fully vaccinated if they aren’t?   That seems wrong to me.  Why are you getting upset at Royal for finally catching your invalid submission?  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, poocher said:

When hubby and I got our first dose, they immediately scheduled our second before we left the office.  The same with my son, daughter and 2 grandchildren.  Did they not do that for your child?  Have you had 2 shots?  Not understanding why you’d think your child only needed one shot to be fully vaxxed  even without the cruise issue?

No they did not and they have been to their pediatrician multiple times! 😞.  This is my fault.

• Thanks 2

Also, please note that RC's website states that fully vaccinated means having completed the total number of doses required by the manufacturer.  I have a 3 year old, and Pfizer is easier to find than Moderna.  But it has to be Moderna because we don't have enough time to have 3 shots, and then wait another 14 days for her to be considered fully vaccinated for the cruise.  So for most children, it will be two shots plus another 14 days, but if you chose Pfizer for an under 5, you'll need 3 shots plus another 14 days.  

And to the OP, your pediatrician really should have offered you your second shot at each visit.  This isn't entirely your fault.

And does anyone know how to change the title of this thread?  Does the op need to contact an admin?  I just don't want people thinking "oh god, what now" when they see the title because RC didn't change their policy.  Someone at RC screwed up when they cleared your kids, and then another employee at RC  caught their error, but nothing has changed.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 3

Sorry, but at least you have time to get the necessary test.  If you had shown up at the terminal and they saw only one shot, you would have been denied boarding with no way to fix it.  BTW, I would be having a stern conversation with that pediatrician when I got back!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

Just now, poocher said:

Sorry, but at least you have time to get the necessary test.  If you had shown up at the terminal and they saw only one *****, you would have been denied boarding with no way to fix it.

Thanks…you are correct.  Have to look at the bright side!

• Like 1

Also, just a heads up - since they are not considered fully vaccinated, they will need to be tested to re-enter the US on your last sea day. The ship will provide you the time and location for this test. Just keep your fingers crossed they come back negative at that point! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Also, please note that RC's website states that fully vaccinated means having completed the total number of doses required by the manufacturer.  I have a 3 year old, and Pfizer is easier to find than Moderna.  But it has to be Moderna because we don't have enough time to have 3 shots, and then wait another 14 days for her to be considered fully vaccinated for the cruise.  So for most children, it will be two shots plus another 14 days, but if you chose Pfizer for an under 5, you'll need 3 shots plus another 14 days.  

And to the OP, your pediatrician really should have offered you your second shot at each visit.  This isn't entirely your fault.

And does anyone know how to change the title of this thread?  Does the op need to contact an admin?  I just don't want people thinking "oh god, what now" when they see the title because RC didn't change their policy.  Someone at RC screwed up when they cleared your kids, and then another employee at RC  caught their error, but nothing has changed.

You do realize there is zero need for a 3 year old to be fully vaccinated for a cruise, right?   Not sure I see the logic in a cruise requirement (that isn’t required) serving a variable in which vaccine to pick.  So I just thought I would mention that it isn’t required for a child of that age in case you didn’t know.