How is St. John now after those hurricanes a few years ago?

39august

We’ve not been since Irma and Maria of 2017, but I did follow the clean-up progress and the rehabilitation of the coral and vegetation following and it’s been amazing…Very destructive indeed, but almost a natural cleansing, especially since the beaches and coral were closed to visitors…

On 7/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, FLcruisergrl said:

We spent a week on St Thomas last summer and went to St John. Everything is lush and green again and businesses are open and thriving.

Nice!! Was on St. Thomas in Dec. 2018 they wouldn't let us on St. John it wasn't ready for visitors yet. Going back next year and looking forward to it. 

You didn't by chance see the new bar at Trunk Bay did you? They needed a new bar terribly I just hate it they had to get a new one by having a hurricane blow the old one too pieces.  

Exact same thing or worse at Magens, AWESOME Beach, Beautiful water, great atmosphere, the bar is THE WORST!!

The bar at Magens Bay needs blown to shreds and washed out to sea by the next hurricane and replaced with something that actually compliments an otherwise beautiful Bay. 

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Yes you can find a ton of info as well as current feedback on the STJ forum on CC’s sister site TripAdvisor.

TT, be careful what you wish for! 🙈🙉🙊🤨

Edited by blue_water

10 hours ago, blue_water said:

Yes you can find a ton of info as well as current feedback on the STJ forum on CC’s sister site TripAdvisor.

TT, be careful what you wish for! 🙈🙉🙊🤨

I'm sorry I just could never understand how an absolutely incredible Bay with such an outstanding beach, views unparalleled, water unbelievable which is all operated by the US Parks Service doesn't have a bigger restaurant and bar. 

Every time I'm there it's so packed you can't get near it and when you try and get something to eat or drink there's 150 maybe 200 people standing around not drinking not eating doing nothing. Enough of that nonsense, if I stay on STT and don't catch the ferry over to STJ, it's Sapphire every time. From now on I'm keeping it simple.  Thanks!!

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, TTEllis said:

Nice!! Was on St. Thomas in Dec. 2018 they wouldn't let us on St. John it wasn't ready for visitors yet. Going back next year and looking forward to it. 

You didn't by chance see the new bar at Trunk Bay did you? They needed a new bar terribly I just hate it they had to get a new one by having a hurricane blow the old one too pieces.  

Exact same thing or worse at Magens, AWESOME Beach, Beautiful water, great atmosphere, the bar is THE WORST!!

The bar at Magens Bay needs blown to shreds and washed out to sea by the next hurricane and replaced with something that actually compliments an otherwise beautiful Bay. 

Thanks for your help.

No, we didn’t see the bar. Sorry!   It had been years since we’d been in the USVI, so I can’t say if everything is the same as it was pre-Irmaria, but it was certainly wonderful last summer!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

No, we didn’t see the bar. Sorry!   It had been years since we’d been in the USVI, so I can’t say if everything is the same as it was pre-Irmaria, but it was certainly wonderful last summer!

Hey Thanks for the info. sounds like things are returning to some normalcy on St. John. Sounds Awesome!! Thank you!

• Like 1

Actually, reading current trip reports Trunk, Cinnamon, and even other bays like Maho  are crazy busy and land visitors can’t even find parking space some days. Some reports contain more details on the amenities…food truck at Cinnamon, for example…
The changes to Maho are particularly sad to read…

Oh brother, I can't imagine everybody is dying to get out especially to St. John.

I've only been on Trunk once where it got packed and that was later in the afternoon. All the other times there was very few people it was wonderful. Nobody on Cinnamon or Hawks Nest(GRRRREAT little beach). Now I can't imagine it's something to take into consideration when deciding to head over and spend the day there. 

I'm getting old, those days of the mad dash off the ship, taxi, ferry, taxi thing those days are long over. I don't do hurries anymore. With that being said I still want to go over and hang out on Trunk for the day. If not I would love to see the new bar and grill at Sapphire. Thanks for the heads up. 

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

Well at least you wouldn’t have to worry about a parking spot at Trunk! ☺️👏

No parking fee but I have a feeling the transportation costs over and back have increased also. I used to get over and back from Crown Bay for about $55(US). I'm sure that's changed.  

The taxi from Crown Bay or Havensight to Redhook is probably close to $20 each way now. $6 Ferry fee, taxi and entrance fee to Trunk another $20, to and from Cruz Bay. Plus bar tab, better have a lot of fun.🙂 that's a long day a alot of $$$.