MSC no longer requiring Travel Insurance on Non-US departures?

Native Floridian 26

I just saw this.  So for the same cruise sailing, people can either have to or not have to have insurance based on when they booked? Seems hard to administer.

For U.S. and Puerto Rico residents departing on cruises from a non-U.S. port and non-U.S. residents departing on cruises from U.S. and international ports:

For all new reservations, beginning July 1, 2022, MSC Cruises strongly encourages but does not require fully vaccinated guests to purchase travel insurance with COVID-19 protection either through MSC Cruises or another provider.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures#faq

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Think it is just a poorly worded paragraph for them meaning all sailings effective July 1st. The agents at the pier have no way of seeing when you booked.

Bret

No, it says reservations…. Doesn’t matter when you booked.  My reservation is for March for example.  No insurance needed.

Just for clarification @Lisichka, "reservation" in cruise line speak normally refers to when a booking is made, not a sailing. At least in the US. You would have made a previous "reservation" for an upcoming "sailing" or "booking" in March. Not trying to nitpick with you, just expressing why that language is confusing to other folks.

Bret

• Like 1

Bret, you're right about how it's poorly worded, and we may see a correction at some point due to the confusion.  Regardless, this is good news and getting back to "normal".  If they would just now quit the testing, we be in great shape.  Since our sailing is Med, we generally take the travel insurance anyway mainly for medical and evacuation but not through the cruiseline.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

Has anyone else with an upcoming non U.S. cruise gotten any answers from MSC? We’re sailing from Hamburg next month, booked in 2020, and the rep said today we still needed insurance. Hopefully MSC will clarify this requirement on their website!

13 hours ago, finney1000 said:

Has anyone else with an upcoming non U.S. cruise gotten any answers from MSC? We’re sailing from Hamburg next month, booked in 2020, and the rep said today we still needed insurance. Hopefully MSC will clarify this requirement on their website!

On July 4th I booked a cruise leaving Cairo November 2022. The booking engine said travel insurance was mandatory for my cruise (US resident leaving out of non-US port.) Of course, this is MSC we are talking about. The rule could have changed and nobody bothered to update the booking engine. 

I called MSC Canada on Monday to book a cruise and the agent told me that if people test positive to Covid while on the cruise ship, they will have to disembark at the next port of call so that's why you should get the Covid protection plan. Is that true? 

On 7/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, MM42 said:

I called MSC Canada on Monday to book a cruise and the agent told me that if people test positive to Covid while on the cruise ship, they will have to disembark at the next port of call so that's why you should get the Covid protection plan. Is that true? 

I intend on buying pack and go travel insurance from my TA, so I'll be covered no matter what.

13 hours ago, Nicky Mouse said:

I intend on buying pack and go travel insurance from my TA, so I'll be covered no matter what.

My post is not about insurance. I ALWAYS buy insurance. My post is about the fact that he told me that people have to disembark at the next port of call if they test positive on the ship.