Looking for accessible excursions in Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic), and Tortola BVI for Nov. 2022 cruise on NCL Escape

btc1951

We are booked on the NCL Escape for a 7-DAY CARIBBEAN ROUND-TRIP ORLANDO: GREAT STIRRUP CAY & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, and none of the excursions are fit for someone using a motorized wheelchair. So I'm thinking we might need to book through a private tour company. Anyone have experience with this at these ports? And also what to do at Great Stirrup Cay?

Great Stirrup Cay is a beach stop. I believe it is a tender port, so unless you can get off the wheelchair, you will be unable to tender.

For the other excursions, you might want to check the ports of call boards for your ports.

Yes, GSC is a tender port. You transfer to a smaller boat directly from the cruise ship. The smaller boat goes between the ship and shore. 

Where are you stopping at the Dominican Republic? Amber Cove, or elsewhere? 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:53 PM, FOPMan said:

Yes, GSC is a tender port. You transfer to a smaller boat directly from the cruise ship. The smaller boat goes between the ship and shore. 

Where are you stopping at the Dominican Republic? Amber Cove, or elsewhere? 

My understanding is that NCL now uses the new Taino Bay port. As far as GSC, my husband will also have a folding rollator that he can use there. I'm hoping they will let him get on the tender with it, but I'll check with the accessibility desk once on board.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, SpencerNY1 said:

Did you find anything in Tortola? 

We're booked on the Discover Tortola excursion through NCL. The tour uses open-air safari type vehicles. My son & daughter-in-law will be with us so they can help get my husband on/off the bus if necessary. He will be using the rollator on Tortola, not the motorized wheelchair.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Betsy - I appreciate your post, because we're going on the same itinerary in December, and I am having a TERRIBLE time deciding about excursions for my mom.  She has neuropathy and balance issues, and is just frail, so we're planning to bring her rollator and also rent a wheelchair for the ship, to try to make sure she gets to enjoy the cruise and doesn't feel trapped in her room.  But the ports are the big problem - each port has a long, loooong walk that she just couldn't manage, no matter how game she is.  (She freaks out at driving a scooter, so that's not a good idea.  I'm going to see if we can take the rented wheelchair off the ship, but then where do you stow it?)

My husband and 25 year old son are coming along, and between the two of them they can get her off at GSC and there are beach wheelchairs we could grab if we go early enough.  But I want to take her on a tour, at least once, and I settled on St Thomas because it's the longest port day.

I'm pretty resourceful, but I'm at a loss.  Sigh.