Need help - Silversea Air Arrangement Question

AndieSF

@fyreus - I just checked with MO, from SCL to the hotel, they provide airport pick up service:

• Mercedes Benz E-Class (1-2 passengers) or Mercedes Benz V-Class (1-4 passengers) =  $ 80.000 Chilean pesos each way (US$85.60) 
  • Alternative is via taxi, approx. US$20-32

Hope this helps 🙂

@AndieSF Did SS confirm to you that they are using the Mandarin Oriental as their pre-cruise hotel for Antarctica trips in December? We are traveling to Santiago a day early in mid-December, and although we assumed it was the MO from prior years, SS told my travel agent earlier this summer that they could not yet say which hotel they are using. (Which is crazy, since they have to have a room block well in advance!) I was going to book the extra night on our own, because it was a bit cheaper, until I realized that if we booked it with SS, in combination with using SS air, we'd get the transfer to the hotel included and wouldn't  be charged a deviation fee for the earlier date. So we booked the extra night at the hotel through SS, who still hasn't told us what hotel it is. (And MY SIlversea continues to show "Silversea Simply Hotel.") It doesn't really matter, and I'm guessing it's the MO, but I'm interested if you got that confirmed from them.

Initially (a month ago),  Silversea told me it was going to be "Ritz Carlton or something similar".    When I spoke to the agent yesterday to cancel my flights (after I found out they swapped my flights without letting me know) - the agent told me that it is "currently with MO, but it may change".   

I wanted to know which category of room Silversea selected, so I can reserve the same category room a night prior to avoid the need to change rooms.  I emailed MO Santiago this morning and they responded that "Room’s availability is secured but the reservation hasn’t been made just yet, but anyways we always book DELUXE category for Silversea’s travelers so please consider booking this category when you proceed with this."    

So I booked a deluxe room at MO that is cancellable up to 24 hours prior arrivals.  

SS sent this message to our 'alternate' email address. This should go to our primary address, right?

Anyway, sounds like SS wants to go through our TA if flights go awry.

Dear Esteemed Guest,

As you are probably aware, airlines are currently experiencing an unprecedented number of flight disruptions as they deal with staffing shortages, bad weather and increased travel demand.

We understand how these challenges can impact our guests' air arrangements, and wish to assure you that our dedicated Silver Sky Air Concierge team is diligently working each day to find solutions for those guests who may experience a flight change or cancellation.

In these instances, we always strive to fulfill our guests' preferences with the same or similar flights. Unfortunately, this is not always possible due to the close-in nature of the changes and cancellations, as well as the high costs the airlines very often impose with little to no price protection being offered.

To minimize any possible disappointment, we urge you and your travel advisor to closely monitor your flight reservations. If you encounter changes or cancellations and wish to inquire about alternate flights, please have your travel professional contact our Silver Sky Air Concierge team to review options. Please note that special requests or deviations may incur airfare differential charges.

We appreciate your understanding, and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,
Silversea Cruises

@goletans - Interesting!  I didn't get a letter like that!  But I also booked directly via Silversea (mistake #1), so I do not have a TA to reach their air department directly.

But I must say, not only they didn't even try to accommodate, they requested for an additional surcharge to book my preferred flights, just to remove it 3 days later (but not the surcharge).   

I understand they are overwhelmed with existing bookings... but the flights we want for Nov/Dec have not changed. I think they could've avoided a lot of unnecessary headache from both fronts...

@AndieSF Thanks for the hotel info for Santiago. It's amazing to me that they haven't confirmed room blocks now that it's only 5 months out. 

@goletans If you book through a travel agent, the cruise line will always want all communications to go through your travel agent and not directly to the cruise line. This can get confusing with air problems, I guess, so I think their letter is just an attempt to get passengers to utilize their travel agents as the point of contact instead of flooding their air department directly. 

Before the cruise, yes, I always use our TA. But we have our air booked via SS and it seems to me that when problems arise with flights that SS should take the lead in resolving the situation. I do not expect any TA to stay vigilant 24/7 especially concerning return flights when changes or cancelations can arise at any time. Still of issue is that SS sent this message to our 'alternate' email address.

@goletans - that is a problem. I wonder why they did communicate via your main email address?
Better, they skipped all of our email addresses and didn't communicate to us (I checked the spam inboxes, nada) 🙂

@fyreus - I have not done one way...

Just FYI - Today I got the air credit back from Silversea back to my credit card.  It was $950pp, and not $1000pp previously suggested by the rep.

@cruiseej - Thanks for your idea .. I went back and compared with my previous statement from SS, and the only difference was they removed $1000 air pp, but added $50 for "transfer".   I am not sure what that is, since they are actually not picking me up at the airport...

I spoke with one of the agent yesterday and he confirmed that it is currently booked with MO for the night in Santiago.  They just have not submitted the final name list yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AndieSF said:

@cruiseej - Thanks for your idea .. I went back and compared with my previous statement from SS, and the only difference was they removed $1000 air pp, but added $50 for "transfer".   I am not sure what that is, since they are actually not picking me up at the airport...

I spoke with one of the agent yesterday and he confirmed that it is currently booked with MO for the night in Santiago.  They just have not submitted the final name list yet.

The transfer is the Blacklane car service from your house to the airport and back again, but only for 50 miles. You have to book it yourself. SS call it 'Private Executive Transfer'.

If you don't want it, ask for it to be removed and the $50 credited back.

Many of us find it completely useless and always take the credit.

@jollyjones - Thank you for your info!  I just looked at the latest statement - on the "Transportation" section, I do not see "Home to Airport" and vise versa.  Is it supposed to?  I will check with them on Monday and confirm - and see if I can have them removed.  I am only 8 miles away from the airport, UBER will be just fine 🙂 

Hi all,

I'm also having a heck of a time with SS Air and am considering booking my own flights. I just wanted to confirm what kind of a credit I should expect from SS

as I understand it:

$1000 pp airfare economy

additional $1400 pp refunded for business upgrade

do you all agree I can expect $2400 pp back from SS towards booking my own tickets?

I know that you guys aren't SS but I am grateful for any insights you can offer.

@hsheffield - If you already paid your business upgrade, I think it is reasonable to assume you should get $2400 credit back pp.  But I suggest you ask your SS agent - they can give you the info easily.

In my case: 

I prepaid the economy for $1000pp at the time of booking.  The upgrade was later made for $2498pp but it was not due until late Sept.   It was impossible to get the actual flight reservations made, even with the supervisor - and with the help from everyone on this discussion, I decided to book on my own.  I double checked with the agent and confirmed that I would be getting the $1000pp back (and removed the upgrade) --- I booked my flights directly on my own and cancelled my air with SS.  Within a week I saw the credit back to my credit card.   

However, they only credited me $950pp - and on the statement, the $1000 pp air is gone, but they added "Transfer" $50  pp.   With info from Jollyjones, I plan to call SS on Monday and ask about that.  I don't need them to pick me up from my home to the airport for $50pp.  I will reply when I know more.

• Thanks 1

My next 2 on the radar, which were booked with air included have both now been allocated.

I did give my preference details direct to SS prior to allocation, which they unfortunately ignored. Contacted once I saw and was easily changed without fuss to an early morning flight from LHR to Bridgetown.

The second was always going to be more problematic as it was long distance open jaw. Embarkation Osaka and return flight from Anchorage. This booking with an agent. I spoke to give my preferences and concerned and requested a conversation with options prior to allocating. That was ignored and the one specific thing I said we wanted to avoid on connectiong flights, we got.

We've been given a 1h05m connection in Tokyo and Seattle.

I'm always ultra catious in the US after a 4h15m connection on Delta in Atlanta proved not to be enough. Having to clear customs and Passport control and go through 2 lots of security as well as the transit itself, I'd not want anything issued that seems impossible.

Asked the agent a week ago to get changed, but nothing done yet.

The last thing I want to happen is miss the expensive overnight paid for in Osaka or spend an airport extra day in Seattle and home a day later because the connecting times are just not feasible.

Thoughts? 

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 1:40 AM, AndieSF said:

I just looked at the latest statement - on the "Transportation" section, I do not see "Home to Airport" and vise versa.  Is it supposed to?

If your original booking was prior to the introduction of Door-to-Door pricing last year, you may not have it on your booking. When our travel agent worked to get our December 2021 Antarctica cruise — which Silversea cancelled because the Wind was not ready — rolled over to the 2022 cruise, she was able to get them to include the home-to-airport transfers even though we had paid for the cruise back in 2019 before this option existed. 

Here's what I see on My Silversea:

image.thumb.png.ab1de84553b64251a08868c4bab98b7a.png

Do you have the Private Executive Transfer? If not, the "transfer" you're seeing might be something else.

@les37b - I think anything less than 2 hour for flight connections at any airport is risky, especially for international flights.  Not only you might need to run between the terminals and/or engage with securities and customs checkpoints, and you are at risk of missing your checked baggage to tight connections.  I hope you can find a better flight arrangement for longer layover time!

• Like 2

@cruiseej - I think I am seeing something else... our cruise has been changed 3x since the pandemic...

I don't see "Private Executive Transfer"... just "Transfer" (after "Non-Used Air Credit")  And it is popped up after we removed our flights, charging $50pp.

image.png.e3e4fde549d697abd5f671b47be5dfe8.png

17 minutes ago, AndieSF said:

@cruiseej - I think I am seeing something else... our cruise has been changed 3x since the pandemic...

I don't see "Private Executive Transfer"... just "Transfer" (after "Non-Used Air Credit")  And it is popped up after we removed our flights, charging $50pp.

image.png.e3e4fde549d697abd5f671b47be5dfe8.png

This was mentioned on another thread. Air was credited but the airport-to-hotel and/or hotel-to-port transfer remained. That person had to call again to have that transfer refunded too.