Drinks package upgrade

Phils01

Hi, not sailed on Celebrity before and I’ve just booked a 12 night cruise as part of a larger package 

The cruise includes the ‘Always Included’ package which has the classic drinks pack

we are no wine connoisseurs by any stretch but like standard wine, cocktails and beer and gin with a mixer, mostly

Is it worth upgrading to the premium drinks package ? - are most drinks in the classic pack ? Do you just pay the difference in the drink prices if they’re outside of the classic price ?

Some guidance from some seasoned Celebrity cruisers would be gratefully appreciated 

Hi there are lots of threads on drink packages if you search the thread using the box top right.

If you want a drink that is over the limit on Classic you pay the difference, on Celebrity website you can find the different brands on each package under Dining or Drink packages sorry can't remember which.

3 hours ago, Phils01 said:

Hi, not sailed on Celebrity before and I’ve just booked a 12 night cruise as part of a larger package 

The cruise includes the ‘Always Included’ package which has the classic drinks pack

we are no wine connoisseurs by any stretch but like standard wine, cocktails and beer and gin with a mixer, mostly

Is it worth upgrading to the premium drinks package ? - are most drinks in the classic pack ? Do you just pay the difference in the drink prices if they’re outside of the classic price ?

Some guidance from some seasoned Celebrity cruisers would be gratefully appreciated 

I think you'll be just fine.  The best advice is to start out with the always included package and try it for yourself.  You can upgrade at any point during the cruise if you determine there's a benefit.

3 hours ago, Phils01 said:

Just take a look at the list and see if anything you drink regularly is not covered...

For example, Baileys is not on the classic package, similarly Guinness is not on the classic list either, nor are the better gins, or the large Martinis served at the Martini Bar.

So in general there are plenty of perfectly drinkable options on the classic package, but if there are specific brands you prefer then you may need to think about an upgrade.

There is no Baileys alternative though so for my wife this isn't even a question 🙂

• Like 1

Yes, you only pay the difference (plus 20% gratuity unless you are sailing out of Southampton) over the classic package allowance, so it's non big deal to have the occasional splurge of a few extra bucks if you want something "premium."

I wouldn't say that most drinks are covered by the classic package, but you should have no trouble staying within the classic package.  I've pretty much always seen Gordon's gin in the well, and Beefeater is covered by the classic package.  There are plenty of beers available, as well.  If you aren't all that concerned about the wine, then you'll have no trouble there either.

I agree with the advice to see what you have once you're on board.  If you want to upgrade, you'll have no trouble doing so on the ship.  There often is a cost advantage to doing so beforehand, but it's relatively minor.