Bilbao low key options

We're in port Tues Aug 9, 7am-4pm, Enchanted Princess.

Normally, we'd be gone all day on independent tours and walk... a lot!  Due to chronic fatigue, unlikely for DH. However, we definitely want to go ashore!

If not taking an excursion on a crowded bus or public transportation, and DH not up for lengthly, quick-paced walking tours, what can we do in Bilbao (other than the Guggenheim) for a half day? Exclusive private tours $$$ or renting a car are out.

Taxis available at the pier? Pay with credit card? Where should we go?

Encouraging suggestions welcome!

We were in Bilbao in May.  Our ship (Oceania Sirena) had a shuttle that dropped us in the Ensanche area of Bilbao.  I believe it was about a  20-30 minute drive from the port to the town.  We walked around Bilbao for a while and saw several beautiful churches.  We also walked around the outside of the Guggenheim. The building and surrounding art were fun to see.   On the shuttle back to the port, we saw a beach that was near the ship.  If there had been more time before all aboard, we might have walked to this beach.  I’m not sure if it was especially scenic but it seemed busy on the Sunday we were there. 

Edited by aqua
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, aqua said:

We were in Bilbao in May.  Our ship (Oceania Sirena) had a shuttle that dropped us in the Ensanche area of Bilbao.  I believe it was about a  20-30 minute drive from the port to the town.  We walked around Bilbao for a while and saw several beautiful churches.  We also walked around the outside of the Guggenheim. The building and surrounding art were fun to see.   On the shuttle back to the port, we saw a beach that was near the ship.  If there had been more time before all aboard, we might have walked to this beach.  I’m not sure if it was especially scenic but it seemed busy on the Sunday we were there. 

Thanks, this is helpful.

We also used our ship's shuttle which dropped us off next to the old town (is that Ensanche?)where you could wander as much or as little as you wanted to.  You could taxi from there to the Guggenheim which sits alongside a riverside walkway and decide to either go inside or look at the outside only.  Then taxi back to she shuttle bus stop.  it is a city so plenty bars, cafes restaurants to rest.

“Last week we just explored Getxo by ourselves, nice flat walk along the promonade in to town past some lovely old mansion houses which had interpretation boards outside explaining their history. The cable car across the bridge is €1 return, you need coins for the machine. Some nice shops and pavement cafes, we sat in one people watching for a while, when the bill came coffees were €1.50 each. We had a great few hours exploring for a grand total of €2.50 each”

copied from another post for my port planner 

Edited by little britain