Luggage at Amsterdam Airport

Johnandbeth

Has anyone that has traveled lately had issues with getting their checked bags at the airport? There are a few articles recently about up to 14,000 bags that have not been picked up at the airport. It appears they are having labor issues at the airport. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Johnandbeth

I just went through Schiphol airport (AMS) last week and it is chaotic. I had a 4+ hour layover and my bag still did not make it onto my flight back to the US. After a long travel day I had to wait in line more than an hour at the airport to report the missing bag and get my case number to track it. 

That was on Monday (July 4th), and as of today I still don't have it back. Initially I was told KLM would fly the bag the very next day and then it could take up to 3 days for delivery.  From following the tracking info with my number, I know the bag wasn't flown back until Thursday (not Tuesday, as I was told) and it was handed over to the courier service for delivery on Friday.  Still waiting....

I heard and saw a lot of frustrated people at the airport in Schiphol. But to be fair, there were a lot of frustrated people in my own home airport as well -- and a mountain of unclaimed luggage.  

Good luck to anyone flying in Europe right now with connecting flights. Seems like that's where the most issues happen. Not that the US airlines are doing a lot better.

Vancouver and Toronto Canada the same lately.  Hours to check in and baggage transfers taking forever.  Son had a 3 hour layover in Dallas connecting to Dublin Ireland.  Guess what?  Bags arrived 2 days later. 

Seems flying is going to be an adventure as airlines cannot hire crews and airports lack staff.   

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

Yes,  we were on the Apex TA in May. Flew out of AMS to SOU to get on a Princess cruise. Was at AMS 4 hours ahead of scheduled flight time. Bags would not go thru the automated KLM check in system. Worked with agent she worked for 5 minutes trying to get bags thru the system, eventually the machine accepted and bags never arrived in Southampton. We left on Princess cruise no bags, Bags did show up four days later in Rotterdam. Princess was great gave us toiletries and discount on some clothing in their shop. We quickly bought a few things in Southampton on way to ship. Still waiting for a claim for items we purchased with KLM. Your mileage may vary, although not a lot of fun in AMS long lines and bags not routed. Can happen to anyone normally would bring at least one carry on, although when gone for a month rolled the dice and checked the bags, this time, we lost. 

Have been thru AMS at least 25 times, first baggage issue there. 

Mirage

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 2

Everyone needs to always bring a few toiletries, ALL things medical, all documents and a couple changes of underwear and a top or two with them on board.  Cheap insurance to bring a carryon on your plane.

Every cruise someone on board arrives with no luggage - their meds and important papers inside enjoying travelling to other airports

• Like 1

DW and friend flew from Newark to AMS on 7/1 ahead of a Viking river cruise.  After two hour search UAL admitted friend's bag had been left behind at EWR but promised to expedite it directly to boat.  That was 10 days ago and still no sign of bag.  Last heard it was in Cologne.  Friend has $1k baggage delay coverage in her travel insurance ($3k if ultimately lost) plus whatever UAL and her credit card provide.  It's aggravating but at least she'll come home from Europe with a new wardrobe.