Pride of America sailings during Humpback season January to March

1 minute ago, teamwanderer said:

Thank you.  This was very helpful.  We had hoped to go to Lahaina for an evening Luau for our 40th anniversary but it looks as though we should scratch the Luau.

I'm certain there are luau's on the east side. Check for them in Wailea. I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer (and maybe I'm just too cautious, but I've been stuck in Pali traffic and it literally is a stand still and nothing I would want to risk when catching a cruise ship departure is necessary). For what it's worth,  I would make the exact same recommendation to my family members if they were only in Maui for a day. Stick to the east side 🙂 

I appreciate the information and will probably try and find places to go by rental car on the East Side.  Was wondering any opinion on Mama's Fish House for dinner?   Our ship will be at Port Kahului from Dec 4th to Dec 5th (sailing at 6pm on 12/05) Would driving from the Port to Makena Beach on the 5th be dicey also?

17 hours ago, teamwanderer said:

I appreciate the information and will probably try and find places to go by rental car on the East Side.  Was wondering any opinion on Mama's Fish House for dinner?   Our ship will be at Port Kahului from Dec 4th to Dec 5th (sailing at 6pm on 12/05) Would driving from the Port to Makena Beach on the 5th be dicey also?

Most people LOVE Mama's fish house. It's undoubtably one of the most sought after restaurants on the island. Getting reservations there is going to be very challenging (they book up 6 months in advance). With that said, I thought that while the setting was lovely and the food was generally very good, the prices were extremely high what we received. However; it is very common for people to choose Mama's for a monumental celebration. From there you can swing into Hook'ipa Beach (practically next door) to watch the turtles, kite boarders, and surfers. 

I didn't realize you were on an overnight itinerary. With that, I would not hesitate to recommend heading to the west side on day one. Doing your Luau on the 4th is totally fine. If you get caught in traffic it's not going to be a huge factor. Just stay on the East side for day 2. Driving anywhere on the East side on day 2 will be safe from any possible Pali issues. 

Hope this helps 🙂

On 9/14/2022 at 9:26 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Most people LOVE Mama's fish house. It's undoubtably one of the most sought after restaurants on the island. Getting reservations there is going to be very challenging (they book up 6 months in advance). With that said, I thought that while the setting was lovely and the food was generally very good, the prices were extremely high what we received. However; it is very common for people to choose Mama's for a monumental celebration. From there you can swing into Hook'ipa Beach (practically next door) to watch the turtles, kite boarders, and surfers. 

I didn't realize you were on an overnight itinerary. With that, I would not hesitate to recommend heading to the west side on day one. Doing your Luau on the 4th is totally fine. If you get caught in traffic it's not going to be a huge factor. Just stay on the East side for day 2. Driving anywhere on the East side on day 2 will be safe from any possible Pali issues. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Thank you Bermuda Bound very helpful.  Making the assumption if going to Luau on West side it would still be best to take Hwy 30, Honoapi'ilani Hwy from Cruise Port - Kahului Harbor.  Hope you don't mind if I ask for further opinion of the following Day 1 and Day 2 tentative routes.

Day One:  Take Hwy 30, Honoapi'ilani Hwy from Cruise Port - Kahului Harbor to Front Street, Lahaina to North on Hwy 30, Honoapi’ilani Hwy to North on Lower Honoapi’ilani Rd to Office Rd to back on Hwy 30, Honoapi’ilani Hwy to Honolau Bay.  I’m guessing we should not try to continue on to Nakele Blowhole.  From Honolau Bay we would turn around and go back to Front Street for Dinner and then head back to the Port via Hwy 30, Honoapi'ilani Hwy.

Day Two:  (Makena Beach):  We’d like to drive to Makena Beach is this possible without taking Rt 31 .  Pi'ilani Highway.  I’ve seen the videos of the Rt 31 Pi'ilani Highway single lane and rough roads.

· 

On 9/14/2022 at 9:26 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi Shipof6Fools.  In reference to Maui Rental Car.  I will be trying for the 1st time to rent a car via https://turo.com/us/.    This a a non traditional car rental site.  Persons offering their own vehicles for rent. Note "Bermuda Bound" previous mention that some rental car company and possibly Turo will not want you to take certain roads/routes in Maui and also may not insure you if you do. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, Shipof6Fools said:

I was not aware you could rent a car for less than a day (rent one day, return the next).  Can you do this at Enterprise, Alamo, etc?  Or is it just mom and pop rental car places?

We have a rental from Alamo booked from 8:30 am - 8:30 pm in Maui for one day in January.   I know we could have parked overnight at the airport but we really just wanted the rental for the day so that's what we're doing.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

5 hours ago, teamwanderer said:

Thank you Bermuda Bound very helpful.  Making the assumption if going to Luau on West side it would still be best to take Hwy 30, Honoapi'ilani Hwy from Cruise Port - Kahului Harbor.  Hope you don't mind if I ask for further opinion of the following Day 1 and Day 2 tentative routes.

Day One:  Take Hwy 30, Honoapi'ilani Hwy from Cruise Port - Kahului Harbor to Front Street, Lahaina to North on Hwy 30, Honoapi’ilani Hwy to North on Lower Honoapi’ilani Rd to Office Rd to back on Hwy 30, Honoapi’ilani Hwy to Honolau Bay.  I’m guessing we should not try to continue on to Nakele Blowhole.  From Honolau Bay we would turn around and go back to Front Street for Dinner and then head back to the Port via Hwy 30, Honoapi'ilani Hwy.

Day Two:  (Makena Beach):  We’d like to drive to Makena Beach is this possible without taking Rt 31 .  Pi'ilani Highway.  I’ve seen the videos of the Rt 31 Pi'ilani Highway single lane and rough roads.

· 

I don't mind at all. Happy to help.

Day 1 plans look lovely: You can absolutely continue on Honoapi'ilani (Pali) Hwy all the way to Nakalele Blowhole with no issues. In fact, you can drive all the way to the olivine pools before you need to turn around and reverse. I would recommend going to at least nakalele blowhole. You may not want to climb all the way down to the blowhole (if you do, make sure you are wearing proper shoes), but the view from the top of Nakalele is lovely. I really like the stretch of hwy between Office Road and Nakalele Blowhole. I think it's every bit as pretty as Road to Hana but it's different (cliff views vs jungle views). 

Day 2: There are no real issues with Hwy 31 from Kahalui to Makena Beach other than traffic. It does get tight once you pass all the resorts in Wailea but it's totally drivable all the way to Makena. It gets a bit sketchy driving all the way to the lava field, but it doesn't sound like you are going that far.  I do want to warn you about Makena Beach. It can be very dangerous with the shore break. All the beaches down there can be (big beach is nick named break-neck beach :().  Just use best judgement and always respect ocean in Maui, it's different than the coast. Makena a lovely beach to spend the day.

It sounds to me like you have a very solid plan! It's not too packed where you will be afraid to stop for photos and feel the energy of the islands. It's truly paradise.

Wish you all the best 🙂

Lahaina is only a half hour drive from Paia.  Thats where a couple of the best Luaus are.   Old Lahaina Luau is one of the most famous.  A bit of a formal feel to it but everything is Hawaiian shirts and sandals wherever you go.   There used to be a coffee shop called Anthony’s in Paia where you could get a couple pounds of pure Kona (Extra Fancy, the specific trade designation) for 30 bucks.   I dont know if it’s still there or not.  The Road to Hana is hair raising in a rental car but you’ll never regret it for the view.   And a 5 minute drive into Io Valley is a very romantic trip even if its pouring rain in the mountains.   

15 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Lahaina is only a half hour drive from Paia.  Thats where a couple of the best Luaus are.   Old Lahaina Luau is one of the most famous.  A bit of a formal feel to it but everything is Hawaiian shirts and sandals wherever you go.   There used to be a coffee shop called Anthony’s in Paia where you could get a couple pounds of pure Kona (Extra Fancy, the specific trade designation) for 30 bucks.   I dont know if it’s still there or not.  The Road to Hana is hair raising in a rental car but you’ll never regret it for the view.   And a 5 minute drive into Io Valley is a very romantic trip even if its pouring rain in the mountains.   

I've never made if from Paia to Lahaina in 30 minutes. More like 45 IF traffic isn't an issue.

Old Lahaina Luau is the most popular on Maui. I've heard reservations are filling 6 months in advance now.

You might be able to get one pound of pure Kona for $30 lol

Iao Valley is closed for Rock repair and won't reopen until the end of January. Assuming no island delays in the reopening timeline; I do agree it's a lovely way to spend a few hours. 

On 9/19/2022 at 5:50 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't mind at all. Happy to help.

Day 1 plans look lovely: You can absolutely continue on Honoapi'ilani (Pali) Hwy all the way to Nakalele Blowhole with no issues. In fact, you can drive all the way to the olivine pools before you need to turn around and reverse. I would recommend going to at least nakalele blowhole. You may not want to climb all the way down to the blowhole (if you do, make sure you are wearing proper shoes), but the view from the top of Nakalele is lovely. I really like the stretch of hwy between Office Road and Nakalele Blowhole. I think it's every bit as pretty as Road to Hana but it's different (cliff views vs jungle views). 

Day 2: There are no real issues with Hwy 31 from Kahalui to Makena Beach other than traffic. It does get tight once you pass all the resorts in Wailea but it's totally drivable all the way to Makena. It gets a bit sketchy driving all the way to the lava field, but it doesn't sound like you are going that far.  I do want to warn you about Makena Beach. It can be very dangerous with the shore break. All the beaches down there can be (big beach is nick named break-neck beach :().  Just use best judgement and always respect ocean in Maui, it's different than the coast. Makena a lovely beach to spend the day.

It sounds to me like you have a very solid plan! It's not too packed where you will be afraid to stop for photos and feel the energy of the islands. It's truly paradise.

Wish you all the best 🙂

Thank you Bermuda Bound. You've helped more then you know