ArriveCanada

pistnbroke

@martincath, this is a WEALTH of information - and a lot I would never have thought of, such as no need to go through CBP pre-clearance in Vancouver. 

About ArriveCan for the first ship's boarding, that was my error; I had forgotten about exactly when it gets filled out, so thanks for the reminder (needs to be within 72 hours of first boarding, not of first arrival in Canada).  I don't see how Royal Caribbean can demand ArriveCan to be filled out when we are moving from a Canadian port to another (Van to Vic), but either they will let us know in advance, or we will do it on the pier on general principal.

Great tips about not booking early-departing shorex for Astoria and  SF.  We've been to Astoria several times via cruise ship, and were planning on just a city stroll if weather suited.  As for SF, it's an overnight stop; we'll arrange any must-do excursions/outings for the second day.  Will prepare to be flexible and patient.

Your testing suggestions are most insightful.  I can see you really know your stuff about the Vancouver cruise port situation!  We can't be the only folks who have done this sort of S2S transfer, but it's our first time.  I hope pier personnel are as helpful as you have been.  We so appreciate your detailed thoughts on this matter - thank you!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuilterGirl said:

@martincath, this is a WEALTH of information - and a lot I would never have thought of, such as no need to go through CBP pre-clearance in Vancouver.

... We so appreciate your detailed thoughts on this matter - thank you!!

You're welcome - this is why they pay me the big bucks! 😉

We are arriving by air on 8-18-22 and leaving on HAL on 8-20-22. It is my understanding I have to do 2 ArrivCan check in's. ! for the air arrival and the 2nd for the cruise, we won't be doing our PCR testing until 24 hours prior to boarding the ship as we will be flying off and on all day on Thursday.  Can anyone make sure this is correct. I also have to do Verifly!

april

1 hour ago, april_4_us said:

We are arriving by air on 8-18-22 and leaving on HAL on 8-20-22. It is my understanding I have to do 2 ArrivCan check in's. ! for the air arrival and the 2nd for the cruise, we won't be doing our PCR testing until 24 hours prior to boarding the ship as we will be flying off and on all day on Thursday.  Can anyone make sure this is correct. I also have to do Verifly!

april

You didn't specify it, but I assume your ship sails from Vancouver because you mention the need for 2 ArriveCANs. If so, yes, you have to do a second ArriveCAN for the cruise :

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.

If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

You mention that you'll be doing a PCR test 24 hours prior to boarding the ship. Are you certain you'll get the results back in time ? Wouldn't it be preferable to do a proctored antigen test that will provide you with immediate results ? 

Edited by njhorseman

23 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You didn't specify it, but I assume your ship sails from Vancouver because you mention the need for 2 ArriveCANs. If so, yes, you have to do a second ArriveCAN for the cruise :

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.

If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

You mention that you'll be doing a PCR test 24 hours prior to boarding the ship. Are you certain you'll get the results back in time ? Wouldn't it be preferable to do a proctored antigen test that will provide you with immediate results ? 

we will be doing a proctored test on the 19th as our flight doesnt arrive until 20:41 and thats if there are no delays or cancellations. Thanks for the clarification on the ArrivCaN

Big thank you to everyone for the excellent advice in this thread.  Could someone please confirm that my understanding of what needs to be done for our cruise is correct?  We depart Vancouver on 9/16 for an 8-night repositioning cruise to LA aboard the Celebrity Solstice, including a stop in Victoria on 9/17.  We arrive in Vancouver via plane from the US on 9/14.  We will complete ArriveCAN on 9/13, listing our Vancouver hotel as our destination address (I've downloaded the app and filled in everything I can so far.)  We will do the OnPoint proctored Rapid Antigen Covid test on the morning of 9/14 before we fly out of LAX, and will use that for boarding the ship in Vancouver on 9/16.    We will complete a 2nd ArriveCAN on 9/15 for boarding the ship.  

Does it sound like all of the bases are covered with this plan?  Thanks so much for any feedback!

On 8/18/2022 at 10:04 AM, Z-Bird said:

...We depart Vancouver on 9/16 for an 8-night repositioning cruise to LA aboard the Celebrity Solstice, including a stop in Victoria on 9/17.  We arrive in Vancouver via plane from the US on 9/14.  ... We will complete a 2nd ArriveCAN on 9/15 for boarding the ship. 

Since the first part of the cruise is in Canadian waters, Van then Vic next day, then leaves Canada without returning, no need for the second ArriveCAN (at least, not under official government rules! There have been enough reports of folks being asked for ArriveCAN entries for northbound AK trips that you might still get asked to show a QR code before boarding by the cruiseline, perhaps as a way fo verifying your Vaxx status, but if so you can try just displaying your flight entry code...)

• Thanks 1

Your reporter on the ground in Vancouver! We did both our proctored Covid test and ArrivCan yesterday in Seattle.  In filling out our form, we used the 'land arrival' section (as we crossed the border on a bus) and referenced Canada Place as the address. At the border, the Customs Rep. asked us when we sail (tomorrow) and what hotel we were staying at overnight. After then clarifying that we wouldn't be returning to Canada after embarking, he wished us a great trip and dismissed us. Tomorrow we plan to use that same CR code at the dock in addition to our then 2 day old negative test. I'll advise how embarking goes. Not anticipating any issues.

• Like 1

New update for you guys. On our one way Northbound Princess Glaciers we ARE required to do a second ArrivCan 'trip'. Our first was 'used up' to cross the border yesterday on the bus. We thought it might carry over but Nope, our QR from yesterday had disappeared from our App this morning.  DW just finished up setting up a new one just now here at the hotel as we kill time. Really NP.

Quick takeaway:

1) Northbound ships that aren't doing a RT DO still require an ArrivCan (at least Princess)

2) A fresh one is required if you crossed the border yesterday or the day before. 

3)  When doing the original land (in our case) trip, use the overnight hotel as your local destination. We tried to get cute and use Canada Place and double dip. No problem for the actual crossing and birder patrol interaction but kind of a 'lie'. And seeing as you need to do a new one in the morning....

Just trying to pay it forward guys. I have no idea how flying in day bf works but I bet it's the same.