So little time, what to choose?

Norwaylady

Hello

We are going on a cruise to Hawaii on X. We have never been on Hawaii before. 

Normally I have everything under control and all things are planned and ready far in advance. But due to the situation, I have waited and waited. (so tired of disappointment of cld)

But here we are, so close to sailing and things look far more promising😅

Excursions offers by X is a bit limited. And informations provided about the tours are very limited. So we booked tours that seemed correct for our taste and not sold out. 

Normally we always do privat tours. But I find it very hard to find options. 

Our roll call are quiet compared to earlier cruises. 

We have booked by X:

-Rainforest Waterfall Hike, Lahaina, Maui. (First day of overnight stay)

We are very 🧐 if its better to do Road to Hana? We are a bit concerned to sit in a car all day. And what to do on day 2 I Maui. Again, very limited options by X.

-Waterfalls Spectacular, Hilo

-Captain Zodiac Raft, Dolphin and Snorkel Adventure, Kailua Kona

In Honolulu we will stay a few days after the cruise. We are booked at Hilton Waikiki Resort Ails-tower.

I have contacted 2 companies for privat tours, so I'm waiting for tour recommendations for a full day+half day.

How long time do we need for Pearl Harbour? Book a tour or go by our self?

We will fly to Kauai for 4.nights and then back to Honolulu. Tour recommendations are very welcome. 

If we want to fly helicopter, were is the best place to do this? 

Is dinner+show a must in Hawaii? 

Best rgds

6 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Rainforest Waterfall Hike, Lahaina, Maui. (First day of overnight stay)

We are very 🧐 if its better to do Road to Hana? We are a bit concerned to sit in a car all day. And what to do on day 2 I Maui. Again, very limited options by X.

Maui is very easy to do on your own. There are taxis and Ubers and your overnight stay allows you to explore a lot more than you would on a day long port visit. 

The Hana Road isn't for everyone but its a great way to see how diverse Maui is. It will take most of the day so that is the main thing to consider. If you do it I highly recommend renting your own car and not doing a tour-- this will allow you to stop places and break up the drive. There is a great app called Gypsy Guide that essentially is your mile by mile tour guide. 

On one of the other days just go to the beach-- would highly recommend Kaanapali as it has a ton of facilities, restaurants, and bars and the beach is quite nice. 

We are booked at Hilton Waikiki Resort Ails-tower.

I have contacted 2 companies for privat tours, so I'm waiting for tour recommendations for a full day+half day.

How long time do we need for Pearl Harbour? Book a tour or go by our self?

Again, you really don't need a tour guide for Honolulu, especially Pearl Harbor. It's very easy to do on your own and a very short Uber ride from your hotel. Just make sure to book your tickets to the USS Arizona ahead of time as walk up tickets are not always available. 

Honolulu, like any bustling medium sized city, is easy to get around and don't make the mistake of renting a car there unless you plan on driving outside of town. Parking in the city is very expensive and the roads are very congested. 

If we want to fly helicopter, were is the best place to do this?

I'm a big fan of an aerial tour of the island of Molokai-- the cliffs are spectacular. This can be done from Maui. I'm much more of a fan of fixed wing aircraft from a safety standpoint but there are plenty of helicopter options there. Also the helo tours of Kauai are spectacular. 

7 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Is dinner+show a must in Hawaii? 

It's not a must but first time visitors enjoy the luaus. Some are better than others-- some are more authentic than others. There are a ton of options in Maui-- that could be a good way to use your night of the overnight (although there are some great dining options in Lahaina). There are also a bunch of options in Honolulu so might be a good chance to catch one while you're at the Hilton. 

Fire dancing is not native to Hawaii so if you want to see that make sure you go to a luau that has more of a "South Pacific" theme to it and not one that is more authentically Hawaiian. Drums of the Pacific in Maui is a good example of one of these. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 5:49 AM, Norwaylady said:

We have booked by X:

-Rainforest Waterfall Hike, Lahaina, Maui. (First day of overnight stay)

I just looked up this tour thru Celebrity. I think it's this one for $194 pp? 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/pcp-excursions/lahaina-maui-hawaii-tours/rainforest-waterfall-hike?excursionItemID=100000004097233897

I am 99.5% sure this is a hike to Twin Falls. Entrance to twin falls is free (cost $10 for parking). I would STRONGLY suggest canceling this tour and doing twin falls on your own. Grab a rental car in Kaanapali and hit the road.

Twin falls is located at the very beginning of Road to Hana. SUPER easy drive to Twin falls as the real curves RtH is famous for haven't started yet. Pay your $10 and walk the falls. It is a very easy hike for the vast majority of people. I took my BIL there. He's 72. Did the hike with no problem. You will need to walk across a small stream and the area you can swim in is rocky, so water shoes are helpful. Paying $400 for a couple to do this stroll leaves a lot of money on the table. 

I'd give yourself a good 1.5 hours from Lahania because of traffic issues, but it's almost impossible to get lost. Buy the Shaka or Gypsy App ($15) and the guides will take you right there. You can go a bit farther on the RtH and turn around at Ke'Anae if you don't want to do the whole drive. On the way back you can stop at Hook'Ipa Beach for guaranteed turtle sightings and watch the surfers. You can also then head up straight up Mt. Haleakala for the sunset. It's a surreal experience. 

It sounds like you like to hike. We hike all over Maui. You will have a car so on day 2 you can head to Kapalua area and do the Kapalua Coastal trail (it's a super easy stroll) and then snorkel or beach it, or drive a bit farther and do the short rain forest hike to Honolua bay. 

Some pictures off my phone which don't do Maui justice:

Twin Falls. There are three falls. This is the upper falls most people swim in:

nhrLwWtTbf8rru9K2kYwFwAlJHzJmkn9M_IqPoPEHJqy0LZfR2sjhFMo_5aM8eO5XRsx4UIBF86I8VD7h5_J9-YiBnmLL3yRPOLMRaq6TBhCyA0lZ4YF0FVtZl9M7tYq92Oxp0lxVBraDSTHH6-aun8UZ25H0iNH1GajB2XqSf7dnTmZVW2uCTQLE7oRAmCdZ8o1cji-70qMoYQOK5u3yelebmR4HJDPLDsmnho0pXqfVkip0Uss2C5snQ7eP59ZEUbSZvP3_st7VpUmwaEDHBRx4T8JDGlbkhgrlpzqes83YWdcWbheMFSqoqxe3WVyZmeEs5NBITVXxbSQdsGFOJHueSd_42yabllp1wnEsL6AsXltn3sA5uSCO9KfqSj0_reyn21-CK1oda6psX16lyL-t42PbcmBcLdonCnDncb-sGwTCnqJvpAMctj7sm9qWmu91uWJRDyKjtvoMe983fcEqKXJ_Kydmz7aHj_M3CJwEeLNTeED4Lmj6otVBCShiXz96fCV5HxkjLvbsEDXPuyKRcOSQ8XlZS5Q39xcKqr5uG3mGC_wrypnsrt0AKebHvmjwIYUs-2dSORMrURAQUF2GFaDEM1zyjFqYI_2LNpquEFtQTcdmLsTvRbWojiIM3QigLZJgp119IFuJJbN5IB_djkZ0Zwo_1cs19F4mqoD7i0IaCAdfh88l5iDhXwv9gw3qCDKxJ1_eohBrkLZ7mE6z4FwyuvE6MZ-kBvLCe2_1auxPBTubaaGy3k=w654-h872-no?authuser=0

This is the most difficult part of the trail (not difficult at all):

image.png.03f204022dff3376edc4bbf3473292d1.png

Ke'Anae Peninsula

image.thumb.png.173a91db0f306d738618546be8289ebf.png

Hook'Ipa Beach

image.thumb.png.6a6a23a12f5b31edf25a39a5f9ad2df5.png

Sunset above the clouds on Mt. Hale'akela:

image.thumb.png.53dbf54fa42949dc480c481dea62cf0f.png

Day 2: 

Honolua Bay

image.thumb.png.b9d165ec09782d72be170654f9280d58.png

Kapalua Coastal Trail

image.thumb.png.7e93a4e5c2adc4ab39292ecee9d4bb80.png

More Kapalua Coastal Trail:

image.thumb.png.486a370207738e9a1a56e6be4c995318.png

What I have shown you above can EASILY be done with two days in Maui and a much better use of your money (as opposed to spending $400 just on one tour).  Day one head to Twin Falls, maybe go to Ke'Anea if you feel like driving some of RTH (this will be enough of the RtH to give you a very good idea of what it offers), a quick stop to see turtles at Hook'Ipa, then to the top of Haleakala for a Surreal Sunset, seriously a breath taking experience (bring warm cloths). 

Day 2: Wake up and head to Kapalua and Honolua Bay. Spend a 3-4 hours up there. Drop the car back off in Kaanapali and then back on the ship. These would be two full days but Maui is worth it in my opinion. If you wantd to skip Kapalua and Honolua, you can take the car back to Kaanapali and ask them to take you to Whalers Village for the day to beach it (plenty of shops and restaurants there). 

Hope this helps you explore a bit more of what Maui has to offer. Everything I have listed is very free besides parking and the National Park entrance. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I assume this is a one way from Vancouver BC? Does it look something like this?

Hilo, Hawaii, HI 8:00am 6:00pm
  Kona, Hawaii, HI 8:00am 6:00pm
  Lahaina, Maui, HI 8:00am  
  Lahaina, Maui, HI   5:00pm
  Honolulu, Oahu, HI 7:00am  
  Honolulu, Oahu, HI Disembark

If you have two days on Hawaii Island (the Big Island), the first day in Hilo I'd do a tour to Volcano National Park. In Kona, I might do a Zodiac tour, or a coffee plantation tour. Be very cautious of ANYONE offering a "dolphin" tour on Hawaii Island. It is an incredibly contentious issue and U.S. federal laws were re-written and face vigorous enforcement to stop harassment of the Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin.

I am NOT a fan of the road to Hana, but if someone is on island for two weeks, sure go ahead and do it, but if you are only on island less than two days, I would not spend a whole day on the RTH and I'd never do RTH as a tour, I'd only drive it myself.

Other than that, Lahaina is a charming town to walk around it and snorkeling at Black Rock Ka'anapali is fun as is cliff diving off Black Rock.

As to Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, personally I'd never do a tour to PH, I'd always do it on my own. BUT you do want to get tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial in advance. They go on sale 8 weeks before the day you want to go. Tickets are free, but there is a $1 service fee for ordering online. Recreation.gov is the official site

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

How long to spend at Pearl Harbor is up to you. 2 hours is probably the minimum to see the USS Arizona Memorial, but if you do every ship and museum, it can be a full day.

Kauai is the only island where I would do a helicopter tour, but I prefer seeing the Na Pali Coast from a catamaran tour. Where are you staying on Kauai? The Na Pali Coast and Waimea Canyon are the two "can't miss" attractions to me.

If by "dinner and a show" you mean a luau, it isn't "essential", but probably a nice thing to do while you are there. On Oahu Experience Nutridge and Toa Luau are the two most popular right now.

On Oahu you are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, not to be confused with the Hilton Waikiki Beach. From the HHV walk down to Halekulani and their House Without A Key for evening cocktails and the Hawaiian music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I assume this is a one way from Vancouver BC? Does it look something like this?

Hilo, Hawaii, HI 8:00am 6:00pm
  Kona, Hawaii, HI 8:00am 6:00pm
  Lahaina, Maui, HI 8:00am  
  Lahaina, Maui, HI   5:00pm
  Honolulu, Oahu, HI 7:00am  
  Honolulu, Oahu, HI Disembark

Thank you!

This is the itinerary we have on X.

In Kauai, we stay at Hilton Garden Inn. 

We have understood that the way to se the na pali coast is by the ocean/boat. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just looked up this tour thru Celebrity. I think it's this one for $194 pp? 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/pcp-excursions/lahaina-maui-hawaii-tours/rainforest-waterfall-hike?excursionItemID=100000004097233897

I am 99.5% sure this is a hike to Twin Falls. Entrance to twin falls is free (cost $10 for parking). I would STRONGLY suggest canceling this tour and doing twin falls on your own. Grab a rental car in Kaanapali and hit the road.

Twin falls is located at the very beginning of Road to Hana. SUPER easy drive to Twin falls as the real curves RtH is famous for haven't started yet. Pay your $10 and walk the falls. It is a very easy hike for the vast majority of people. I took my BIL there. He's 72. Did the hike with no problem. You will need to walk across a small stream and the area you can swim in is rocky, so water shoes are helpful. Paying $400 for a couple to do this stroll leaves a lot of money on the table. 

I'd give yourself a good 1.5 hours from Lahania because of traffic issues, but it's almost impossible to get lost. Buy the Shaka or Gypsy App ($15) and the guides will take you right there. You can go a bit farther on the RtH and turn around at Ke'Anae if you don't want to do the whole drive. On the way back you can stop at Hook'Ipa Beach for guaranteed turtle sightings and watch the surfers. You can also then head up straight up Mt. Haleakala for the sunset. It's a surreal experience. 

It sounds like you like to hike. We hike all over Maui. You will have a car so on day 2 you can head to Kapalua area and do the Kapalua Coastal trail (it's a super easy stroll) and then snorkel or beach it, or drive a bit farther and do the short rain forest hike to Honolua bay. 

Some pictures off my phone which don't do Maui justice:

Twin Falls. There are three falls. This is the upper falls most people swim in:

nhrLwWtTbf8rru9K2kYwFwAlJHzJmkn9M_IqPoPEHJqy0LZfR2sjhFMo_5aM8eO5XRsx4UIBF86I8VD7h5_J9-YiBnmLL3yRPOLMRaq6TBhCyA0lZ4YF0FVtZl9M7tYq92Oxp0lxVBraDSTHH6-aun8UZ25H0iNH1GajB2XqSf7dnTmZVW2uCTQLE7oRAmCdZ8o1cji-70qMoYQOK5u3yelebmR4HJDPLDsmnho0pXqfVkip0Uss2C5snQ7eP59ZEUbSZvP3_st7VpUmwaEDHBRx4T8JDGlbkhgrlpzqes83YWdcWbheMFSqoqxe3WVyZmeEs5NBITVXxbSQdsGFOJHueSd_42yabllp1wnEsL6AsXltn3sA5uSCO9KfqSj0_reyn21-CK1oda6psX16lyL-t42PbcmBcLdonCnDncb-sGwTCnqJvpAMctj7sm9qWmu91uWJRDyKjtvoMe983fcEqKXJ_Kydmz7aHj_M3CJwEeLNTeED4Lmj6otVBCShiXz96fCV5HxkjLvbsEDXPuyKRcOSQ8XlZS5Q39xcKqr5uG3mGC_wrypnsrt0AKebHvmjwIYUs-2dSORMrURAQUF2GFaDEM1zyjFqYI_2LNpquEFtQTcdmLsTvRbWojiIM3QigLZJgp119IFuJJbN5IB_djkZ0Zwo_1cs19F4mqoD7i0IaCAdfh88l5iDhXwv9gw3qCDKxJ1_eohBrkLZ7mE6z4FwyuvE6MZ-kBvLCe2_1auxPBTubaaGy3k=w654-h872-no?authuser=0

This is the most difficult part of the trail (not difficult at all):

image.png.03f204022dff3376edc4bbf3473292d1.png

Ke'Anae Peninsula

image.thumb.png.173a91db0f306d738618546be8289ebf.png

Hook'Ipa Beach

image.thumb.png.6a6a23a12f5b31edf25a39a5f9ad2df5.png

Sunset above the clouds on Mt. Hale'akela:

image.thumb.png.53dbf54fa42949dc480c481dea62cf0f.png

Day 2: 

Honolua Bay

image.thumb.png.b9d165ec09782d72be170654f9280d58.png

Kapalua Coastal Trail

image.thumb.png.7e93a4e5c2adc4ab39292ecee9d4bb80.png

More Kapalua Coastal Trail:

image.thumb.png.486a370207738e9a1a56e6be4c995318.png

What I have shown you above can EASILY be done with two days in Maui and a much better use of your money (as opposed to spending $400 just on one tour).  Day one head to Twin Falls, maybe go to Ke'Anea if you feel like driving some of RTH (this will be enough of the RtH to give you a very good idea of what it offers), a quick stop to see turtles at Hook'Ipa, then to the top of Haleakala for a Surreal Sunset, seriously a breath taking experience (bring warm cloths). 

Day 2: Wake up and head to Kapalua and Honolua Bay. Spend a 3-4 hours up there. Drop the car back off in Kaanapali and then back on the ship. These would be two full days but Maui is worth it in my opinion. If you wantd to skip Kapalua and Honolua, you can take the car back to Kaanapali and ask them to take you to Whalers Village for the day to beach it (plenty of shops and restaurants there). 

Hope this helps you explore a bit more of what Maui has to offer. Everything I have listed is very free besides parking and the National Park entrance. 

Hello, our cruise ship is tendering at Lahaina for 2 days.  We would very much like to have a rental car for 2 days and visit the island. Where would you suggest we park the car overnight in Lahaina?

TIA

• 6 months later...

NorwayLady, did you do the Captain Zodiac excursion in Kona and if so, how did you like it? We're looking at this for our cruise in June, but I'm a little concerned by a few reviews that say the ride is exceptionally rough and "you will feel it the next day". So many reviews are highly positive, though!

On 8/29/2022 at 3:03 PM, kasay58 said:

Hello, our cruise ship is tendering at Lahaina for 2 days.  We would very much like to have a rental car for 2 days and visit the island. Where would you suggest we park the car overnight in Lahaina?

TIA

There is an overnight place off dickenson behind the wharf. Not sure the name, but it should come up in google. Do not leave anything in the car overnight. Actually, make sure not to leave things in you car anywhere, but at trailheads in particular.  Maui has very little violent crime, but does see its fair share of petty crime.
Enjoy