Come and Go in Vancouver after initial check in?

goldie099

Question for anyone who has done an Alaskan cruise recently from Vancouver-we have a very early boarding time, are we able to leave the ship after checking in, of course returning well before sail away time?

Yes, but you have to go through Canadian customs as you get off the ship, and get re-processed via US immigration when getting back on.

Alternatively, why not just ignore the boarding time, and board when you are ready?

Edited by ptmbaa!
  • Like 1

^Yup. You can drop bags then just walk away to do some sightseeing, returning close to sailaway (but not TOO close of course - 2 hours before expected departure is probably more sensible these days with the extra paperwork of Covid tests, ArriveCAN if applicable etc.)

Now, if you're from the right side of Thornhill OP (Vaughan or Markham...?) I could even be persuaded to offer a free tour for an ex-neighbour;-)

Edited by martincath

13 hours ago, martincath said:

^Yup. You can drop bags then just walk away to do some sightseeing, returning close to sailaway (but not TOO close of course - 2 hours before expected departure is probably more sensible these days with the extra paperwork of Covid tests, ArriveCAN if applicable etc.)

Now, if you're from the right side of Thornhill OP (Vaughan or Markham...?) I could even be persuaded to offer a free tour for an ex-neighbour;-)

Thank you so much for the info! Haha! Excellent! I’m from the Vaughan side,  is that good or bad?

Just remember to take your passport with you. One cruise leaving from Vancouver, I checked in, then after dumping my stuff in our cabin, decided to run out on a quick errand. I didn't really think it through, just figured it's like any other port and I'd just need my ship card key to get back onboard. Got stopped at security. Had to make a desperate call to the concierge, who had to track down my cabinmate, get my passport from her, and race it out to customs. Got back on the ship just in time!

Just now, JDinWA said:

Just remember to take your passport with you. One cruise leaving from Vancouver, I checked in, then after dumping my stuff in our cabin, decided to run out on a quick errand. I didn't really think it through, just figured it's like any other port and I'd just need my ship card key to get back onboard. Got stopped at security. Had to make a desperate call to the concierge, who had to track down my cabinmate, get my passport from her, and race it out to customs. Got back on the ship just in time!

Good tip!! We’re actually sitting in the pre-boarding area, been here for over 30 mins already, no one has gotten on the ship yet. I wonder what happened on board on the last sailing that delayed debarkation. 

1 minute ago, goldie099 said:

Good tip!! We’re actually sitting in the pre-boarding area, been here for over 30 mins already, no one has gotten on the ship yet. I wonder what happened on board on the last sailing that delayed debarkation. 

Hope you start boarding at 11:30 or at latest at latest by noon. Canada Place in April on the Koningsdam was 1:30 pm because of Covid cases being disembarked and then a wholesale cleaning throughout the ship. The place was a zoo!

6 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Hope you start boarding at 11:30 or at latest at latest by noon. Canada Place in April on the Koningsdam was 1:30 pm because of Covid cases being disembarked and then a wholesale cleaning throughout the ship. The place was a zoo!

Oh I assume there’s covid cases on EVERY ship. When we arrived shortly after 10, they were still debarking passengers! Unclear if they were covid+, there were lots of groups of people. 

4 hours ago, goldie099 said:

Thank you so much for the info! Haha! Excellent! I’m from the Vaughan side,  is that good or bad?

Booooo! All the good stuff is east of Yonge - Farmer's Market, Golden Star, where I lived 😉

23 minutes ago, goldie099 said:

Didn't even cross my mind that you might have been cruising this soon - hope embarkation has started, and if you do decide to get off and back on again be aware that in addition to passports, you will need to redo ArriveCAN... technically you're under US jurisdiction after Preclearing, so walking off means CBSA will expect to see an ArrCAN entry too as you are now coming back into Canada!!!

13 minutes ago, goldie099 said:

Oh I assume there’s covid cases on EVERY ship. When we arrived shortly after 10, they were still debarking passengers! Unclear if they were covid+, there were lots of groups of people. 

10 am doesn't sound good.  Must be some hold-up. The last disembark time was 9:15 for us.

Which ship?  Would really like to know when boarding starts for you today.

Have a really wonderful cruise!

4 minutes ago, martincath said:

Booooo! All the good stuff is east of Yonge - Farmer's Market, Golden Star, where I lived 😉

Didn't even cross my mind that you might have been cruising this soon - hope embarkation has started, and if you do decide to get off and back on again be aware that in addition to passports, you will need to redo ArriveCAN... technically you're under US jurisdiction after Preclearing, so walking off means CBSA will expect to see an ArrCAN entry too as you are now coming back into Canada!!!

Oh geez, that wouldn't have occurred to me! Thanks for mentioning it. 

Hi all! They started boarding guests around 11:40, no word on what the holdup was! We’re on the Koningsdam. We’ve never sailed HAL before but first impressions are that it’s great! Seem to be LOTS of kids onboard, more than I expected (knowing it’s summer vacation and all). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goldie099 said:

Hi all! They started boarding guests around 11:40, no word on what the holdup was! We’re on the Koningsdam. We’ve never sailed HAL before but first impressions are that it’s great! Seem to be LOTS of kids onboard, more than I expected (knowing it’s summer vacation and all). 

Thanks for the info.  Glad you are find HAL great as a first impression and hope that continues.