Port in NOLA

Does anyone else enjoy cruising down the Mississippi to get the the Gulf as much as I do?  We like to sit on the balcony or pool deck and watch the river traffic after leaving NOLA.  Gonna get to do that again in January!!:classic_laugh:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, EffortlessVoyages said:

It docks at the Julia Street Terminal.  All of the terminals at the Port of NO are all in a line right downtown; it would be really hard not to go to to the right place.

The Uber took us to the empty Carnival terminal instead of Royal Caribbean's. She hopped out to get the bags. 

I hopped out to tell her that there is no one here. There is no ship, no people, just the river going by. And I pointed down the street to show her where the activity was. :classic_smile: It was quickly resolved. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, foxgoodrich said:

Does anyone else enjoy cruising down the Mississippi to get the the Gulf as much as I do?  We like to sit on the balcony or pool deck and watch the river traffic after leaving NOLA.  Gonna get to do that again in January!!:classic_laugh:

It is very cool and quite a navigational feat. Most people don't realize that the New Orleans is not on the ocean.   It is 8 hours up the Mississippi River. 

• Like 2

Our last cruise out of NOLA was Feb. 2020 on Majesty. There was a storm a couple of nights before we returned, and we didn't dock until 1 PM. (It stunk for all the people waiting to board) That was really awesome! Getting to cruise up the Mississippi River in the daytime and see all the barges and things on the riverbanks. :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, foxgoodrich said:

It's one of the best things about cruising from NOLA.  Especially when you pass an equally large ship coming in the other direction and the ships seem like they are so close.  Very cool experience.

• Like 2

We where on a B2B a few years back from NOLA. We where so fortunate to have an aft balcony for both cruises.  It was so peaceful and relaxing sitting on the balcony and seeing all the twists and turns that you make while heading out to the gulf. The other boats and barges are so close to you as you go down the river.  A very good memory of that particular cruise.

10 hours ago, foxgoodrich said:

From the looks of it there are a number of cruisers that enjoy the trip down the river and you can add me to that list.  The trip up the river is great as well, the down side of the trip up is the end of the cruise is too near!  Enjoyed the trip a number of times and never get tired of it.  Besides you can't beat a sailaway that lasts 8 hours!

50 minutes ago, westwood65 said:

We where on a B2B a few years back from NOLA. We where so fortunate to have an aft balcony for both cruises.  It was so peaceful and relaxing sitting on the balcony and seeing all the twists and turns that you make while heading out to the gulf. The other boats and barges are so close to you as you go down the river.  A very good memory of that particular cruise.

We are excited to have an aft balcony on Radiance in January.  The river is so interesting, the variety of river traffic is fascinating, and we've had fun waving to people...lots of folks on smaller boats, occasionally sailors on a bigger vessel, and (most interesting!) people driving on a road next to the river!   A 7-8 hour sailaway down the Mississippi is just unique!  

In our past experience with port side balconies, there are 3 different river pilots who board to assist with the river navigation on the way to the Gulf.  One is aboard when you leave NOLA.  Then a couple of hours down the river, a pilot boat comes up, the original guy gets off and the next pilot gets on.  According to my recollection of what  an officer told us on a bridge tour we had once on a cruise out of NOLA,  the Mississippi is always changing, the navigation can be challenging, and apparently each of the pilots is an expert on one particular stretch of the river.   Since we'll be in an aft balcony in January, we won't be able to see the pilot boat coming along the side of the ship to make the transfer and the pilots coming and going.....but....it's AFT on Radiance with a great view of the river!!!!!   Woo Hoo!   :classic_biggrin:  

Edited by foxgoodrich
grammar
  • Like 1

Add us to the list of folks that love sailing down and up the Mississippi River.  Have sailed out of New orleans many times in the past.  We were thrilled when RC came back to sailing from there.  We will be on Starboard side balconies for our 3B starting in October.  Soooo excited.