Drinking Straws

What was that?

4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

My "fact" is that I too have a tremor, due partly to my 5 heart meds (pacemaker & whatnot) and partly due to 2 other medical conditions. (Anyone remember the wonderful Swedish film My Life as a Dog--the hero's inability to drink a glass of milk without throwing it in his own face? It's like that.) A straw greatly alleviates the drinking-glass awkwardness...

I give them out to my friends who have, among other conditions, Parkinson's and essential tremor. We are so very glad to have better solutions than the formerly ubiquitous, polluting and wasteful--and now pretty much extinct--plastic straws.

As to everyone getting a straw in the US, that has not been the case for a number of years now. You have to ask, and any available straws are paper or another ecologically respons[i]ble option.

That being said, I cannot speak to the situation in Asia nor the Mideast--unless you want to count Turkey (usually considered European). There were no straws in sight in Istanbul or 3 other cities, paper or otherwise. So glad I had my metal ones! I also have a bunch of glass straws, both straight and bent... It's good to have these opportunities to share our experiences with one another. Cheers!

Cheers!

We have at home sugar straws, but they change the taste of your drink, and paper straws are just disgusting indeed. 
I really do not mean any offence, we Europeans are more direct in our writing tone.

I travel the World for a living, and it is disconcerting to see the massive amount of plastic garbage everywhere, also on deserted islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean ( spent 5 hours cleaning a beach off the coast of Indonesia recently, instead of relaxing like the others). Always included in the pile of junk are straws, which sea creatures try to eat, and consecutively die from doing so...

wishing you all the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I do wish HAL would provide metal straws that they could wash and re-use.  My daughters enjoy HAL smoothies, but they are nearly impossible to drink with the paper straws.  Lesson learned: next cruise we'll bring some of our own re-usable ones.

3 hours ago, iceman93 said:

I do wish HAL would provide metal straws that they could wash and re-use.  My daughters enjoy HAL smoothies, but they are nearly impossible to drink with the paper straws.  Lesson learned: next cruise we'll bring some of our own re-usable ones.

Too many would disappear either in the trash or in passenger’s pockets. Now if you made them pretty, charged a couple of bucks, and provided a discount on future drinks, I’d be happy to buy one!

• Like 3