Using an Apple watch on Oasis of the Seas

I just got the apple watch 7 without cellular and I was wondering how it will work if my iPhone is on airplane mode on the cruise. Will it change time zones? Does it stay hooked up to my iPhone? If I use the ships voom with my phone will the watch work like it does with my cell plan at home?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, smokeykat said:

If I use the ships voom with my phone will the watch work like it does with my cell plan at home?

You can try it at home like you were on the ship - put phone in plane mode and turn on Wi-Fi. 

This brings up a good point.  I know the OP said her watch does not have cellular capabilities, but for those who do, you probably want to shut that off while on the ship to avoid potential roaming charges.  

An Apple watch on a ship will leverage the associated iPhone for it's connectivity.  If you have a paid Voom internet plan and your phone is logged into Voom the watch will work much like at home.  If you don't have a paid Voom internet plan your watch will not be much more than a watch while also notifying any calendar or reminder events your phone has programmed.  

12 minutes ago, rudeney said:

This brings up a good point.  I know the OP said her watch does not have cellular capabilities, but for those who do, you probably want to shut that off while on the ship to avoid potential roaming charges.  

Not an issue.  When I had a cellular watch the cellular didn't support roaming international.  It was a domestic add on only so even if the watch wasn't in airplane mode it couldn't roam.  

I since replaced it with a non-cellular watch because there was very little benefit having a cellular watch for my needs.  It wasn't worth $10 a month for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not an issue.  When I had a cellular watch the cellular didn't support roaming international.  It was a domestic add on only so even if the watch wasn't in airplane mode it couldn't roam.  

I since replaced it with a non-cellular watch because there was very little benefit having a cellular watch for my needs.  It wasn't worth $10 a month for me.

I have a Google Wear OS watch with cellular, but like you, I found no value in paying $10 (actually closer to $15 with fees and taxes and fees) just so it would work when it wasn't near my phone (or not on a wifi network).  I I bought the watch outright - not on installments - so I kept it.  I just dropped the service plan and turned off mobile data.  i just checked and it does have an option for data roaming (which is off with mobile data off), so it may still worth checking for watch users.  I'd hate to incur a bunch of data roaming charges because I walked out of without either the watch or phone so that their Bluetooth signal is out of range and the watch starts using mobile data. 

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

It is not  an issue as you say but but there is an exception as far as international roaming. Watch series 5 or later will call local emergency services. No charges though if your watch calls Emergency services and you don't have to be signed up with domestic plan. You only have to have a GPS + Cellular Apple Watch.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeykat said:

I just got the apple watch 7 without cellular and I was wondering how it will work if my iPhone is on airplane mode on the cruise. Will it change time zones? Does it stay hooked up to my iPhone? If I use the ships voom with my phone will the watch work like it does with my cell plan at home?

Thanks!

I turn off automatic time zone changes when traveling for several reasons. When flying I want the time on my watch to be the time it is when arriving if it is a long flight. So I turn off automatic so the watch mirrors the iPhone which I also have automaic turned off and st the watch to the local arrival time. On a cruise ship in Airplane mode the WiFi might come up with the wrong time. Also on some itineraries ship time is not the same as local time.  So it has worked out better to change the times manually on cruise ships. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1