Dutch to English Translation

Hello…I bought a quilt kit in Amsterdam. It came with English instructions, but I found a business card with two words on it , tucked in with the fabric, and two measurements…one word is Bldimaat. 4X4 inch…..and the second word is Stripmaat. 4 1/2 inch.  These words would be referencing a fabric cut for the quilt.  I can’t find a translation in Google. Would anyone have an idea as to what these words might mean?

Thank you!

“bldimaat” isn’t a Dutch word, did you perhaps spell it wrong? “stripmaat” is a Dutch word but I have no idea what it means, because I don’t know anything about quilting. The word “maat” means size or measurement. And strip can refer to a piece of something. So perhaps “stripmaat” means the size of the piece of cloth??? 

Also in the Netherlands we use the metric system, so unless it specifically states inches, the size is measured in centimeters. 

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

11 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Hello…I bought a quilt kit in Amsterdam. It came with English instructions, but I found a business card with two words on it , tucked in with the fabric, and two measurements…one word is Bldimaat. 4X4 inch…..and the second word is Stripmaat. 4 1/2 inch.  These words would be referencing a fabric cut for the quilt.  I can’t find a translation in Google. Would anyone have an idea as to what these words might mean?

Thank you!

If you give us the name/address of the shop where you bought the quilt kit, I could call them and ask their explanation/translation. And of course the name of the quilt kit or reference number,,,,, 

7 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

“bldimaat” isn’t a Dutch word, did you perhaps spell it wrong? “stripmaat” is a Dutch word but I have no idea what it means, because I don’t know anything about quilting. The word “maat” means size or measurement. And strip can refer to a piece of something. So perhaps “stripmaat” means the size of the piece of cloth??? 

Also in the Netherlands we use the metric system, so unless it specifically states inches, the size is measured in centimeters. 

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

If you give us the name/address of the shop where you bought the quilt kit, I could call them and ask their explanation/translation. And of course the name of the quilt kit or reference number,,,,, 

Thank you both for trying to help. The woman I chatted with knew I was from Canada, so thinking we used inches…used that measurement. 
The name of the shop is Den Haan & Wagenmaker B.V.   The card says that they specialize in Dutch chintzes and reproduction fabric for patchwork. Patchwork is how most Europeans describe the craft of quilting (as we call it here in North America). 
They are located on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 97

Telephone +31 (0) 20 620 25 25.     That’s the number on the card.

I verified the spelling of the two words.  What I will do is take a picture of the card and post it, perhaps that would help.  I’ll also get the pattern book.

Thank you so much.

Also, I think the mystery may have just been solved. While looking at the pattern book, I saw a separate piece of paper from the shop. It’s describing what pattern, on what page, and the ruler required. Then the last sentence says….”We used 4 1/2 inch wide strips to yield a block size of 4 X 4 inch”.  

I believe that the last sentence is what those words are trying to explain on the business card.  Do you think so?

The handwriting isn’t very clear, but I believe the first word to be “blokmaat”. The letters o and k seem to have merged together. 

It still doesn’t make any sense to me, because I’m not a quilter, but with your additional info containing the term “block size”, I’m now fairly certain it says blokmaat. Literally translated “blokmaat” means “block size”. 

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Also, I think the mystery may have just been solved. While looking at the pattern book, I saw a separate piece of paper from the shop. It’s describing what pattern, on what page, and the ruler required. Then the last sentence says….”We used 4 1/2 inch wide strips to yield a block size of 4 X 4 inch”.  

I believe that the last sentence is what those words are trying to explain on the business card.  Do you think so?

The moment I received your message I was talking to Elsbeth from the quiltshop. She works in the shop since 15 years.... . She does not know what exactly is meant on the business card and asks you to send them an email directly. She will be glad to help you solve this problem. The address is info@dutchquilts.com (but maybe you have their postcardsize card with this address as they give this to all clients?).  I hope you can send the name and/or a photo of the quilt kit and of the pages in the pattern book in the email?    Greetings from Holland and of course: enjoy your next cruise.

Lenny

Edited by MAVIP

12 minutes ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

The handwriting isn’t very clear, but I believe the first word to be “blokmaat”. The letters o and k seem to have merged together. 

It still doesn’t make any sense to me, because I’m not a quilter, but with your additional info containing the term “block size”, I strongly believe it says blokmaat. Literally translated “blokmaat” means “block size”. 

You are absolutely right, it is or has to be blokmaat.... 

Thank you both, Dutch_Travelgirl and Mavip for all your help. I believe the mystery has been solved, and yes, I had a hard time discerning the letters of ‘blokmaat’…but it’s all making sense now.  

I will be back in Amsterdam in August of 2023, and will be visiting the fabric store to show them the finished quilt top.  Will probably buy another kit too!  It’s nice to have the memories of my visits. 

Thank you again, and have a great weekend!  😊

23 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could be of help. Even though I’m still not a 100% sure what “blokmaat” and “stripmaat” really mean…. 🙂

Good luck with your quilting and enjoy your weekend!

I can give you a short, or long, detailed, or surface, introduction to quilting, LOL.  Most quilts are composed of ‘blocks’, some plain, some intricate….and the ‘strips’ are the long pieces of fabric in between the blocks, or as a border around the blocks.  There, basic layouts!  
Thank you again for your help, and all weekends are good ones!  Enjoy your’s as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MAVIP said:

You are quite welcome. I can imagine you go back to that shop, Elsbeth is a very kind lady in my opinion and she really did her utmost to understand what was written. And I copy  @Dutch_Travelgirlby saying: good luck with your quilting project. 

I was in email contact with Elsbeth, and she actually remembered the day I was there. I hope to meet her again next year to show her the finished quilt top. I remembered that she was quite lovely and patient with me. I’m looking forward to my visit next year already!  Thank you for the good luck!

• Thanks 1