Dining - Indian and similar dishes onboard?

Wishing on a star

On 8/25/2022 at 11:19 PM, Sea Green said:

I don't recall seeing any Indian food on my Princess cruise

Always found Indian courses in the buffet on every Princess cruise I have been on, but it is a very "Americanised" version, and I suspect the sauces come out of a catering tin. No subtlety,  limited spicing and normally just described as "curry" !  Oh for a proper vindaloo ! 

1 hour ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I would even write down any good suggestions if anyone had any.

We said told the head waiter, "Chef's Choice. Hot with chicken."

What came was a milder northern style curry, medium heat to our tastes. We are used to southern, bolder tastes, but they couldn't have known that. Nice change from usual MDR offerings. Lots of looks from adjoining tables. Don't wear white. Turmeric happens.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Always found Indian courses in the buffet on every Princess cruise I have been on, but it is a very "Americanised" version, and I suspect the sauces come out of a catering tin. No subtlety,  limited spicing and normally just described as "curry" !  Oh for a proper vindaloo ! 

Why is Brits all think they know what "proper" Indian food is?

The cuisine on Princess Cruise Lines vary ship to ship and I am sure where the ship cruises and who it serves vary. I notice West Coast originating Princess cruises have notably more Asian food than FL based Princess cruises and it's been so long since I was on Princess in Europe, I don't recall the menus well.

I don't think enough Americans like Indian food for Princess to make a big deal about it and it is certainly never going to be as spicy as an Indian restaurant. Princess's Thai dishes aren't as hot as Thai restaurants, Princess's Mexican dishes aren't as spicy as Mexican restaurants, Princess's Sichuan dishes aren't as hot as Sichuan restaurants, and so on.

Are there any major cruise lines that have Specialty Dining that is Indian?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, Mike45LC said:

I was amazed at the Indian station at the buffet on Celebrity Edge.  I had not seen such a broad array of Indian food offered on a cruise before (or since).  The labeling of the various offerings left a little to be desired, from the perspective of a novice on Indian cuisine.

Carnival used to have a special Indian restaurant on the Lido deck called " Tandoori" which was excellent.  I think almost all their ships stopped it now, for some reason.  It was excellent

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Are there any major cruise lines that have Specialty Dining that is Indian?

Yes, P&O (UK) have Sindhu, an Indian speciality dining restaurant.

And one of the Saga ships has a speciality Nepalese restaurant.

Edited by wowzz